2020 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 19/06/2020 at 01:24, Red Ranger 1 said:

To be fair, Leah is the most married person on the show: I don't think anyone else has had three on-screen weddings to different people!

Colby and Jasmine were indeed like watching a slow motion train wreck. I do feel sorry for Jasmine, who does seem to realise on one level that she's behaved wrongly, trying to smooth things over with Tori yesterday and succeeding with Irene today. Leah seems to keep changing her mind with how sympathetic she is but I think she recognises that they need to make some allowances, as does Irene. No sympathy for Colby and his pity party: He's got off very very lightly given that he murdered a man the day after his wedding, Chelsea should have reported him and had done with it, yet he's still here. Dean was absolutely right that he's got no-one to blame but himself and Mackenzie is better off without him. I'm glad he didn't apologise despite Willow wanting him to. The kiss was a bit confusing: The dialogue implies that Jasmine kissed Colby, yet he was the one that moved towards her.Even if she pulled him towards her, it must have been done very gently, certainly not in a way that he was taken by surprise or couldn't have pulled away before they kissed.

Ben and Maggie was another slow motion train wreck. Whether Ben's being reasonable or not, Maggie hanging around indulging in forced jollity was never going to make things better. But of course, actually trying to talk about things doesn't go down well either.Ziggy has clearly decided she wants them back together but isn't going to be putting pressure on Ben. Wasn't she meant to have moved back home though? What's with the moody shots of Maggie on her own again? Anyway, whilst it could backfire badly on her, in a sense Maggie doesn't have any choice but to issue ultimatums.

Sally had three weddings but two ended at the altar.!

That was a strange episode, though there was some good characterisation.

Both Jasmine and Colby beating themselves up because they felt they had let each other (and Robbo) down.  They had a chat and sorted things, then the next day Colby tells he her can't risk letting her down again, so she feels abandoned by yet another person.  Not sure what the point of all that was.

I can understand Ryder's reaction to seeing his dad turn up out of the blue after 19 years but Quinn did try to contact him to tell him (although I agree that she shouldn't have given Evan his address without Ryder's permission).

Roo seemed a little unsympathetic to Evan at first, which is only natural as she wants to protect Ryder but based on her own experience she was able to see things from another perspective and warmed to him a little.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 22:55, j.laur5 said:

Sally had three weddings but two ended at the altar.!

Yes, despite her serial fiancé tendencies, she was only actually married once!

So Ryder didn't know his dad's name? I'm not sure if we knew that or not but it does seem strange that he never asked, especially as he knew the name of his grandfather that his mother only knew for a few weeks. It does seem a bit late in the day for Evan to turn up wanting to get to know him.I'm in two minds as to whether Quinn did the right thing telling Evan where to find him: It might have been best to call Ryder and ask if he wanted Evan to know,  but I'm not sure it was entirely his decision and it's not like he gave anyone a choice when he rocked up in Summer Bay without them knowing he existed.Evan could probably have tracked him down sooner or later even without Quinn's help.(Anyway, I always feel a bit protective of Quinn since I wasn't keen on the way she was painted as a bad mother to justify Ryder living with Roo and Alf.)And with Duncan and Ric out there, there's quite a few potential Stewart heirs...

I couldn't really fault Colby in his first chat with Jasmine: He couldn't exactly pretend he hadn't seen her and they had to bring up The Kiss sooner or later.And even though they both seemed to be indulging in self-flagellation, they did eventually seem to clear the air a bit.So what on earth was he playing at at the end? He thinks he's a screw-up that Jasmine's better off without: Well, yeah, he's probably right, but he really should have thought about whether that was really the right time to decide that when she obviously saw it as a rejection.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

I'm glad Ryder changed his mind about seeing Evan after setting off for Salt.  They seemed to get on ok but then Ryder seemed annoyed that Roo had let Evan have a van.

Willow is back to being a go-between again.

I usually like Jasmine but I actually agree with Justin that it would probably be best if she had a fresh start somewhere else, or at least went away for a break.  Despite Tori imploring her to stay for Grace's sake, can they really trust her again?

On 21/06/2020 at 16:21, CaptainHulk said:

Just like Marco Alessi on Neighbours many moons ago. All we see is his back and Faye screams blue murder thinking he's a burglar right before the ep ends ? 

Sadie's arrival - by helicopter no less - in Emmerdale.  Naturally  that nine times out of ten it's at the end of an episode. :lol:

Edited by H&Alover
  • Haha 1

I didn't get the impression Ryder didn't know his dad's name, maybe have been briefly mentioned when Ryder then Quinn were in the bay.:unsure: Evan must have had one  very convincing argument to get Quinn to give him Ryder's address, she was hardly his number one fan.  Quinn did try and ring Ryder to warn him  but they kept missing each others call.  From what Evan said he just pitched up early without finding out if Ryder would be OK with it, but Quinn should have cleared it with Ryder first, he's an adult now, 19 in case we missed the reference to his age.   Now this really isn't  a spoiler but anyone else reckon there is more to Evan wanting to know Ryder right now  than he's saying. :wink:     He is a charmer, see where Ryder gets it from, even if he wasn't around. 

Ah the  ?  on the beach. Willow had warned Colby not to mention the ?, but after they'd run out of the how's the hangover chat, Colby decided to bite the bullet, it couldn't  be ignored forever and the longer they left it the more awkward it would have become.  Jasmine's  panic attack changed Willow's opinion of letting it lie, Jas needed  to talk about it.  Colby felt he'd let Robbo down by letting Jasmine kiss him and she felt she  had because she kissed Colby.  She did raise a smile when she mentioned Robbo  would be looking down rolling his eyes. All it was was a drunken snog between two friend, it happens.   How Colby thinks that Jasmine would be better off not having him as a friend is a bit skewed, maybe he thinks he needs to get his head in order before he can be a good friend to anyone?  He could have explained it a whole lot better to Jasmine who does feel rejected when it's nothing personal.  A confrontation between  her Tori and Justin, as seen in trailer, doesn't seem to add to her feelings she 's not wanted. 

Edited by H&Alover

On 18/06/2020 at 16:24, Red Ranger 1 said:

To be fair, Leah is the most married person on the show: I don't think anyone else has had three on-screen weddings to different people!

Four weddings if you count her vow renewal to Dan. Is it 6 fiancees? Ted, Vinnie, Dan, Elijah, Zac & (by force) Douglas.

I’d care more about Ben & Maggie’s relationship drama if he hadn’t just moved out & back in. They’ve also been through her cancer, him saying he couldn’t live without her, then his depression and come through both (almost). Would this break them?

Evan does feel a bit like an older version of Ryder, he's got that same sense of humour.It looks as though Ryder has now fallen out with Roo as well, after saying she and Alf were the only family he needed, but she really couldn't have turned Evan away in the circumstances.Given Ryder Evan's number when he was that in mood was daft, he was always going to rip it up, but he had other thoughts later.

Justin does have a point that a fresh start could be good for Jasmine, but I think they need to be very careful about making a blanket statement.If she goes to stay/live with Robbo's parents, all well and good, but she doesn't seem to have many family or friends outside of Summer Bay so there's a real chance she could end up completely isolated if she stays.So I think people need to make sure this isn't just some knee-jerk reaction that is going to make everything worse.I can well understand Irene, Leah, Tori and Willow all being concerned for her.Justin criticising Leah for disagreeing him is potentially dangerous when she's just been with someone who didn't allow her an opinion.

Colby's back at work.We're all doomed.

Edited by Red Ranger 1

Tori is making FAR too many excuses for Jasmine.  If Justin doesn't end up say "I told you so", then I will.

I hope Jasmine honestly meant her apology to Tori & Marilyn but I suspect she only said it because that was the only way she could continue to see Grace.

Lustin were cute.  No reason why they both shouldn't have differing opinions, so long as both respect each others opinion, which they do anyway.

I don't usually find myself siding with Ziggy but she was absolutely right telling Ben to "try harder".  Unfortunately it appears to have come to nothing because he just can't get past what has happened.

Evan and Ryder are alike, part from the  fact Ryder doesn't have a musical bone in his body.  Not sure if Roo needed Ryder's permission to let Evan a van? :unsure:  They had a good talk, if not exactly an in depth one and had parted on good terms.  He's not  a bad looking guy either. 

Don't panic Red, Colby's only on desk duty.:lol:

When Colby told Willow what he had said to Jasmine she got angry but hadn't her and Dean told Colby to get himself sorted before he took on other's problems?   He definitely could have phrased it a lot better so she didn't feel rejected which wasn't what he intended at all. You do have to remember Jasmine is not herself at the moment, she is still grieving for both Robbo and the non baby and Justin, more than Tori has banned her from seeing Grace.  It looked to me Tori didn't know what Justin had actually said to Jasmine, hence the big row back at home. Justin didn't mean she should stay away from Grace for ever, just to step back for a while.  Jasmine taking Grace and then lying to various people was not a wise idea, but she would never have hurt Grace. While not going as far as saying Jasmine should leave the bay never to return, maybe a break with Ian and Wendy would be good for her, like Justin suggested, there are a lot of memories in the bay for her to handle in her current fragile state.  Leah was giving  as good as she got in her argument with Justin, didn't appear cowered at all.  On that point how would she have felt if someone, very well meaning like Jas, had done the same with VJ when he was Grace's age.:unsure: I'm not meaning when VJ got kidnapped that's something else entirely.  Saying all that though the scene we saw from tonight didn't give me confidence about letting Jas be near Grace.