Best ever year?

Homeandawayfan.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1995. End of.

It was a real "Why aye, Man!" Year.

There was plenty of Drama and cliffhangers that had you salivating over 24 hours/the weekend also a number of laughs (Jack/Irene/Curtis Christmas lights misunderstanding, Selina and Jeans, etc). Pound-for-Pound Home and Away's greatest season. A Number of Classic characters came back and two were permanent. Ratings were at 9m over here (Ratings they'd kill for now) and the show was still on all magazine covers.  Even ITV's censorship couldn't dilute it.

37 minutes ago, CaptainHulk said:

1995. End of.

There was plenty of Drama and cliffhangers that had you salivating over 24 hours/the weekend also a number of laughs (Jack/Irene/Curtis Christmas lights misunderstanding, Selina and Jeans, etc). Pound-for-Pound Home and Away's greatest season. A Number of Classic characters came back and two were permanent. Ratings were at 9m over here (Ratings they'd kill for now) and the show was still on all magazine covers.  Even ITV's censorship couldn't dilute it.

Yes. I remember seeing the episodes on 7TWO with Selina's Jeans and her wanting to rip them as they were the 'in' thing and Irene telling her no and her doing it anyway and Irene cutting crook at her. I also remember, or is this 1994, the debate thing, where two of the school girls had to debate, and they had to support the side that they actually oppose.

10 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

1995. End of.

Yes, 1995 was a fantastic time for Home and Away. It was a golden era for the show. This video shows the highlights of the year: 

I'd say 1996 was just as good too, with storylines including Shane's death, the flood climaxing in Michael's death, Donald Fisher and Marilyn getting married, Chloe's rape, the earthquake. They were both amazing years for the show. I really wish that today's Home and Away could be just as good.

• 2 weeks later...

2006 was the best year of Home & Away in my opinion - especially in terms of drama!

I mean... Project 56, Mumma Rose and 'The Believers', the cyclone, Flynn's death, Zoe a.k.a Summer Bay Stalker blowing up Jack and Martha's wedding, Matilda's burns, helicopter crash, Graham and Amanda's relationship, Graham's death, Alf locked up, Josh West's death, Macca lashing out at Cassie, Amanda revealed as Belle's Mum, Sally got stabbed...

• 5 months later...

In terms of a single year, hard to say.  Probably 2003.

The second half of 2004 and the first half of 2008 were particularly strong.  Both of those eras took a very "back to basics" approach.

First half of 2005 was good, however I felt the show changed too much after that, and especially so into 2006 - the barn explosion and helicopter crash were the real turning points IMHO, that's also when the titles got scrapped and I think that marked a real sea-change in the style of the show.

It lost the escapist, sunshiney vibe which I think was such a huge draw, particularly to British viewers.

On 08/02/2020 at 00:52, Homeandawayfan. said:

I am stuck between 1988, 1989 or 1995. If I had to make a quick decision, I;d probably go for 1995.

Three very good years :)

On 28/01/2020 at 08:53, Jamie! said:

I'd say 1996 was just as good too, with storylines including Shane's death, the flood climaxing in Michael's death, Donald Fisher and Marilyn getting married, Chloe's rape, the earthquake. They were both amazing years for the show. I really wish that today's Home and Away could be just as good.

I am torn between 1988, 1989, 1996 and 1999. 1996 had the earthquake and the flood, Marilyn and Don's wedding, the start of Chloe/Brad, Angel's departure (couldn't stand her, so a good moment!) and two very iconic death scenes. I know I am in the minority here, but I actually enjoyed the Joey, Casey, Liam, Steph teen group, which this year too. 

1999 was a bit transitional year between Pippa and the Sutherland family, but we had a number of characters at their peak, such as Vinnie, Jesse and the Nash family. I also enjoyed the Ailsa/Alf story, the Byron story and Robert Perez stuff, which all played out over 1999. We also a bunch of exciting new characters towards the end of the year too, such as Peta, Edward, Shauna and Ken.  

On 27/01/2020 at 11:31, CaptainHulk said:

1995. End of.

9 million in 1995? Is that all, the reason why I question it, is just a year or 2 earlier, H&A was getting 14 million and occasionally 15 million in 1993/1994. I wonder if 1995 H&A was getting the same figures as 1994. I looked at old viewing figures for 1993/1994 UK pace and it was staggering.

1992 was a good year for H&A as well. I loved it when Don's washing machine (or dishwasher) overflowed.

Archived