Martha Snr - My thoughts

So when it was announced that Martha Stewart Snr was returning I really wanted nothing to do with this story, but over the last few weeks I got curious because she isa played by Belinda Giblin who I loved in Heartbreak High and in the early years as Cynthia Ross, I know i was one of the main members here to cry retcon at the time but on watching the Martha story in context i feel it's not a retcon because of two factors:

1. Martha was presumed dead after an investigation and no body being found as both Alf and Colby clearly stated

and

2 Everyone is saying Alf is a bigamist because he married Ailsa in 1988

Untrue the law in Australia says that if your spouse is presumed dead you are able to remarry and your previous marriage becomes annulled if your first spouse is presumed dead, so Alf's marriage to Ailsa was perfectly legal

Everyone is also complaining that Ailsa was never mentioned during the initial stages of the 2018 story, again false she was mentioned by both Alf and Roo on seperate occasions and realistically i seriously doubt Alf would have/will mention(ed) Ailsa to Martha so as not to hurt her, and personally i think it's great to see the big guy finally get a dramatic story but this is just my opinion :) 

The problem in my mind isn't that Martha came back from the dead but that Alf had known the fact that she wasn't dead for decades. There is also the discrepancy that originally it was a boating accident and not simply drowning. Plus throughout the show it was never mentioned that no body was found. It is these facts that make it a retcon.

I personally hate the storyline though I do agree that Belinda is excellent and is a great addition to the show. I don't see why she couldn't have been brought back as a nicer version of Cynthia Ross, stuck up a romance with Alf after they talked about old times and then revealed emotional problems. Roo could have had a problem with Alf getting close to someone and it could have been a replay to her behaviour in the Justine Clarke days when she disapproved, thought 'Cynthia' was a gold digger after heading stories about her past and acted accordingly. Writers with imagination can do anything but still remain consistent to the past.

32 minutes ago, Martin said:

The problem in my mind isn't that Martha came back from the dead but that Alf had known the fact that she wasn't dead for decades. There is also the discrepancy that originally it was a boating accident and not simply drowning. Plus throughout the show it was never mentioned that no body was found. It is these facts that make it a retcon.

I personally hate the storyline though I do agree that Belinda is excellent and is a great addition to the show. I don't see why she couldn't have been brought back as a nicer version of Cynthia Ross, stuck up a romance with Alf after they talked about old times and then revealed emotional problems. Roo could have had a problem with Alf getting close to someone and it could have been a replay to her behaviour in the Justine Clarke days when she disapproved, thought 'Cynthia' was a gold digger after heading stories about her past and acted accordingly. Writers with imagination can do anything but still remain consistent to the past.

Thing is though without Michael or Haydn there's no point in having Cynthia return Michael has been dead 23 years and god knows where Haydn is in 2019/20 even if they were to explore the route of having Haydn back the only people he'd know now are Alf Maz and maybe Irene? so it'd be stretching suspension of disbelief a bit IMHO

15 minutes ago, Summer's Bay said:

I could be wrong and please correct me if I am, but I am sure I read here somewhere that Alf admitted that he knew that Martha Sr wasnt dead?

That’s correct but he only found out years later by which point he was married to Ailsa, I mean was he supposed to divorce Ailsa and go back to someone who didn’t want to know? And she said not to find her in the letter she sent him

5 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

That’s correct but he only found out years later by which point he was married to Ailsa, I mean was he supposed to divorce Ailsa and go back to someone who didn’t want to know? And she said not to find her in the letter she sent him

Was that ever addressed in the show?

1 minute ago, Summer's Bay said:

Was that ever addressed in the show?

No but again he was married to Ailsa by that stage this seems to be what everyone here is overlooking Alf wasn’t going to just divorce Ailsa for Martha who told him she couldn’t deal with marriage and being a mother (which is why he never told Roo back then either)

2 hours ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

No but again he was married to Ailsa by that stage this seems to be what everyone here is overlooking Alf wasn’t going to just divorce Ailsa for Martha who told him she couldn’t deal with marriage and being a mother (which is why he never told Roo back then either)

Maybe its just me, but addressing it wouldn't have had an impact on his relationship with Ailsa. It just seems odd that he got this secret letter and forgot about it for years. 

Archived