Short Lived Foster Children

joany208121

There have been a few short lived foster children over the course of the show, with many having returned to family members or moving on very early. Know some of these fell under when the Ross family were Emergency Foster carers, but there seems to be a emerging trend of short lived kids at John & Maz's. 

• Tracey Turner
  •  Maya Krakajcek
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Skye Peters
  • Ty Anderson

Is there a reason why they didnt stay on the show longer? 

Feel free to add if i've missed any.

2 hours ago, joany208121 said:

There have been a few short lived foster children over the course of the show, with many having returned to family members or moving on very early. Know some of these fell under when the Ross family were Emergency Foster carers, but there seems to be a emerging trend of short lived kids at John & Maz's. 

• Tracey Turner
  •  Maya Krakajcek
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Skye Peters
  • Ty Anderson

Seems like Jordan, Skye and Ty were set to be regulars, but flopped I guess. Real weird.

• Tracey Turner
  •  Maya Krakajcek
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Skye Peters
  • Ty Anderson

Who was Maya Krakajcek?. 

Maya was the Bosnian girl fostered by Michael and Pippa after her father was killed, until her family decided a war zone was safer than Summer Bay.

Off the top of my head, Kevin Baker, Heather from 1995 and George Berry spring to mind.

Skye was listed as a regular but got unceremoniously dropped after a few months of mishandling, for whatever reason.To be fair, Lynn Davenport didn't last much longer.New foster kids being written out after a year or less seemed pretty common in the early days (Viv, Simon, Karen).The others, who were only listed as guests, were likely only hired for the one storyline.

20 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Skye was listed as a regular but got unceremoniously dropped after a few months of mishandling, for whatever reason.

Yeah, that was a weird one give she was made a regular. It was definitely not Marlo Kelly's choice to leave so soon. 

Dodge and Diesel (?) were short-lived too, but again, they were hired just for the one storyline. 

24 minutes ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

New foster kids being written out after a year or less seemed pretty common in the early days (Viv, Simon, Karen)

Emma too! She was Ailsa's niece, not technically a foster kid, but still shortlived nevertheless. Even later in the 1990s foster kids were written out after a year or so (i.e. Stephanie, Liam, Aaron, Casey, Tegan, Peta). They lasted a bit longer, but still... 

On 04/10/2019 at 18:56, Red Ranger 1 said:

Maya was the Bosnian girl fostered by Michael and Pippa after her father was killed, until her family decided a war zone was safer than Summer Bay.

Off the top of my head, Kevin Baker, Heather from 1995 and George Berry spring to mind.

Skye was listed as a regular but got unceremoniously dropped after a few months of mishandling, for whatever reason.To be fair, Lynn Davenport didn't last much longer.New foster kids being written out after a year or less seemed pretty common in the early days (Viv, Simon, Karen).The others, who were only listed as guests, were likely only hired for the one storyline.

Do you mean Ryan Baker? 

On 04/10/2019 at 19:33, j.laur5 said:

Was Brodie Hanson a short term foster child?

On 04/10/2019 at 19:24, adam436 said:

Yeah, that was a weird one give she was made a regular. It was definitely not Marlo Kelly's choice to leave so soon. 

Dodge and Diesel (?) were short-lived too, but again, they were hired just for the one storyline. 

Emma too! She was Ailsa's niece, not technically a foster kid, but still shortlived nevertheless. Even later in the 1990s foster kids were written out after a year or so (i.e. Stephanie, Liam, Aaron, Casey, Tegan, Peta). They lasted a bit longer, but still... 

I wonder what lead to characters such as Brodie and the 90s teens to be written out after only being on for such a short period. When characters appear to be copies of another after several years, it would make sense to create a longer haul plan for character arcs to keep the stories fresh and unique. 

Do you mean Ryan Baker? 

No, I mean Kevin Baker. He was an aboriginal boy fostered by Michael and Pippa for a month or so in 1993, after Roxy and Sarah found him living in the bush and convinced him to come to Summer Bay High. Ryan Baker was Dan and Amanda's son who was around for two or three years.

I wonder did they bring in Kevin Baker just so they could say Home and Away wasn't just a soap with white people in it? No disrespect to the actor who played him but Kevin came across as something of a cardboard character. An artistic Aboriginal who was taken in by the Rosses, then left again almost as quickly as he'd arrived. 

Archived