Early Years on Amazon Prime UK

jmford85

Really enjoying the episodes so far, bringing back lots of old memories. Have just watched the episode where Frank sings the song he wrote for Roo for the first time. Nice to hear it as 'Have you ever been alone' has been going round in my head for the last 30 years and frequently comes out when I'm having a hum or a little singsong when nobody is listening!

I also didn't remember how much I liked Nico though I did remember him. Roger Oakley and Vanessa Downing are an amazing couple, they work so well together. I doubt the show would ever have become the success it did if it wasn't for their solid believable partnership. Looking forward to seeing Narelle, Philip, Stacey and Andrew make their debuts soon.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/10/2019 at 22:13, Homeandawayfan. said:

1988 was probably my fave ever year. Shame though how Tom seemed to become a secondary character in the second half of the year.

Alf was keeping order around his manor in 1988 and still doing it now. It does feel like he is The Don of Summer Bay, seeing as his family founded the area.

H&A was always gonna be about the Young, tbf.

It's a good starting point, drama and comedy blend well ("I warned yoooou duuuude, Summer Bay Ain't Big enough for the both of us!"?)  but Pound-for-pound for I'd pick 1995 as my favorite Season, Shangel or no Shangel. 

On 02/11/2019 at 15:51, c120701 said:

There’s a line from Alf in Episode 18 about his wild oats solving the World food shortage. With hindsight, Owen, Quinn, the close call with Penn... it adds up.

Yep, if Penn hadn't spotted him, there'd most likely be a 5th Stewart child bowling up now. Also,Alf was alluded to being the Curtis of his day but far luckier.

It's certainly looking good so far.

The only niggle is the season numbering - they seem to be categorising them by each batch of 200 that they're uploading, rather than the actual seasons.

So we've now got the last 29 episodes of 1988 under Season 2 (1989), which finishes with episodes that aired in September 1989. If they then do the same thing again with "Season 3" (touch wood) then we're talking a huge offset.

It may not matter much to the more casual of viewers of course, but I think it would make far more sense to include those extra 20-30 episodes within each season so that it's all in sync and the season finales are in the right place. Whether it's a technical limitation or some random company policy I don't know, but it may be worth noting in any feedback so they can take it into consideration.

But other than that, it's all good!

If another batch is added then it will start off with Dannii Minogue's first ep (#400), which might be a bit of a draw for some.

As much as I love having the theme and opening credits, watching episodes back to back makes you realise how gratuitous the length was. Over half the shots are scenery and we get to “No matter where you are” before we see the first credit when actually Tom & Pippa staring lovingly at each other would work much better at (Tom) “You know we belong together” and (Pippa) “You and I forever and ever.”

The storytelling really is brilliant at this point in the show. Pippa only being able to make a house cake and then surrounding the house and family with burning candles for Steven’s birthday - it’s genius. Tying in Steven’s backstory and developing the character. Pippa’s realisation of what she’d done was fantastic too.

Archived