Early Years on Amazon Prime UK

jmford85

29 minutes ago, Deeuk said:

I am really trying to like classic roo because of how much I love current roo but I am finding it really difficult to identify with her. Take the foster kids of the fletchers for eg, they have reason to be a tad selfish and self serving (like Carly), but they’ve seem to have more about them than roo who grew up with a lot more privilege and a near perfect father in Alf. I loved when she was first introduced and when she dated frank. It all appeared to go downhill for her after ailsa and her father, but even when she claimed to want to make her own choices, she never afforded her father the privilege of making his own choice. She’d sooner see him alone and unhappy than happy with another woman. I find her selfishness so hard to contend with, at her young age. 

im quite looking forward to Marilyn and Irene, they’re also 2 that I absolutely adore. I’ve only recently heard that Tom dies and I am actually dreading watching it, I love him and love him and pippa together. 

bobby- she’s a great girl, fierce with a heart of gold. She’s just a softie under all that toughness. Same with Donald. I’m not sure why I get the feeling of something between her and Donald (idk if it’s romantic as there’s quite a large age gap but there’s SOMETHING there). I think Sally’s got to be my favourite, I just love her sass ? 

Where exactly are you up to? What's the current story?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Deeuk said:

I am really trying to like classic roo because of how much I love current roo but I am finding it really difficult to identify with her. Take the foster kids of the fletchers for eg, they have reason to be a tad selfish and self serving (like Carly), but they’ve seem to have more about them than roo who grew up with a lot more privilege and a near perfect father in Alf. I loved when she was first introduced and when she dated frank. It all appeared to go downhill for her after ailsa and her father, but even when she claimed to want to make her own choices, she never afforded her father the privilege of making his own choice. She’d sooner see him alone and unhappy than happy with another woman. I find her selfishness so hard to contend with, at her young age. 

I think you should keep watching, because I don't think it's as simple as a "personality transplant". The character does grow a lot during her time on the show, and while she's not the same person by any means, I think by the time she leaves she's closer to the character she was when she first came back in 2010 and you can see the path that would lead her there.

11 hours ago, Sally Keating said:

Where exactly are you up to? What's the current story?

I am just after Gary samuels stole the 12000 from the macklin safe. He’s just attempted to con lance and Martin into a “business proposition”. Gary and Carly are kind of seeing each other. I think I’m an episode or 2 shy of completing season 1 

4 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think you should keep watching, because I don't think it's as simple as a "personality transplant". The character does grow a lot during her time on the show, and while she's not the same person by any means, I think by the time she leaves she's closer to the character she was when she first came back in 2010 and you can see the path that would lead her there.

The thing that makes me say personality transplant is that I can’t ever imagine current roo being capable of such vindictiveness and selfishness (even as a teenager). I find her cold and calculating at 17. People grow yeah but it’s a bit of a stretch to go from little demon into angel. I’d have much preferred if morag was actually the one behind Roos actions as It would make me have a bit more sympathy for her (I really don’t like not liking her ?). I’m keen on seeing the change if I’m honest. 

When Georgie Parker first appeared as Roo there was a lot of scenes where Alf preferred Marilyn (and Sally) and couldn't totally trust/open up to Roo which she found hard to take. I think this was nice continuity as it showed that Marilyn and Sally had become to Alf what he had always wanted from Roo and not received.

10 hours ago, Deeuk said:

The thing that makes me say personality transplant is that I can’t ever imagine current roo being capable of such vindictiveness and selfishness (even as a teenager). I find her cold and calculating at 17. People grow yeah but it’s a bit of a stretch to go from little demon into angel. I’d have much preferred if morag was actually the one behind Roos actions as It would make me have a bit more sympathy for her (I really don’t like not liking her ?). I’m keen on seeing the change if I’m honest. 

I think if you're up to the Gary Samuels storyline then you're more or less at the turning point. Martha being kidnapped hit Roo hard and caused her to lose a lot of her selfishness and stop causing trouble for Alf and Ailsa. I think possibly her saving grace is that in her own way she always loved Alf and her hostility towards Ailsa was down to not thinking she was good enough for him. But yes, she did take it way too far, and take way too much pleasure in causing trouble between them, and that was something she had to learn to supress. I guess present day Roo can sometimes go too far in thinking she knows what's best for people too, it's just it's done in a more adult sense rather than a teenager sneaking around.

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I think if you're up to the Gary Samuels storyline then you're more or less at the turning point. Martha being kidnapped hit Roo hard and caused her to lose a lot of her selfishness and stop causing trouble for Alf and Ailsa. I think possibly her saving grace is that in her own way she always loved Alf and her hostility towards Ailsa was down to not thinking she was good enough for him. But yes, she did take it way too far, and take way too much pleasure in causing trouble between them, and that was something she had to learn to supress. I guess present day Roo can sometimes go too far in thinking she knows what's best for people too, it's just it's done in a more adult sense rather than a teenager sneaking around.

I don’t doubt her love for Alf at all. He’s possibly the one person she loves as much as she does herself. They’ve not shown her since she’s decided to give Martha up for adoption (another selfish decision imo. I’d have loved if she’d given the baby to poor Celia instead to bring up). Looking forward to seeing her again if as you suggest, the kidnapping has changed her. I’ve got to say that as much as Alf is quite old fashioned in the way that he thinks, roo is really lucky to have him on her side (Celia also). 

A bit off topic here but is there any other way to watch classic episodes of h&a online bar amazon prime? There’s only a limited number of episodes on prime and I do wish to continue watching it through the years if it is at all possible 

4 hours ago, Martin said:

When Georgie Parker first appeared as Roo there was a lot of scenes where Alf preferred Marilyn (and Sally) and couldn't totally trust/open up to Roo which she found hard to take. I think this was nice continuity as it showed that Marilyn and Sally had become to Alf what he had always wanted from Roo and not received.

Sally is a little darling, I absolutely adore her and little voice ?

On 19/02/2020 at 01:36, Deeuk said:

Sally is a little darling, I absolutely adore her and little voice ?

Yeah, she's cute as a button and grows up to be a hottie.

Back when 7Two were showing these eps and it was being uploaded to "a globablly popular" video sharing site which I cannot name here. I was downing the series like an addict. I would cane like 10 episodes a day (easy as I was unemployed at the time). 1988 takes a while to get going but when it gets there it GETS there.

Oh, and you don't need to look too hard for eps.

On 21/02/2020 at 10:06, CaptainHulk said:

Yeah, she's cute as a button and grows up to be a hottie.

Back when 7Two were showing these eps and it was being uploaded to "a globablly popular" video sharing site which I cannot name here. I was downing the series like an addict. I would cane like 10 episodes a day (easy as I was unemployed at the time). 1988 takes a while to get going but when it gets there it GETS there.

Oh, and you don't need to look too hard for eps.

I wouldn't say little Sally is "as cute as a button"

Her attitude to Dodge and her "high and mighty" attitude of being smarter than everybody else, has always disgusted me.

Archived