Early Years on Amazon Prime UK

jmford85

19 hours ago, c120701 said:

Did Ailsa’s flat behind the Diner become the old Nash house (later Leah’s)? The main room has a pretty similar layout at the back.

Can certainly see your logic layout wise, but the arch at the back of the room at the Nash House was a lot smaller - so I wouldn't say it's a reused set piece on this occasion.

The beach is also pretty much a secondary character for a while isn’t it? It’s not really seen after the first couple of episodes for a good few weeks. Summer Bay seems more country than coastal.

I was told that originally Seven had an agreement with Palm Beach SLSC (the 'posh' one at the southern end of the beach) to assist in their shooting, but they soon changed their minds and gave Seven the flick. So they later went up to North Palm Beach SLSC and the rest is history. Perhaps the lack of beach scenes early on had something to do with that...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dan F said:

Can certainly see your logic layout wise, but the arch at the back of the room at the Nash House was a lot smaller - so I wouldn't say it's a reused set piece on this occasion.

I was told that originally Seven had an agreement with Palm Beach SLSC (the 'posh' one at the southern end of the beach) to assist in their shooting, but they soon changed their minds and gave Seven the flick. So they later went up to North Palm Beach SLSC and the rest is history. Perhaps the lack of beach scenes early on had something to do with that...

Amazing - I don’t know what that end looked like in 1987/1988, but if it looked like it did now it would have given Summer Bay a totally different feel.

I’m only just up to the first appearance of Ailsa’s flat, so I’ll look out for that.

I did wonder if Nico’s kitchen table was the table that ended up in the Palace, but it could have just been a new one.

11 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It burned down in 1989 so, no.

I meant the studio set, which could have survived and been given a lick of paint.

56 minutes ago, c120701 said:

Amazing - I don’t know what that end looked like in 1987/1988, but if it looked like it did now it would have given Summer Bay a totally different feel.

I couldn't say whether it would have affected the actual part of the beach they filmed on or not (given they were at the Northern end in the Pilot anyway), it was more their help with the logistics of filming in the area.

It's just one possible explanation as to why it wasn't very beach-centric for a while anyway - I think they may have pulled out after the Pilot, but it could have been later (it was a conversation I had in-person over 12 years ago so it's a bit sketchy). Obviously the surf club itself didn't become a feature in the show until 1989 anyway.

56 minutes ago, c120701 said:

I did wonder if Nico’s kitchen table was the table that ended up in the Palace, but it could have just been a new one.

Wow. They are identical, got to be the same one surely... unless that particular table was very popular and a common sight in furniture stores for many years ?

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

I couldn't say whether it would have affected the actual part of the beach they filmed on or not (given they were at the Northern end in the Pilot anyway), it was more their help with the logistics of filming in the area.

It's just one possible explanation as to why it wasn't very beach-centric for a while anyway - I think they may have pulled out after the Pilot, but it could have been later (it was a conversation I had in-person over 12 years ago so it's a bit sketchy). Obviously the surf club itself didn't become a feature in the show until 1989 anyway.

It makes sense as filming outside Ailsa’s store and even the High School exterior stopped around the same time. I wonder if perhaps they considered moving away from Palm Beach.

I meant the studio set, which could have survived and been given a lick of paint.

Don't worry, those of us who credited you with enough intelligence to think to ourselves, "since it burned down in 1989 then that's probably not what he means, its me who's interpreting it wrongly" as opposed to "Oooh I get to correct someone in a snide manner" got what you were saying. :) I see what you mean as well!  It does have that similar layout.

On 21/10/2019 at 08:37, Red Ranger 1 said:

It burned down in 1989 so, no.

Just awful, cold, unfriendly.....

Unnecessary, to sum it up.

Admittedly I said Diner when I meant Store, but I didn’t expect a flat to become a house in story, however I didn’t take your response negatively Red, I just thought you needed more clarification of what I meant which I then provided rather than assuming you were being pedantic.

I don’t want to take us further off topic, I just want to state that I didn’t take offence from it.

Moving on... It’s very interesting watching these episodes knowing that Martha’s alive, MilCo’s real, Bobby & Roo are cousins, Bobby is Fisher’s daughter and Pippa & Roo are going to change drastically.

Tom’s very much of his era too, hearing a Father threatening to spank one of his children seems shocking now, but I’d have thought even then as a foster parent it wouldn’t be the done thing as the children could have been from abusive homes.

10 hours ago, c120701 said:

Admittedly I said Diner when I meant Store, but I didn’t expect a flat to become a house in story, however I didn’t take your response negatively Red, I just thought you needed more clarification of what I meant which I then provided rather than assuming you were being pedantic.

I don’t want to take us further off topic, I just want to state that I didn’t take offence from it.

Thank you for saying so, I'm glad you saw it that way. Hope you continue enjoying the episodes!

Archived