Is it true H&A haven't mentioned the death of Morag?

Skylover

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/09/2019 at 14:55, j.laur5 said:

If they did I think Anne Charleston be good in role!. 

You're joking, right? Morag should never be recast! 

There have times recently where I feel like Morag would have returned had Cornelia been alive and well, such as the recent courtroom scenes and more pointedly, Martha's reappearance, since she was heavily involved in covering up Morag's pregnancy. It does feel that Morag has now just been forgotten entirely, but that seems to be the current writers' way of dealing with the problem. 

If we are lucky enough to ever get a Executive Producer again that wants to acknowledge and is familiar with H&A's history (like Neighbours' current EP does), then maybe one day we might get to farewell Morag. But it's never going to happen while the current team are in charge! 

And how would the current team write it? If Morag dies, then no doubt will fans will want a big onscreen funeral with heaps of returnees (which won't happen, as the current producers don't acknowledge anything more than 10 years in the past!). The reality is that any reference to her death will be very low key and the funeral will be off-screen. An onscreen funeral would not be satisfying either, as everyone will moan that Celia, Fisher, Colleen, Barbara, Ric, Duncan etc. weren't in attendance. Neither of those options will please fans 

34 minutes ago, adam436 said:

There have times recently where I feel like Morag would have returned had Cornelia been alive and well, such as the recent courtroom scenes and more pointedly, Martha's reappearance, since she was heavily involved in covering up Morag's pregnancy. It does feel that Morag has now just been forgotten entirely, but that seems to be the current writers' way of dealing with the problem. 

If we are lucky enough to ever get a Executive Producer again that wants to acknowledge and is familiar with H&A's history (like Neighbours' current EP does), then maybe one day we might get to farewell Morag. But it's never going to happen while the current team are in charge! 

And how would the current team write it? If Morag dies, then no doubt will fans will want a big onscreen funeral with heaps of returnees (which won't happen, as the current producers don't acknowledge anything more than 10 years in the past!). The reality is that any reference to her death will be very low key and the funeral will be off-screen. An onscreen funeral would not be satisfying either, as everyone will moan that Celia, Fisher, Colleen, Barbara, Ric, Duncan etc. weren't in attendance. Neither of those options will please fans 

Just speaking out of my head!. 

Well, Celia, Colleen and Duncan have all appeared in the last 10 years - Colleen was even a regular in the last 10 years! - so I don't think it's quite as simple as that, but truth is that it's very rare for a funeral to include absolutely everyone you'd want to be there in attendance, especially in the case of a long-serving character who's wracked up a decent amount of old friends and family members:No-one came back for Tom's funeral, only Morag came back for Bobby's, no-one came back for Neighbours' Madge's funeral and more recently Sonya's father and younger half-sister were absent from hers. At best, it's all going to be done in a week or so, given that Morag isn't a Bay resident and we're unlikely to get months of Alf and Roo struggling to cope without her. Do we really want Morag's funeral squeezed into a gap during Robbo's endless "who killed my family?" trauma? I think it would need a lot of planning to a)get as many actors as possible available to return and b)make sure there's a decent slot among the storylines where it would be appropriate.

21 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

If Jason Herbison was the EP at H&A he would be much more respectful of iconic characters. He has worked on H&A before but I think in the writing.

He was also a leak for Inside Soap during the mid-late 90s. 

On 28/09/2019 at 12:32, Homeandawayfan. said:

Rob Storey in 1995 was a victim of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome. He just disappeared from the show suddenly. But Rob was hardly a memorable character. Morag may be a victim of Chuck Cunningham Syndrome as well, as her fate has not been divulged.

At least they made out Rob was still around for the next 4yrs despite not being seen. Chuck just vanished lol. 

I would like to see Morag die off screen, and then have an on screen funeral, but it should be planned well in advance. I don't even think it has to happen in the next year necessarily. It just needs to happen at some point in the show and not at a ridiculous point like 30 years or even 10-15 years from now. It should, ideally have characters like Colleen if possible, and maybe Celia, Donald Fisher would also be good and Martha, Roo's daughter. (If she ever returns) It wouldn't need to have characters like Pippa or Sally in my opinion, as while it would be ok if they returned, too many characters returning could ruin it. The focus has to be on Alf and Roo. That said, a card or a voice or video message/call from Sally and also from Pippa (Snr) would be good. A voice phone call would be really easy as those characters wouldn't be needed as the call can be faked. A card is the same. I think they should actually play the credits here in Australia for one night, and that would be as a tribute to Morag and Cornelia, similar to how Neighbours does their sad theme, or used to do it. It could be done really respectfully. 

Either that or Home and Away need to take her out of limbo somehow. I would never agree to a recast, no way would I accept that ever. A character that is kind of similar in ways to Morag, yes, but not the same character played by a different actress.

I think Morag’s death for me would have to start with a returning character such as Barbara coming to Summer Bay to break the news so we aren’t so inundated with a load of returns just for the funeral. Barbara would be a calmer delivery than say Celia who would be flustered (“spit it out woman”) and Colleen coming from the states wouldn’t fit. 

I think as long as you have that core four of Alf, Celia, Barbara and Martha Snr, possibly with Colleen as a bonus, then with Roo & Ryder as well as Marilyn (& John), Irene & Leah and maybe some flowers & cards from the likes of Duncan, Ric, Ruby and Don that’d give you enough story. 

Martha can discuss Bobby - maybe prompting a chat between Roo & Martha about Martha Jnr, Don can generate a bit of chat between Marilyn & John maybe (odd to think that Morag & Marilyn had Don in common really) and John can mention her helping him - her last case on screen.

I think the reason Morag hasn’t had any mention onscreen is that the writers don’t know how to tie it in to the present day, but I think the two Marthas are the key there. Martha to link with Bobby and then that triggering Roo to reach out to her Martha, maybe with a recast return (although a move back to a Sydney based soap may work for Jodi Anasta) - maybe with a kid or two in tow.

For some reason, Colleen's theatrical crying would actually work until Alf told her to get a grip and then she chuckles through the tears going "That's exactly what Morag would say.

As for Don, I wanted him to come back during the Maz electro-amnesia arc and cause some unease with Jett and John but assuring them he's only there to help Marilyn, no hidden agenda.

On 29/09/2019 at 01:23, adam436 said:

Why not preserve the character if there is still an opportunity? depending on how Morag left Summer Bay, and if there is still enough storyline for her to make one more run, I don't see the harm in recasting her then giving her a proper send off. I don't agree with the recast of Roo, but at least it still preserves the character.

Speaking of Roo, if the role of Morag were to be recast, my preference would be the actress who currently plays Martha Sr, or Rowena Wallace. Both played a similar character on Sons and Daughters, and in my opinion it would come full circle and be a nice touch for either to carry the character until the end. (obviously not Martha Sr...since she is playing Martha Snr)

hqdefault.jpg

Archived