Is it true H&A haven't mentioned the death of Morag?

Skylover

13 minutes ago, Skylover said:

Except it's quite a valid reason when coupled with everything else the show is just so poor now, often unwatchable. With them not acknowledging anything earlier than 2011 unless it's related to Alf or a retcon, I'm not surprised. 

Really? Not killing Morag makes the show "unwatchable"? There's not many opportunities to acknowledge anything before 2011 but we do have old-timers like Irene and Leah talking about their families.Anyway, 2011 is an eternity ago in television terms!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Morag was never seen again after 1989, or even 1993, then I don’t think anyone would worry about her being killed off-screen. 

I don’t see how the show is heartless by not killing a character off-screen, they didn’t kill Eileen Clarke off in Neighbours when actress died around the time she last appeared on show, they just had her move to England off-screen.

I don’t see why they need to comment on someone before 2011 as it’s nothing to do with present storylines.

Finlay was mentioned just a little while ago, and so was Ailsa.

On 26/09/2019 at 00:12, Red Ranger 1 said:

Really? Not killing Morag makes the show "unwatchable"?

Red - I said in my post 'coupled with everything else' so ignoring Morag's fate is only one of many things wrong with the show. I feel almost bitter about how bad it's become now. I tuned in the other day and there were still some criminals after Robbo :rolleyes: I tuned straight back out and I haven't watched a full episode since February nor does it deserve my viewership, or anyone else's for that matter.

2011 is an eternity ago in television terms!

Um - not really, when the whole point of soaps are that they are ongoing and regularly draw on their history to engage and bring back viewers. In that sense 2011 is not a long time ago, considering the show has been running since 1988. If you tune in now it looks like a tacky Australian reality series that started last year, rather than a serious soap with its own identity. There's nothing unique about Home and Away anymore that you can't get from another soap; another soap which does it better. Even EastEnders looks a million times better than H&A now and it's almost impossible to compare the quality of Neighbours to H&A now when Neighbours is so much better than H&A now.

There's not many opportunities to acknowledge anything before 2011 but we do have old-timers like Irene and Leah talking about their families.

I've not noticed that in the last 10 years - Leah has forgotten that she has siblings and who'd realise that she has Greek heritage? Probably no-one. Irene probably has grandchildren that we never hear about or see. Ali's the only one whose past they delve into and now they're not even acknowledging Morag. Last time I saw John and Marilyn they were playing pass the parcel with Raffy like she's some object rather than a child who needs a stable home. They seem to get Raffy when they don't have a storyline.

This is going a bit off-topic now but considering how much time over the years Conrelia Frances devoted to the show, they ought to reflect this in some way on-screen. But it won't matter to me because I don't want to watch the trash anymore.

On 26/09/2019 at 00:13, j.laur5 said:

I don’t see why they need to comment on someone before 2011 as it’s nothing to do with present storylines.

The characters lives didn't start in 2011 so of course their lives before then would crop up in current storylines.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-27-at-19-08-41.png

^^^ THIS. I truly think Channel 7 should respect Lawrence's thoughts. He posted this on the Cornelia Frances Facebook page last year about his Mum. Nothing has been done since...

As I've just mentioned on the UK Episode Discussion - if Morag Bellingham was still around, she would be having a field day with all the legal doings in the Bay (current UK pace):

Irene - self defence storyline. Morag and Irene are good friends and Morag would most definitely be her lawyer, stand up and fight for her in court - both professionally and personally.

Raffy - CBD oil storyline. Morag and Leah are very close and no doubt Morag would have a lot to say about the proceedings.

Ben - drug case storyline. Would be on the case and be his lawyer.

Robbo - witness protection storyline. OK, maybe not but Morag and Dylan Carter had history and disagreements.

With all the latest legal drama in the Bay, I'm genuinely surprised that none of the characters haven't asked Alf/Roo for her support. All the current long-standing characters (Alf, Roo, Leah, Irene, Marilyn, John) have a connection to Morag and haven't mentioned her name once. I understand TPTB might not know what to do with the character of Morag but the fact that they haven't mentioned her at all since Cornelia died makes me have less respect for them. Morag is part of the show's fabric and Cornelia indeed supported Channel 7/Home and Away a huge amount...

Come on TPTP/Channel 7 - give Morag justice - either way.

We all miss you Cornelia Frances.

Everyone... stay calm :)

God, she'd have a field day with Colby and some of the stunts he pulled especially when the Dingoes dig up Ross! (That's coming... ??)

("Your best bet would be to plead Insanity. It isn't too far from the truth thinking you could get away with it! At best you should hope for 15 years and a sympathetic jury.")

7 hours ago, Skylover said:

I've not noticed that in the last 10 years - Leah has forgotten that she has siblings and who'd realise that she has Greek heritage? Probably no-one. Irene probably has grandchildren that we never hear about or see.

Leah mentioned her brothers this week. Irene was on the phone to Fin and implicitly mentioned her grandchildren (saying to give someone a message from Nana) just a few weeks ago. (Someone's even started a thread about it!)

Um - not really, when the whole point of soaps are that they are ongoing and regularly draw on their history to engage and bring back viewers. In that sense 2011 is not a long time ago, considering the show has been running since 1988

If you look at a soap opera, then think what proportion of the current cast have been there since 2011, then think about how many characters from back then actually get mentioned, then think how many who aren't related to a current castmember get mentioned. Not many, I suspect.

I tuned in the other day and there were still some criminals after Robbo :rolleyes: I tuned straight back out and I haven't watched a full episode since February nor does it deserve my viewership, or anyone else's for that matter.

Yes, the Robbo storyline is poor but the other two episodes this week weren't too bad and today's actually had some decent stuff in it.

Leah’s main references to her Greek heritage are in the dishes she makes, I think there was a reference to her teaching Justin how to say Moussaka too, which seems to be a thing Ada does as I remember Danny Raco saying she’d corrected his pronunciation when he played Alex.

4 hours ago, DialMforMorag said:

With all the latest legal drama in the Bay, I'm genuinely surprised that none of the characters haven't asked Alf/Roo for her support. All the current long-standing characters (Alf, Roo, Leah, Irene, Marilyn, John) have a connection to Morag and haven't mentioned her name once. I understand TPTB might not know what to do with the character of Morag but the fact that they haven't mentioned her at all since Cornelia died makes me have less respect for them.

Yes, as I said a few pages back, they don't necessarily have to kill off Morag, but never mentioning her at all as if she never existed isn't a good way of handling it. There are ways of acknowledging her, having her give advice over the phone or recommend a lawyer. I don't know, to give the showmakers the benefit of the doubt, maybe they feel mentioning Morag would introduce an awkward note given that most people watching will know what's happening to Cornelia. I don't think that's the right decision though and it would be better to do something even if they don't make the final decision yet. (Eg, they could wait until they manage to sign up a decent amount of actors whose characters would be at the funeral before killing Morag off and keep referencing her as alive until then.)

Archived