Is it true H&A haven't mentioned the death of Morag?

Skylover

Someone told me elsewhere that H&A haven't marked the death of Cornelia Frances other than putting up an RIP title card at the end of an episode. So is Morag in limbo or has she been killed off? This kind of vindicates my reasoning for not watching anymore, the show has been bad for years and this just proves how heartless it is.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the character of Morag is in limbo.

My feeling is that she will be mentioned one day, much further down the line, but will be mentioned in the past tense. As if she died ages ago and it was all offscreen - this way the writers can completely avoid, you know, writing anything.

I would bet money that this is what will happen.

It's a difficult one. The fact is that the show's been going a long time and actors who've been it are going to die. So where do you draw the line?Some people have seriously suggested that Ben Unwin's recent death means they should announce Jesse has died for the four characters left who knew him.This isn't exactly a new phenomenon:I don't think there was any acknowledgement of Belinda Emmett's death (Rebecca is still out there as far as we know), and Frank Lloyd's death passed so unnoticed that there are still stories claiming he refused to go back to the show four years after he died (although in that case his character was announced as having died at that point).

That said, Morag is a different case, in that she does have strong family ties to the Bay still and was continuing to make appearances until the year before Cornelia died.Some fans might want a big on-screen funeral for Morag, but keeping her alive as an off screen presence on the show is an equally valid creative decision.The real problem isn't that there hasn't been a "death of Morag" storyline but that there's been nothing: She hasn't been mentioned in about two years, which is a bit jarring given how often she was talked about beforehand even when she went years without appearing.So, I do think the show needs to make a decision about what they're going to do with the character.But I do think there's any need to go overboard and talk as if not killing Morag is the worst thing the show has ever done.

I think the problem with Morag is that she was such a prominent character that acknowledging her death onscreen would need to be more than just a blink-and-miss-it reference, which it pretty much was Neville back in 2000.

The writers would either need to have Alf announcing Morag died and then having him, Roo and maybe a handful of others disappearing to the city for a few episodes for the funeral with it never to be mentioned again, or have the funeral in Summer Bay, which would take time away from the current storylines and no doubt hardcore fans would complain because there would be many absentees at her funeral who in reality, would be there (i.e. Barbara, Celia, Donald, Duncan, Ric, Ruby etc.)

I think, as it has already been said, after an appropriate amount of time has passed, references to Morag will probably change to past tense. 

15 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Some people have seriously suggested that Ben Unwin's recent death means they should announce Jesse has died for the four characters left who knew him.This isn't exactly a new phenomenon:I don't think there was any acknowledgement of Belinda Emmett's death (Rebecca is still out there as far as we know), and Frank Lloyd's death passed so unnoticed that there are still stories claiming he refused to go back to the show four years after he died (although in that case his character was announced as having died at that point).

The irony with Rebecca is that she is Don's only living child, yet the actress best remembered for the role has passed away (along with a temporary recast).

I don't see the point in acknowledging the deaths of characters whose actors have passed away, unless an absence needs to be explained. Rebecca has an uncle and a former step-mum still living in Summer Bay, but the links are not strong enough for the writers to explain why she hasn't visited. Likewise, Jesse's onscreen absence will probably never really needed to be explained unless the producers decided to introduce a grown up Rachel at some point (we got a teenage Olivia, so who knows?)

No one mentioned in the mid 1990s that Neville had passed away, as there was no reason to at that point. The writers only wrote in his off-screen passing because they needed to explain why Floss was attending Sally's wedding without him. Had Floss not returned, I doubt any of the returnees would even have referred to Neville has having died. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

No I'm sorry i disagree with anyone who doesn't think Morag's death needs to be mentioned, Alf Roo John Marilyn all knew her and it's a matter of respect for Cornelia as well to lay her character to rest they better not be thinking of recasting Morag that's all i can say

If they did I think Anne Charleston be good in role!. 

There seems to be a distinct blurring of fiction and reality here with people talking as though Morag the character and Cornelia Frances the actress are the same person and they both died at the same time.The very fact that recasting is being mentioned as an option shows that that isn't the case (not that I think they should do that). There are, as adam436 mentioned above, a lot of pitfalls to having a big Bay-set funeral.An off screen funeral, such as with Caroline last year, is an option.Casually mentioning that she died some time earlier and no-one thought to mention it would be inappropriate in my opinion.Keeping the character alive off screen would be an option, and would be respectful to Cornelia in my opinion by keeping the character she brought to life as a presence on the show.The option they seem to be going for at the moment, not mentioning the character at all as if she never existed, is...not ideal.

14 hours ago, Home and Away said:

Maybe it hasn’t been mentioned because Morag isn’t dead...

Just because the actress playing her died shouldn’t automatically mean the character dies.

In this case will we hear that Jesse has also passed away? No.

The show is different to real life.

just because they aren't Barretts......

Archived