Ben Unwin dies at age 41

*dW*

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So so very sad. I watched the show religiously throughout the time he was in it, and I agree with Red Ranger that despite Jesse's criminal tendencies Ben's portrayal meant the viewer's sympathy was always on Jesse's side. I'm gonna see if any of my old VHStapes are still of half-watchable quality and try to rewatch some of his work. Just can't believe it, and so sad that he reportedly took his own life. RIP Ben x

I am so saddened by this. Although not specifically stated, it seems depression has played a part in Ben’s untimely death. 

Jesse left the Bay in such sad circumstances back in 2005 that I hoped that one day the character might return and redeem himself to the characters and viewers. Sadly, that won’t happen now. 

RIP Ben. He played one of ny favourite characters. Only a couple of years younger than me. 

42 minutes ago, dan said:

So so very sad. I watched the show religiously throughout the time he was in it, and I agree with Red Ranger that despite Jesse's criminal tendencies Ben's portrayal meant the viewer's sympathy was always on Jesse's side. I'm gonna see if any of my old VHStapes are still of half-watchable quality and try to rewatch some of his work. Just can't believe it, and so sad that he reportedly took his own life. RIP Ben x

There's always youtube...

I usually overlook most celebrity deaths, but this one has affected me more than I anticipated for some reason.

I'm too young to remember Jesse's first stint, but I was old enough to remember his return in 2002 and the second stint he endured up until 2005. He had plenty of memorable moments that I look back on with fondness and nostalgia.

I always held out a glimmer of hope of him returning one day, and the opportunity was there when Olivia was reintroduced into the show but that moment came and gone when she left last year.

I was also aware that Ben changed his career path and became a solicitor after finishing his role at H&A in 2005. Being a lawyer is no easy feat and can be a very stressful job at the best of times so I wonder whether that may have contributed to his problems.

Depression and mental illness is a silent killer in this country. The leading cause of death for men under the age of 45 in Australia is suicide and more needs to be done by the wider community and government to address it.

RIP Ben ?

I know it's probably wishful thinking, but I've written to five and asked them if they still do themed weekends of old episodes, could they do one of Jesse centric episodes to pay tribute to Ben. I'll let you know if they reply.

4 hours ago, dan said:

Goes to show that you never know what someone is going through, regardless of how well they look.  Try to be kind to people because you never know the difference that will make to their life

RIP Ben

Archived