H&A vs Neighbours Cast List

EndlessSummer

After recently watching Neighbours for the first time to watch the intriguing Dee/Andrea storyline, I noticed that Neighbours have so many characters as compared to H&A. Based of the current cast list from Wiki, Neighbours have 30 present characters whilst H&A have 21. Neighbours seem to acknowledge their past more hence the return of past characters whilst yet introducing new ones.  What are your thoughts?

I do prefer that Neighbours tends to bring back past characters for guest stints more, and even just mentioned past characters more/give updates, where as Home and Away rarely seem to do that unless its for a plot point (like a character going to visit someone).

Neighbours does feel a bit overrun with characters at times as I think they'd added too many newbies in a short space of time.

I used to love Neighbours but it's been completely ruined for me, to the point I don't think I will ever watch it again.

I think the H&A cast size is about right.

All the characters get a good amount of screen time, without me thinking "not them again" (perhaps with the exception of Robbo).

I've often criticised H&A for ignoring it's past but I've come to think that it can be something of a millstone.

There are enough long term characters about, so I don't really feel like I need to see old ones continually popping back.

That said, it would be nice to see Sally occasionally, as she was such a bedrock of the show.  It could just be her visiting to say hello and keep in touch, rather than being at the centre of a dramatic storyline.

I would like to see Martha (Jodi) and Tony,  Rachel and their son Harry move back to the Bay permanently.

19 hours ago, EndlessSummer said:

After recently watching Neighbours for the first time to watch the intriguing Dee/Andrea storyline, I noticed that Neighbours have so many characters as compared to H&A. Based of the current cast list from Wiki, Neighbours have 30 present characters whilst H&A have 21.

Don't trust Wikipedia, their definition of a regular is bonkers. At last count, Neighbours only had 27 current regular characters (including two pre-teen characters who only have very minor roles) and that's been slowly creeping up over the course of the year, it feels like they had 22 not so long ago.It'll probably get knocked back down again at some point.Home and Away's cast size seems to shrink a bit because they've hardly ever all been there this year but I think they just about manage with it.

@baywatcher I think that there is potential to add a couple more past characters to H&A such as Frank Morgan, Chris Harrington and Finlay Roberts to expand family friendly storylines. Considering Neighbours have a lot of former cast return throughout the years. Despite Neighbours huge cast list I still think they cover the basics of family orientation whilst H&A is just bombarded with drama in recent years. Although as a first time Neighbours viewer understanding who's related to who is too confusing. Erinsborough may be overpopulated lol

@Red Ranger 1 I was just reffering to Wiki to gain a approximate figure. Agreed the H&A cast size does seem to shrink. At least Neighbours introduces a couple of new characters each year who are related to the existing characters and are culturally diverse. As compared to H&A which introduces several new characters a year, it is too much to take in! 

@EndlessSummer I...would not say Neighbours introduces fewer characters than Home and Away each year.At a quick glance, Neighbours has added six people to the regular cast this year, Home and Away has so far only added one (Bella) who was related to an existing character. Ironically, Neighbours' insistence on only bringing in characters who are related to other characters has led to one of its biggest criticisms, the fact that everyone seems to be dating a family member's ex and being in love triangles with their own relatives! Home and Away set itself apart in the beginning by being about families other than the traditional ones (if you look at the original cast, I don't think there's a single blood relationship between the people on the opening titles, although obviously you had Alf's family hanging around and becoming more prominent later), so it would follow that characters would come in without any immediate ties and then be welcomed into the "family".

@Red Ranger 1 I am surprised as I think Neighbours bringing in characters who are related to others is a positive thing, although the fact that they are dating family member's ex or dating their own relatives is disappointing! Yet the main focus of Neighbours is the residents of Ramsay Street and not so much on the wider community so that is understandable. Whereas H&A is focused more on the community, but they still had a family focus with the Fletchers and their foster children, the Stewarts and the Barlow's. I agree that the purpose of H&A is to welcome anyone in the "family" but the the show needs to remember that older cast Marilyn, Irene, Leah, Roo and Alf have their own past relationships/family tree. As in my opinion the problem is once "new" characters depart the bay they are rarely heard from again. Sorry if I am going slightly off topic.

Archived