Sign in to follow this  
Lunar

The three year 'curse'

This was sort of being discussed in the spoiler section so I thought I'd move it to here.

A lot of the younger actors/characters tend to leave at the end of their three year contract, either to move to the states to audition there or to move on to other projects elsewhere. If they do stay longer then its usually only by around 6 months, which has at times made it hard to invest in years where tons of characters have left and tons of new ones have come in.

I'm not suggesting actors should stay longer then they are happy to, but which characters do you think have benefitted from leaving when they did and which do you think could've stuck around longer? Sometimes it feels like characters run out of steam and they don't know what to do with them for the entirety of the three years (especially in cases where most of the people they were connected to left before them, like Sasha), and some I feel never reached their full potential or had opportunity to have storylines outside of romance (like Indi).

Its also quite rare for H&A to bring characters back once they've left. I don't know if this is just due to planning or actors not coming back, but I think its something that would be nice if a storyline came up and certain actors were free/up for it. Which ones would you like to see come back?

Edited by Lunar
  • Like 3

Of the characters who must be close to the end of their 3 years, the one I'd like to stay on the show for the foreseeable future is Justin.  He is easily my favourite character and I think he could become a stalwart of the community, particularly if he were to marry Leah and start a family (be it natural or by adopting)

Past characters I'd like to see come back to the Bay are Martha (Jodi - highly unlikely, I know),  Tony, Rachel and their son Harry.  I'd also like to see  Sally and Cassie come back for a visit.  

I've always felt that the deaths of Oscar and Hannah were unnecessary, because they were tragic and also because there was so much to be done with the pair of them. 

I really liked them, but I felt that, with the exception of Casey, the Braxtons all left at the right time. 

Matt and Evie really should have stayed longer. At the time, they were the only likeable couple that I could really invest in, I wish they could have stayed around longer for us to watch. 

• Like 1

The other factor is that most younger characters only stay as long their contact. 

I would like Kyle to have had stayed one more year as he would have been able to have scenes with more characters outside the Braxton circle. 

4 hours ago, baywatcher said:

Past characters I'd like to see come back to the Bay are Martha (Jodi - highly unlikely, I know),  Tony, Rachel and their son Harry. 

Maybe Tony and Rachel will be back in 5-6 years time? Harry would be 15-16 years old by then (or older if he's SORASed) which allows him to take centre stage with teen storylies and they could also create more children for them after they left in 2010.

3 hours ago, D.B said:

Matt and Evie really should have stayed longer. At the time, they were the only likeable couple that I could really invest in, I wish they could have stayed around longer for us to watch. 

Couldn't agree more - they are the last couple I've really invested in and we never have young long-term/stable couples in the show any more, so it's a shame we didn't get a bit more of them.

Out of the characters not mentioned so far, Hunter, VJ, Kat, Ash and Olivia all left at the right now.. or perhaps stayed too long ^_^

Jett Palmer - he departed the regular cast after 3 years and I'd love more onscreen time of him, John and Mariyln as a family unit. He was a bit younger than the average actor when he started on the show, so I was hoping that meant we would have got an extra year or two out of him, like we did with Ryan Clark or Neighbours' Morgan Baker and Rebecca Ritters. Sadly it was not meant to be. 

Miles Copeland - he could have been a long-term love interest for Leah, which would have set them up nicely to be the modern day "Tom and Pippa" in my opinion, especially if they were still happily married into 2015, when her makeshift family moved into Summer Bay House.

• Like 2

I've always thought it strange that new regular characters are brought in on a three year contract,  as the TPTB have no idea whether the viewers will take to them,  so it seems a long time to be stuck with them if they prove to be unpopular.

I would have thought a rolling one year contract (with options) would be more practical.

1 hour ago, baywatcher said:

I've always thought it strange that new regular characters are brought in on a three year contract,  as the TPTB have no idea whether the viewers will take to them,  so it seems a long time to be stuck with them if they prove to be unpopular.

I would have thought a rolling one year contract (with options) would be more practical.

Yeah thats true. I guess sometimes its easier if they're bringing in a family all at once to have them on the same contract, and maybe because the turn-around would be too quick otherwise if they decided to have characters leave after a year? 

On 12/07/2019 at 22:35, D.B said:

I agree, I really liked their relationship but it felt quite rushed with how they suddenly got engaged, had a quick wedding, became Ellie's guardians and then left. It just felt annoying to invest in them (especially as characters who'd been through a lot) for them to leave immediately after.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lunar said:

Yeah thats true. I guess sometimes its easier if they're bringing in a family all at once to have them on the same contract, and maybe because the turn-around would be too quick otherwise if they decided to have characters leave after a year? 

I agree, I really liked their relationship but it felt quite rushed with how they suddenly got engaged, had a quick wedding, became Ellie's guardians and then left. It just felt annoying to invest in them (especially as characters who'd been through a lot) for them to leave immediately after.

But I worry that if they had stayed they would eventually need to break up or least have drama in their relationship to keep things interesting. 

I think they already planned Matt and Evie's exit storyline a year in advance after Oscar/ Josh/Maddy exits and the plan was to get them slowly together as look at all the failed relationships Matt and Evie had before they finally got together.  Evie went with Mason for a bit and Matt had a couple of girls he briefly dated.