Did anyone notice a big shift in the show in 1990?

adam436

I think it lost its unique feel as a show by late 1990 after many of the original characters had left Martin/Lance/Celia/Tom and recast of Pippa. 

As Bobby started to calm down by then and Steve and Carly didn’t have as "larger than life" personality like the other  original characters .

I didn’t think Sally was the most exciting character back then. Of course I do realise she was just a child. 

• 1 month later...

It started a rough patch from 1990 IMO after all the original cast left. 1988 and 1989 are brilliant seasons. It was too much losing Tom, Celia, Lance and Martin in quick succession, especially Tom. I don't think it hit another great period until 1993/1994 although I did enjoy 1990-1992 to an extent. Looking back characters like Lucinda were pure awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh don't get me started on that Nick/Ryan/Lucinda love triangle. That seemed to go round and round in circles. Without looking it up, I can't remember how it finally ended. The writers should have sent the three of them off to form a ménage à trois in Western Australia

39 minutes ago, cymbaline said:

Oh don't get me started on that Nick/Ryan/Lucinda love triangle. That seemed to go round and round in circles. Without looking it up, I can't remember how it finally ended. The writers should have sent the three of them off to form a ménage à trois in Western Australia

Lou ended up choosing Nick (Which teenage Shane wasn’t too thrilled about!)

• 5 months later...

Only characters who left in 1990 that I would of like to  had stayed on longer.

Tom and Vanessa Pippa-As I would preferred to kept original central  parents around longer.  .  

Celia-I know people say her character had run her course and only reason why she run her course  is because PTB did not want to used Celia and Fiona Spence to her full potential and I know I probably already answered my own question on this before but I think PTB at time just didn’t have lot interest in  older characters at that point in time in diction show was heading as just had look on how they axed Floss/Neville/Morag and not bought in new regular older character until 1994 when  Irene was made regular. 

Interesting enough Fiona had actually decided to leave as she thought H&A was only  going to last couple of  years or so  as remember reading old interview where she said  she wants to go back to do stage work when H&A ends and maybe she already told PTB that she wasn’t going stay longer then her two year contract and that might of  been reason why PTB kept Celia in background more as they knew she wouldn’t be lasting long. 

But I think Celia was character that didn’t need storylines  all time to keep her reverent as she had strong presence in community in being town busybody and she had family plenty of family  in town. 

Who knows maybe Celia could taken in teens eventually.

Archived