Cancellation/Timeslot Change Rumours

Bri1231

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So one blog has been basically mis-reported by the British tabloids.

It's a tough one, isn't it.  Home & Away has struggled for a few years and has gone really downhill in the past decade.  However, due to the numerous International contracts, I can't see Seven canceling the show.  This is why Neighbours got bumped to a sister channel rather than axed altogether, as despite its unpopularity domestically it's still a major source of revenue for Ten and Freemantle, mainly thanks to the Channel 5 deal.

In all honestly, it'll probably move to 7Two, possibly with a late night encore on Seven proper.  But whilst it fulfills a local quota and production costs are almost entirely met by the Channel 5 deal, I think it's highly unlikely it'll be axed completely.

Does the show need a major revamp though?  Absolutely.  I can't speak for the Aussie audience, but the insane popularity of Love Island in the UK shows there's a huge market for a show containing swimwear-clad beautiful people who live by the seaside and continually relationship-switch.  The show needs to go back to basics, become more lightweight and deliver the "every day is summer in Summer Bay" ethos that made the show such a huge draw in the winter in the UK.  That + fostering element = success.  The problem for the past decade is it's become EastEnders-On-Sea.  EastEnders is shown in both the UK and Oz if people want to be depressed!

Make H&A the sunshine soap again, and go from there.  Drop the guns, the depressing stuff, and make it true immersive escapism from our s**tty lives again.  Like I say, Love Island shows there's a market for it amongst an otherwise difficult to target demo.

If anyone from Seven is reading the quote above, please disregard it and erase it from your memory forthwith.

Not that I have ever watched Love Island but if H&A went down that route I would definitely stop watching again.

I stopped watching Neighbours because of the influx of young 'reality' tv 'stars' and all the bed-hopping.  Don't want to see this happen to H&A.

3 hours ago, James Martin said:

So one blog has been basically mis-reported by the British tabloids.

It's a tough one, isn't it.  Home & Away has struggled for a few years and has gone really downhill in the past decade.  However, due to the numerous International contracts, I can't see Seven canceling the show.  This is why Neighbours got bumped to a sister channel rather than axed altogether, as despite its unpopularity domestically it's still a major source of revenue for Ten and Freemantle, mainly thanks to the Channel 5 deal.

In all honestly, it'll probably move to 7Two, possibly with a late night encore on Seven proper.  But whilst it fulfills a local quota and production costs are almost entirely met by the Channel 5 deal, I think it's highly unlikely it'll be axed completely.

Does the show need a major revamp though?  Absolutely.  I can't speak for the Aussie audience, but the insane popularity of Love Island in the UK shows there's a huge market for a show containing swimwear-clad beautiful people who live by the seaside and continually relationship-switch.  The show needs to go back to basics, become more lightweight and deliver the "every day is summer in Summer Bay" ethos that made the show such a huge draw in the winter in the UK.  That + fostering element = success.  The problem for the past decade is it's become EastEnders-On-Sea.  EastEnders is shown in both the UK and Oz if people want to be depressed!

Make H&A the sunshine soap again, and go from there.  Drop the guns, the depressing stuff, and make it true immersive escapism from our s**tty lives again.  Like I say, Love Island shows there's a market for it amongst an otherwise difficult to target demo.

But they have gone back to basics a lot in the last couple years  and have stopped a lot of gun drama stuff since the Braxtons have kicked the bucket. 

For what it's worth, I f**king hate Love Island.  The point I made was that there is a market for "sunshine escapism" as opposed to endless gun slinging.  I certainly don't need Raffy who whoever else is in the teen group this week screaming "OMG I've got a text!"

I can't stand Love Island either, but do agree that H&A do need to go back to basics.  Focus on character driven storylines and focus, more family orientated stuff and character development and a toned down approach, less gang focus, more humour, more interesting/complex characters emerging, but it's hard in terms of the younger ones as understandably they all like to go off and spread their wings.

I think given that there’s been no more news in the last two days I think it speaks volumes that the show is not going and at very most all what’s   likely will happen it move to 7two and at end of days it  won’t  change anything. It  will still be the same old show and and it’s still be  from network  seven and therefore they will still get the same budget and stuff. 

Least might mean back to Monday to Friday and that’s if it does happen!. 

Every single article has basically copied from original. 

I think we can take Lynne's word on matter and if she knew something she wouldn’t be saying anything at all!. 

Clickibait per usual from Daily Mail. But not innacurate. Its no secret H and A has been struggling in its prime time slot with the ratings dwindling. For various of reasons. The River Boys love them or hate them. Generated a ton of attention for the show, and Ratings were solid. I think current format has alot to do with the decline of H and A. No compelling characters or story plots at all. That said I would be shocked if it gets the axe. As said it still fits that Local Quota. But I Can definately see it being relocated. And no longer a primetime slot. 

Archived