Cancellation/Timeslot Change Rumours

Bri1231

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, christine king said:

They need to fix the show first. Their is a reason why ratings are down.

But ratings are down on all shows and Neighbours is lucky to 144 viewers this  days and Neighbours is not even on top 20.

H&A is still has most out of shows that are not news or talk shows.

2 hours ago, Golden Sands said:

Commercial networks just don't like investing in scripted drama. Every network has significantly decreased their output compared to ten years ago, or even five years ago. Which is strange, especially for 7 that creates their own dramas in house and then sells them overseas keeping all the profits and not sharing them with a production company. So like every time they overpay for sports rights they axe something they deem expensive to rectify their budget blowouts or reduce overheads, which is always Australian made content and nearly always scripted tv. The really ironic thing is that it's the scripted tv and other departments that make money for 7 so they can afford to buy sports rights in the first place.

I agree that commercial networks don't seem to want to invest in dramas (for example I LOVED 800 Words and it even had some success in the UK, but they seemed to stop promoting it and took ages to show the 3rd season, to the point where obviously it was going to get cancelled), but I don't see how H&A could be a budget issue as it has such a massive tourism side to it with the tours (which I'm assuming 7 must make money from?), and the fact it must bring in a lot of tourism from people abroad. Plus the UK deal and the fact it was showing on some streaming app in American I think as well.

I also agree on not being a fan of the reality tv push. I don't mind it in moderation but I only really watch stuff like Great British Bake Off as opposed to the more scripted kind of reality shows.

• Dan F changed the title to Cancellation/Timeslot Change Rumours

Threads merged, please see the story in this post:

On 05/07/2019 at 15:27, Dan F said:

It's worth a full read of the original story that the tabloids are using selective snippets of to provide their clickbait:

https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2019/1/15/seven-home-away

The claims made there talk about the options that Seven are allegedly considering in regards to channel/timeslots. Nowhere does it mention that they are considering axing it altogether.

The whole thing's being completely taken out of  context.

I would not be at all surprised if this actually does H&A some good and makes Seven realise even more how important it is to Australia television and channel seven. 

At the very most it would would move  7 two or 7 mate or 7flix  and at the end of the day it still really is channel seven and at least then it might be back to Monday til Friday.

But not taking anything at face value on what I read on net as Lynne said I was suppose be leaving show for good according to internet several months ago. 

3 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

But ratings are down on all shows and Neighbours is lucky to 144 viewers this  days and Neighbours is not even on top 20.

H&A is still has most out of shows that are not news or talk shows.

Neighbours is on a digital channel so their not going to get high ratings these days.

5 hours ago, Lunar said:

I agree that commercial networks don't seem to want to invest in dramas (for example I LOVED 800 Words and it even had some success in the UK, but they seemed to stop promoting it and took ages to show the 3rd season, to the point where obviously it was going to get cancelled), but I don't see how H&A could be a budget issue as it has such a massive tourism side to it with the tours (which I'm assuming 7 must make money from?), and the fact it must bring in a lot of tourism from people abroad. Plus the UK deal and the fact it was showing on some streaming app in American I think as well.

I also agree on not being a fan of the reality tv push. I don't mind it in moderation but I only really watch stuff like Great British Bake Off as opposed to the more scripted kind of reality shows.

The budget issue isn't H&A budget, but channel 7's. They massively overspent on cricket rights in a joint partnership with foxtel. As sports rights are so expensive, AFL, NRL & Cricket actually cost the networks money as they can't recoup all the money back on adertisements. That's why whenever there is a new sports rights deal reached (always for more money), Australian drama suffers. It happened back in the mid noughties when 7 successfully renegotiated a new AFL deal and Blue Heelers was the victim.

Channel 7 decided the previous year that they were going to axe 800 words, before they finally aired the final batch of episodes. Yes the ratings were down on the first half (so was everything else) but they didn't even try to fix the problems with more promotion or a timeslot change, just canned the show right away. I suspect that that was also a victim of the sports rights issues. 800 words was even a co production filmed in New Zealand which probably made it one of their cheapest tv dramas in years.

What annoys me is that the networks constantly set unrealistic ratings targets for their dramas and when they don't achieve those at the first available opportunity it's the excuse they have to axe them. It almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when the network almost expects them to fail or loses interest.

Unfortunately the networks still think if they have big marquee sporting events, then the eyeballs that watch those sporting events will also watch the other programmes on their network, but that has consistently been proven false with the ratings data emerges and it also operates on the outdated view that watching those sporting events are only available on the commercial channels exclusively, when you can watch it with streaming or other third parties. It really is nothing more than a pissing contents between networks though that can grab or steal the other sporting code away from each other and have bragging rights.

As you have pointed out H&A also has other avenues of revenue, they even released merchandise like hats and towels, which makes targeting H&A even more ridiculous.

I like reality tv, except the awful dating ones, but I agree there has to be a tipping point eventually when others have finally had enough and reality tv gets pared back a little.  

1 hour ago, Golden Sands said:

The budget issue isn't H&A budget, but channel 7's. They massively overspent on cricket rights in a joint partnership with foxtel. As sports rights are so expensive, AFL, NRL & Cricket actually cost the networks money as they can't recoup all the money back on adertisements. That's why whenever there is a new sports rights deal reached (always for more money), Australian drama suffers. It happened back in the mid noughties when 7 successfully renegotiated a new AFL deal and Blue Heelers was the victim.

Channel 7 decided the previous year that they were going to axe 800 words, before they finally aired the final batch of episodes. Yes the ratings were down on the first half (so was everything else) but they didn't even try to fix the problems with more promotion or a timeslot change, just canned the show right away. I suspect that that was also a victim of the sports rights issues. 800 words was even a co production filmed in New Zealand which probably made it one of their cheapest tv dramas in years.

What annoys me is that the networks constantly set unrealistic ratings targets for their dramas and when they don't achieve those at the first available opportunity it's the excuse they have to axe them. It almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy when the network almost expects them to fail or loses interest.

Unfortunately the networks still think if they have big marquee sporting events, then the eyeballs that watch those sporting events will also watch the other programmes on their network, but that has consistently been proven false with the ratings data emerges and it also operates on the outdated view that watching those sporting events are only available on the commercial channels exclusively, when you can watch it with streaming or other third parties. It really is nothing more than a pissing contents between networks though that can grab or steal the other sporting code away from each other and have bragging rights.

As you have pointed out H&A also has other avenues of revenue, they even released merchandise like hats and towels, which makes targeting H&A even more ridiculous.

I like reality tv, except the awful dating ones, but I agree there has to be a tipping point eventually when others have finally had enough and reality tv gets pared back a little.  

You have a point. And what good was Cricket on 7 anyway, people were so upset with the coverage and much of it was on Foxtel (Pay TV)

The ABC has had so many stupid funding cuts from the Government in the past 6 years, but they still make some great dramas and Comedies.

Archived