Does anyone know why Tom and Michael were killed off?

adam436

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/07/2019 at 18:17, cymbaline said:

I think they would have left Pippa on her own for longer if Vanessa had stayed. But she would have remarried within a year or two. The Michael question is an interesting one. I think there was a fun character in there but they went down the misery route with him. 

I can't see VanPip with Michael but equally, I can't visualise DebPip with Tom. 

This, 

I mentioned this before somewhere in a thread here.

If I recall correctly, Ray Meager tried out for the role of Tom. I don't see either of the Pippa's with him either. I think the right Pippa was with the right husband. I appreciate the producers wanted to get the foster family unit back together but it was just way too soon for Pippa to remarry...and that wedding dress?

Tom was a major character, if not the main character in the first 7 or 8 months but by mid to late 1988 he became more of a glorified extra as Bobby became a major player along with Carly, Frank, the Macklins, Lance and Martin, (Stacey and Brett) and Don etc. By 1990 there was nowhere left for Tom to go, so his demise at the wheel was the best thing for the character.

I think Roger quit but also heard he was axed. I think the former of the 2 is true.

They wasted Tom as a character once the show became established. I guess the younger characters were the ones which were capturing more of the headlines. If Roger quit, I don't blame him for doing so. On the other hand, if he was axed it makes for an interesting parallel with what happened to Michael. I wish they hadn't killed Michael off but can also accept that they'd started running out of ideas for what to do with him. Everymen aren't all that interesting after a while. 

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

They wasted Tom as a character once the show became established. I guess the younger characters were the ones which were capturing more of the headlines. If Roger quit, I don't blame him for doing so. On the other hand, if he was axed it makes for an interesting parallel with what happened to Michael. I wish they hadn't killed Michael off but can also accept that they'd started running out of ideas for what to do with him. Everymen aren't all that interesting after a while. 

Characters like Michael and Tom didn’t need storylines all the time as I found they worked well being a backbone to the family and bay. 

But I think they gave Tom plenty do with it being hard for him to find work and thinking Pippa had cheated on him with the shark catcher. 

As much as I grew to like Michael I would rather Tom had stayed.

But I think it all comes down to TPTB of the show at the time not being interesting in giving adult character much tension. Sure I know adult characters did get storylines from time to time, but I think at that point in time they wanted the prime focus to be on the teens, and that's why characters like Neville/Floss/Morag were dropped and Fiona Spence decided to leave. After Celia left they didn't bring in another older character as a regular until 1994 when Irene became a regular.

On 23/09/2019 at 13:52, Homeandawayfan. said:

Tom was a major character, if not the main character in the first 7 or 8 months but by mid to late 1988 he became more of a glorified extra as Bobby became a major player along with Carly, Frank, the Macklins, Lance and Martin, (Stacey and Brett) and Don etc. By 1990 there was nowhere left for Tom to go, so his demise at the wheel was the best thing for the character.

I think Roger quit but also heard he was axed. I think the former of the 2 is true.

Has this ever been confirmed anywhere?  There are reports that he had issues with the producers, but do you know if he has ever been interviewed and asked this?  In addition, has VanPip mentioned that she left because she missed working with Roger or is that just another rumor?

I felt at times with Pippa & Michael (and maybe it was because Debra & Dennis were co-parenting off-screen) that they were often used separately so that there was always a parent around at Summer Bay House - someone was always in Yabbie Creek. I guess as Michael left we had Steven (I wonder if his exit wasn’t planned when they decided to axe Michael) and then the elder kids, Shannon & Sally stepping up more as they were getting to a more adult age so they didn’t need both the foster Mum & Dad.

Archived