Sign in to follow this  
adam436

When did Sally come into her own?

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 03:19, Sally Keating said:

Alf and Sally gradually became close over the 2000s, but what really cemented their friendship was her speech in episode 4000. As she said herself, it wasn't until she actually sat down to think about what to say in her speech, that she realised just how much Alf meant to her. It was only after this that their onscreen friendship really blossomed and became a focal point, and then with Flynn's death only a few months later.

I've always felt the big turning point was Sally and Flynn's wedding. Up until then, she'd always viewed Don as the closest thing to a father figure she had left. When she needed someone to give her away, she didn't even seem to think of Alf until Leah pointed out that she'd known him just as long: It kind of surprised them both but they realised that him giving her away was what they both wanted, with Alf kind of seeing it as doing a last favour for Tom.(Michael seemed to get tippexed out of continuity for most of the 2000s, despite both Sally and Alf knowing him longer than Tom: When he got a mention just before Sally's departure in 2008, it seemed to be the first time in years.) When Sally got kidnapped by the Summer Bay Stalker, Alf seemed to take it a lot more personally than he would have done a year or two earlier, and of course he was the one that basically declared Sally the new Pippa at the end of 2004 and entrusted Ric to her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

It kind of surprised them both but they realised that him giving her away was what they both wanted, with Alf kind of seeing it as doing a last favour for Tom.(Michael seemed to get tippexed out of continuity for most of the 2000s, despite both Sally and Alf knowing him longer than Tom: When he got a mention just before Sally's departure in 2008, it seemed to be the first time in years.) 

Did Sally know Michael longer? I know Michael was onscreen much longer than Tom, but how long was Sally living with Tom and Pippa before the show began? 

8 minutes ago, adam436 said:

Did Sally know Michael longer? I know Michael was onscreen much longer than Tom, but how long was Sally living with Tom and Pippa before the show began? 

It was only 12-18 months before the show started, when she was 7.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2019 at 22:03, Red Ranger 1 said:

I've always felt the big turning point was Sally and Flynn's wedding. Up until then, she'd always viewed Don as the closest thing to a father figure she had left. When she needed someone to give her away, she didn't even seem to think of Alf until Leah pointed out that she'd known him just as long: It kind of surprised them both but they realised that him giving her away was what they both wanted, with Alf kind of seeing it as doing a last favour for Tom.(Michael seemed to get tippexed out of continuity for most of the 2000s, despite both Sally and Alf knowing him longer than Tom: When he got a mention just before Sally's departure in 2008, it seemed to be the first time in years.) When Sally got kidnapped by the Summer Bay Stalker, Alf seemed to take it a lot more personally than he would have done a year or two earlier, and of course he was the one that basically declared Sally the new Pippa at the end of 2004 and entrusted Ric to her.

All good points. As I said they did become closer over that period. However I still think their friendship only became an actual focal point of the show from ep 4000 onwards. For the characters themselves the friendship may have been cemented earlier, but it was only from this point, I feel, the writers really started to ram down our throats this special bond between them.

Prior to the 2008 mention, Michael was mentioned in 2007 when the men were missing at sea, and Sally was upset with Pippa for acting like everything was going to be ok, just like she did with Michael. He may also have been mentioned He was also referenced (albeit not by name) when Sally put a photo of Pippa and Michael on the mantelpiece and said "We're going to be just as happy as they were", I think circa 2004/5. Apart from that it was mainly Tom who got the mentions, yes.

• Thanks 1

I'd say 2005.  When Dan Bennett took over he put her front and centre in the show, especially after Sally and Flynn had been moved into Summer Bay House.

Michael was referenced in 2006 by Pippa at Flynn's funeral, telling Sally it was OK to grieve for Flynn and that "when (she) lost Tom & Michael" bottling her emotions up was the wrong course of action.  The 2008 mention I'm assuming is the one from Tom in the NDE episode - "all the people you love are here too: Bobby, Michael, Ailsa..." - baby Dale wasn't mentioned bless him, and I'm sure Neville would have liked a shoutout.

18 hours ago, James Martin said:

The 2008 mention I'm assuming is the one from Tom in the NDE episode - "all the people you love are here too: Bobby, Michael, Ailsa..." - baby Dale wasn't mentioned bless him, and I'm sure Neville would have liked a shoutout.

Not everyone can be mentioned - Ailsa, Michael, Bobby and of course, Tom were the main loved ones she lost.

20 hours ago, James Martin said:

The 2008 mention I'm assuming is the one from Tom in the NDE episode - "all the people you love are here too: Bobby, Michael, Ailsa..." - baby Dale wasn't mentioned bless him, and I'm sure Neville would have liked a shoutout.

Yes, that was the one: Bit odd that Tom's the one that remembers Michael! (Sally doesn't even mention the poor guy to Pippa afterwards...) You could probably compile a lengthy list of people Sally knew that died: She was close to Chloe and Charlotte, not to mention her parents and grandmother, but Tom knows who the important characters were.

• Like 1

Charlotte was hardly iconic, certainly not in the same way Ailsa, Bobby and Michael are.

Nothing wrong with Charlotte, she just didn't leave a lasting impression.

13 hours ago, adam436 said:

Charlotte was hardly iconic, certainly not in the same way Ailsa, Bobby and Michael are.

Nothing wrong with Charlotte, she just didn't leave a lasting impression.

In terms of impact on the audience I agree, however I do believe Sally felt close to her. It's a bit odd Sally never mentioned her again.