Characters who left too soon and what the writers could have done with them

adam436

On 17/07/2019 at 20:03, D.B said:

Matt and Evie really should have stayed longer. It would be nice to see more of them as a couple. 

Yeah it would of been nice to see more of them but I also think that they should of got them together from the start because they had attraction when they meet only for Matt to date all the other girls then date Evelyn at the end.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, christine king said:

Yeah it would of been nice to see more of them but I also think that they should of got them together from the start because they had attraction when they meet only for Matt to date all the other girls then date Evelyn at the end.

Matt was so unfortunately underused in his last 12 months and when he left he just one last walk on beach and then  hardly anyone noticed he was gone. 

I do realise we all knew he was leaving and wasn’t leaving alone and was positive ending but just still  felt it was bit flat when his exit screen was  one minute Matt/ Evie/Eloise they were walking along beach   and next minute disappeared into thin air. 

But I can understand why it was right time for Matt to leave as he was almost background speaking extra like Mason was by end and   even though Matt is my all time favourite character . 

Matt had best character journey for troubled bad boy with no respect to mature respectful caring young man who was taking care his  of troubled young sister. 

On 29/03/2020 at 16:50, christine king said:

That's what I always felt as well! I felt the two really kicked off together at the start, then the writers apparently forgot about them until two or three years later. I agree, they should have focused on Matt and Evie together earlier and longer, the show really did a good job with them. Anyways, I hope you are all well and safe during these very troubling times. 

• Like 1

On 08/04/2020 at 07:39, D.B said:

That's what I always felt as well! I felt the two really kicked off together at the start, then the writers apparently forgot about them until two or three years later. I agree, they should have focused on Matt and Evie together earlier and longer, the show really did a good job with them. Anyways, I hope you are all well and safe during these very troubling times. 

I think it’s great how people wanted Matt and Evie to stay and act as a long term, stable couple as both Matt and Evie became very lovable characters.  But unfortunately this is H&A and if they had stayed something dramatic would have to happen eventually to keep storyline’s interesting. Not only that but people might even eventually start to grow to think they  both had run their course and say it’s time for them to leave.  

So perhaps in hindsight it was better they left with a positive ending and sad to see  them leave and having that feeling wishing this lovely people Matt and Evie had stayed. 

Alternative otherwise if they stayed they  might grow dramatically apart and left separately and both could left in much more negative exit and might turned  into unlikeable characters and to point where fans   grow completely over characters and more  then happy to see them leave when time  come for them to depart.

So in saying all that I am  happy with  them leaving the way they did and when they did leave or otherwise departure and characters might not look so fondly upon if they reminded to later date. 

• Like 1

Rabbit.

I really liked her character. The actress who played her did a brilliant job. Whilst understanding H&A quickly burn through story lines, it was probably the best one that Miles had during his stint on the show and actually brought depth to his character a bit. 

I have no ideas how they could have wrote her in for longer, but I'd have loved to have seen her in it longer. Theres something quite interesting when you have a young cast member totally connect with an older one. Max and Colleen had it for about a year or so where they became a strong unlikely duo. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Was there different contract periods for actors in the late 90s/early 00s? Many key characters struggled to make it to 2 or even 3 years. (Tiegan, Liam, Casey, Steph, Aaron, Tom Nash, Natalie, Shelly, Peta, Edward, Judith, Harry, Mitch, Brodie)

Comparatively many of the characters who leave today have done a minimum of 3 years (Maggie, Ben, Brody) or an extension of their contract (Willow, Mason).