Jump to content

Characters who left too soon and what the writers could have done with them


adam436
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 15/06/2019 at 08:27, j.laur5 said:

Neville and Floss were great to have around to be like grandparents to foster kids and to help Pippa out with kids expressing when Tom and Michael dead. 

Alf and Ailsa fulfilled the function of "second parents" to the foster kids, particularly in the early years. I'm re-watching 1989 at the moment - Sally ran to Ailsa when she ran away in the middle of night, Ailsa dished out dating advice to Steven when he was interested in Viv, Alf gave Carly away at her wedding and they regularly babysat Christopher and Sally. They also supported Pippa and the kids in the aftermath of Tom's stroke. 

No need to keep Neville and Floss for stuff like that when Alf and Ailsa could do that and still sustain their own storylines. They clearly weren't working out - it made more sense to forego them in favour of many of the 1989 additions in my opinion.

 

On 15/06/2019 at 08:27, j.laur5 said:

Show really was lacking busybody type character and that’s what Celia was bringing to table. 

Busybodies are very annoying at times and should be kept to a minimum. I couldn't stand Colleen Smart and found her absolutely frustrating, but Celia was more complex. She was a lonely character and I think she would always find comfort in religion, her family and helping others rather than with a man. She could have been better developed, but I think there was a change in direction in 1990, and I can't really see Celia fitting into that sadly. 

One storyline I always wish they'd done with Celia, perhaps even as her exit, was where she found out that Les was alive, perhaps suffering from amnesia or PTSD. She could grapple with the fact he wasn't the same man she fell in love with, before eventually reuniting. She never really got over losing him, so I think it would have been a fitting exit if it were done right and over a decent period (i.e. minimum 3 months and not in the space of a week or two!).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was so much that could have been done with Ty and Joey. I also feel like we could have seen more of Tank. I wasn't really a fan, but if he stayed around for longer, he could have grew on me. 

Edited by D.B
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, D.B said:

There was so much that could have been done with Ty and Joey. I also feel like we could have seen more of Tank. I wasn't really a fan, but if he stayed around for longer, he could have grew on me. 

I agree about Tank - how many bad boys turned likable rogues have we had come and go? And Reece Milne is a great actor, so it's a shame they didn't hold onto him longer. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I couldn't stand Tank. I definitely think they got rid of him at the right time.

I do believe though that the Powers That Be missed a massive opportunity to have Kate Bell who played Joey have a much larger and longer character arc in the series. I would not have had her sexualiy be the main thing that her character was known for and I would have fleshed her out a lot more. Aside from working on the trawler and enjoying fishing and the ocean, that's all she was known for and I really do think that it's a shame and they ( the PTB) did her character and her way of being a real dis- service there. 

Edited by Sunny Girl
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, D.B said:

There was so much that could have been done with Ty and Joey. I also feel like we could have seen more of Tank. I wasn't really a fan, but if he stayed around for longer, he could have grew on me. 

I think the show had actually wanted Ty to stay longer, but the actor got into an acting school so they let him out of his contract early or something? otherwise I imagine he may have stayed for at least 6 months.

I did kind of warm to Tank towards the end, but couldn't see anyone in the Bay forgiving him for what he did despite the fact he was trying to prove he was different. I think he had no choice but to leave really.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Lunar said:

I think the show had actually wanted Ty to stay longer, but the actor got into an acting school so they let him out of his contract early or something? otherwise I imagine he may have stayed for at least 6 months.

I did kind of warm to Tank towards the end, but couldn't see anyone in the Bay forgiving him for what he did despite the fact he was trying to prove he was different. I think he had no choice but to leave really.

People forgave plenty of others . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

People forgave plenty of others . 

Yes I agree, but it just seemed as though they weren't willing to despite the fact he was trying. Everyone just went off on him for still being in the Bay and wouldn't really give him the time of day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/06/2019 at 02:19, Sunny Girl said:

I couldn't stand Tank. I definitely think they got rid of him at the right time.

I never liked Tank back in 2015, and even when he reappeared looking for redemption, I was still suspicious of him, so I get you. I was prepared to give him a chance, because he did give an genuine try to change, but what didn't help was that I partially blame him for the explosion that killed Hannah and Oscar, even though he was sorry for it, and he was rather accepting with everyone's attitude to him. I feel like if he stayed, he may have won me over, but I think that it was best that he left, because whether he wanted to or not, no-one (understandably) would have been happy with him staying around. 

 

Edited by D.B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/06/2019 at 21:43, D.B said:

I never liked Tank back in 2015, and even when he reappeared looking for redemption, I was still suspicious of him, so I get you. I was prepared to give him a chance, because he did give an genuine try to change, but what didn't help was that I partially blame him for the explosion that killed Hannah and Oscar, even though he was sorry for it, and he was rather accepting with everyone's attitude to him. I feel like if he stayed, he may have won me over, but I think that it was best that he left, because whether he wanted to or not, no-one (understandably) would have been happy with him staying around. 

Yeah this is true too...I just think its a shame how a lot of characters seemed to blame him 100% for the explosion and not Andy. I feel like Andy was more to blame as he was the one who started the fight.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.