Short-lived marriages

adam436

Is anyone else getting a bit over the short-lived marriages? Colby and Chelsea, Ricky and Nate, Brody and Ziggy, Liam and Bianca and even, to a lesser extent, Zac and Leah.

Weddings used to big events and must-see viewings, but now they are mainly used as plot devices. I know we had the odd short-lived marriage in the early years too (i.e. Frank and Bobby, Chloe and James), but it just feels more frequent and the marriages feel more rushed now.

Thinking back to "the early years", we've had so many non-weddings/broken engagements that probably would have happened had we had the same writers back then. For example, Lance and Mariyln would have married in 1990 only for him to run dump her and join the army a few weeks later, Ben Lucini probably would have left Carly behind in Summer Bay (I've heard she was written out because Julian McMahon quit), Andrew and Stacey and Travis and Kelly would have been married for a few weeks and Jesse McGregor's wife would have been arrested after they said "I do". Maybe even Sally and Brad would have had a few weeks of marriage before she realised she wasn't over Flynn,

I agree. I think part of it is they seem to want to do a wedding as a big event every year now, but it doesn't always give characters time to build relationships properly, and then end those relationships without any issues if they find they're not a good fit. It just makes it all seem a bit rushed.

I also feel like younger people would be less likely to rush into getting married (in this day and age anyway, where I think the average age people are getting married and having kids is higher), unless there was a religious aspect to it. I guess 30+ people it feels a bit more natural and relationships do tend to move quicker at that point.

I also didn't see the point in Colby and Chelsea's wedding to be honest. Most people weren't very invested in her as a character or their relationship, so making a guest character's wedding a big event seemed silly.

10 hours ago, Lunar said:

I also feel like younger people would be less likely to rush into getting married (in this day and age anyway, where I think the average age people are getting married and having kids is higher),

Results from 2016 2017 poll average age bride is 28 groom 29 just thought might be intrestred

Was Roo and Harvy short didn't watch back than.  Romeo and indi and Jack Martha very on again off again in thire marriages than ones aren't short lived they left lot long after i do (or one died not long after)

Probaly easier make list long marriages we saw play out on screen 

Alf Alisa 

Tom Pipa

John Gina

John Marilyn 

Leah and Dan?

11 hours ago, project90 said:

Results from 2016 2017 poll average age bride is 28 groom 29 just thought might be intrestred

Was Roo and Harvy short didn't watch back than.  Romeo and indi and Jack Martha very on again off again in thire marriages than ones aren't short lived they left lot long after i do (or one died not long after)

Alf Alisa 

Tom Pipa

John Gina

John Marilyn 

Leah and Dan?

Thanks I thought it was around 28! Thats why it seems a bit off with people like Ziggy rushing into it.

Harvey and Roo lasted a year and a bit I think, although he was gone for part of it as he went sailing and was presumed dead until he showed up later.

4 hours ago, Lunar said:

Harvey and Roo lasted a year and a bit I think, although he was gone for part of it as he went sailing and was presumed dead until he showed up later.

Oh, I forgot about them! That would have been about the same length as Zac and Leah then. 

I know actors come and go, so marriages Harvey and Roo and Zac and Leah had to end, but why marry off Colby and Chelsea and Ricky and Nate? Or even split up Brody and Ziggy so soon and in the same way as Zac and Leah? That marriage could have easily ended without an affair (i.e. going down the "we got married too young" route). 

18 hours ago, project90 said:

Alf Alisa 

Tom Pipa

John Gina

John Marilyn 

Leah and Dan?

Michael and Pippa obviously, who were together on screen longer than Tom and Pippa. Don and Marilyn were longer than average.Joel and Natalie were together on screen for quite a while, same with Rhys and Shelley.

Was thinking more the ones we saw get married on-screen, not the ones that come in already married

I always thought maybe Alf and Irene, well they've truly missed the boat now but Alf lost Ailsa and Irene lost Ken around the same time, so it would have been a 19 year on screen relationship if they had gone down that road.

If we are looking at couples who married onscreen, then Alf and Ailsa hold the record. Michael and Pippa are currently second (I think!), but John and Marilyn will surpass them by the end of the year :) 

I think anything over 18 months - two years onscreen is not bad for H&A. Travis and Rebecca left together, but we still had nearly 2 years of them married onscreen.

Fisher and Marilyn were married for nearly 3 years onscreen, and Sally and Flynn and John and Gina were married for well over two years. Dan and Leah had 2+ years of being married too, but they were separated for some of that. 

16 hours ago, project90 said:

Was thinking more the ones we saw get married on-screen, not the ones that come in already married

You included Tom and Pippa though! Ones that came in already married (of which there aren't many) did tend to stay together for at least a while, until one of them wanted to leave.

Archived