Summer Bay High School - Uniform

welshbayfan

Oh yeah, the blue dress lasted throughout the first season, they brought in the current uniform in 1989.

I think we can safely say that the dress code at Summer Bay High is a bit loose, although some regimes are more benevolent than others: I doubt Barry Hyde or Donald Fisher would have let Bella get away with that adjustment!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I do find it a bit weird how lax they are with uniforms - especially with the jeans. I get its just a show and they want to be able to show their own style, but they could do that in other ways - like with backpacks or folders.

Maybe thats just because uniforms are so strict in the UK now that I find it odd. Dangly earrings, coloured socks, jeans, trainers etc would be a no-go these days.

9 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Oh yeah, the blue dress lasted throughout the first season, they brought in the current uniform in 1989.

That really surprises me that it was only for the first season - in my head it felt like it was the first few years!!

2 hours ago, voyager50 said:

That really surprises me that it was only for the first season - in my head it felt like it was the first few years!!

No, Carly was in that the following year. It's always been a bit of a disappointment to me that we never got to see Bobby, Roo and Lynn in the "proper" uniform.

carly 1989.jpg

5 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

No, Carly was in that the following year. It's always been a bit of a disappointment to me that we never got to see Bobby, Roo and Lynn in the "proper" uniform.

I guess after nearly 30 years my memory has faded!

The cut off dress with trousers is definitely pushing the envelope. My old school was relatively liberal when it came to us making adjustments to our uniforms. The socks over the knee would've been OK (I quite like the stripy socks one) but they'd have drawn the line at the cutoff dress/top. 

It's surprising that they've kept that uniform for 30 years now. It, and Alf, seem to be the two constants on the show. 

Yeah Bella does seem to be a tad to far to be believed! Most UK schools ban over knee socks and will only allow girls to wear plain white or black socks.

If girls tried these variations in the uk they would not get into the school grounds, let alone the school itself!

Well technically they all have a choice, as it was emphasized in the early years that the uniform was optional (which begs the question why everyone always wore it?).

In this day and age girls wouldn't be forced to wear a skirt if they didn't want to, so I guess we just have to assume they all want to.

Kit and tasha wore the "boy's" uniform for a while.

I do find it odd that in a place which is supposed to be as hot as Summer Bay, the boys don't wear shorts to school as they do in Neighbours.

Uniform was optional in the early years but I think that changed round about the time Barry Hyde took over, which is when Tasha was forced to stop wearing the boy's uniform.(Kit had left school by that point.) Tamara wasn't allowed to school without wearing the proper uniform (which was when Gina was principal). Greg Snelgrove sensibly put a stop to the ex-Mangrove River kids wearing the wrong uniform for two years. I think Maggie just let Bella get away with breaking the uniform code rather than give her a reaction.

Archived