Christmas in the Bay

D.B

A couple of episodes ago in the UK, Justin said that Mason "hadn't been excited like that since Christmas." That just got me wondering, have we ever seen Christmas been celebrated in Home and Away before? Did we ever have a Christmas special? Do you guys think there should be, if there hasn't? 

I can't remember any Christmas episodes. I could only find Sally and Marilyn mentioning Christmas:

I guess since they tend to follow real-time when it comes to birthdays and such, Christmas usually gets skipped due to them going on break for half of December and January.

There was also Christmas themed episodes in 1994 and 2004. In 1994, there was that scene at Summer Bay House where Sally blamed Pippa for her and Michael's separation. And the wonderful series final episode in 2004 where everyone in the Bay happily came together.

Few pics below of some of the times Christmas was acknowledged on-screen, some of which have been mentioned:

First pic is the 1988 finale which actually showed Christmas day itself - Christmas decorations were also seen from 1990-1992 but I don't think much fuss was made.

Next two are the 1994 finale week which also showed Christmas day (I think that and 1988 may be the only two times...)

1995 finale week again had Christmas trees up in the various households and a few gatherings, including the little shindig in Don's office that's pictured.

The 1996 finale which had the residents going around the houses singing carols on Christmas eve, juxtaposed with Chloe discovering her boyfriend Brad was actually her rapist and watching as he got caught in an animal trap in the bush.

The last pic was Colleen's Christmas pageant in the 2006 finale.

And of course 2004 as Jamie pointed out, it was said to be "nearly Christmas" so Paulini sang Silent Night for Baby Pippa - and then the great closing montage to the episode, set to Away in a Manger.

That's all I've got from memory...

2 hours ago, D.B said:

Ah, I see. Thanks guys, I was wondering about it, but it appears that it was way before I was watching it. Do you guys think that they should do another one again? 

If anything it would make more sense now that the seasons are running well into December.

One of the Script Producers did once tell me that the usual tendency was to avoid holidays in the show, and mentioning specific dates on-screen, due to not knowing when episodes will air in overseas markets (or in Australia nowdays for that matter, with the planned flow of stories now being undermined by Seven's schedulers). But there's obviously been exceptions from time to time with the likes of Anzac Day.

2 hours ago, Dan F said:

If anything it would make more sense now that the seasons are running well into December.

One of the Script Producers did once tell me that the usual tendency was to avoid holidays in the show, and mentioning specific dates on-screen, due to not knowing when episodes will air in overseas markets (or in Australia nowdays for that matter, with the planned flow of stories now being undermined by Seven's schedulers). But there's obviously been exceptions from time to time with the likes of Anzac Day.

Speaking of Anzac Day, do you know how many times they have done that? Do you think it is likely they will mention that this year?

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/04/2019 at 20:49, Dan F said:

Few pics below of some of the times Christmas was acknowledged on-screen, some of which have been mentioned:

First pic is the 1988 finale which actually showed Christmas day itself - Christmas decorations were also seen from 1990-1992 but I don't think much fuss was made.

Next two are the 1994 finale week which also showed Christmas day (I think that and 1988 may be the only two times...)

1995 finale week again had Christmas trees up in the various households and a few gatherings, including the little shindig in Don's office that's pictured.

The 1996 finale which had the residents going around the houses singing carols on Christmas eve, juxtaposed with Chloe discovering her boyfriend Brad was actually her rapist and watching as he got caught in an animal trap in the bush.

The last pic was Colleen's Christmas pageant in the 2006 finale.

And of course 2004 as Jamie pointed out, it was said to be "nearly Christmas" so Paulini sang Silent Night for Baby Pippa - and then the great closing montage to the episode, set to Away in a Manger.

That's all I've got from memory...

2009 finale had a christmas party remember.....the big people smuggling storyline

Archived