Was 2000 meant to be a "revamp"?

adam436

Actually, I've reconsidered my previous thoughts, in 2010, the episodes slowly started to pick up again and in 2015 - present, they've just been getting better and again, more like 1988 - 2000. I even get the same feeling watching the current eps that I got/get when watching the Early Years.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/01/2020 at 00:06, Homeandawayfan. said:

1990, 1995, 2000, and 2005 to me are all revamp years for H&A. Oddly enough, all are 5 years apart exactly.

I definitely get the revamp vibe in 1990 and 2000.

The show had a sexier vibe in 1990. We lost characters like Morag, Celia, Tom, Lance, Martin and "unofficial regulars" Stacey, and Andrew, and we got the likes of Sophie, Emma, Viv, Grant, Ben etc. to replace them, who would walk around shirtless for no reason :lol:

2005 - I'd say it began in late 2004, with the Sutherlands' exits and Sally and Flynn moving into Summer Bay House, but the final episode of 2004 really felt like a "era-ending" episode in the way it ended. I actually gave up watching 2005 for a good few years. The stalker storyline and Chloe's death really turned me off :(

I can't really see it in 1995 though - the later 1990s certainly felt all over the place it's hard to pick one definitive year that felt like a revamp. 

On 26/01/2020 at 07:30, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Just watched the episode where Ailsa died and it definitely does feel revamped. Definitely Home and Away's Barnhurst 5 era, you could even compare Ailsa's death and Donald's departure to Myra Desmond's death and Judy Bryant's departure.

@Luigi Severus Fletcher, that's an interesting comparison. Funnily enough Prisoner also had a flashbacks episode prior to the Barnhurst 5 arrive and H&A had Sally's nostalgia-filled cancelled wedding with all the returnees the week before the Sutherland's arrived :)

23 hours ago, adam436 said:

I definitely get the revamp vibe in 1990 and 2000.

The show had a sexier vibe in 1990. We lost characters like Morag, Celia, Tom, Lance, Martin and "unofficial regulars" Stacey, and Andrew, and we got the likes of Sophie, Emma, Viv, Grant, Ben etc. to replace them, who would walk around shirtless for no reason :lol:

2005 - I'd say it began in late 2004, with the Sutherlands' exits and Sally and Flynn moving into Summer Bay House, but the final episode of 2004 really felt like a "era-ending" episode in the way it ended. I actually gave up watching 2005 for a good few years. The stalker storyline and Chloe's death really turned me off :(

I can't really see it in 1995 though - the later 1990s certainly felt all over the place it's hard to pick one definitive year that felt like a revamp. 

@Luigi Severus Fletcher, that's an interesting comparison. Funnily enough Prisoner also had a flashbacks episode prior to the Barnhurst 5 arrive and H&A had Sally's nostalgia-filled cancelled wedding with all the returnees the week before the Sutherland's arrived :)

1995 was like "Okay, we had no births, deaths or marriages last year but ratings have slipped a little, let's bring back the grit!" (Taking nothing away from 1994 which was dramatic enough without those)

Archived