Was 2000 meant to be a "revamp"?

adam436

On 03/05/2019 at 07:06, adam436 said:

I actually would not have put Colleen in that list, and even Leah, since she'd only been around a few months. Ailsa was pretty much just their employer, I don't think there was anything particular close about their relationship. 

On that though, we'd literally just done the whole grieving/death scenario with Ken Smith a few months earlier. Ken was a relatively minor character compared to Ailsa but you get what I mean... it would be the same thing. 

When you think about it  was Ailsa ever all that close to Sally  as they never really had that much screen time together in 12 years they were on show together. 

If anything I think Ailsa was closer to Leah in 2000 then Sally and I think Sally was more closer to Irene then Ailsa overall. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/04/2019 at 22:43, David Deex said:

I think 2011 was a bit of a revamp, the show introduced the Braxtons and some even darker storylines. Another revamp has been from 2017-2019, you could probably include 2016 in that as well. That period has been a mini revamp.

I think the show is more focused on 20-30 somethings than ever now.

The thing is, the 2017 - 2019 episodes have that pull that the 1988 - 2000 episodes have... It's sucked me in completely, the last time I was sucked in completly was when the Early Years was on.

I loved 1998-2000, as I did most of the show pre-2001, but I know it's considered by many fans to be a bit of a lull. For me, it is a probably more a transitional period between the mid 90s heyday and the Sutherland era, and the last years of "classic" Home and Away. 

The period had some iconic characters - Vinnie, Joey, Tegan, Joel, Chloe, Travis and Rebecca, Gypsy, Alf, Ailsa, Fisher, Marilyn, Justine and towards the end of the era, Shauna, Leah and Edward. I also think this period was when Irene was at her best. There were some equally forgettable characters (i.e. Tom Nash, Judith, Mitch, James, Aaron), but you get them in every era :)

In terms of storylines we had Mariyln's pregnancy/post-natal depression followed by Byron's death, the Robert Perez stuff, Justine accused of a baby's death, Ailsa's car accident, Edward dealing with his Huntington's diagnosis, Chloe and Irene's battles with Diana Fraser just to name a few. Overall, a great era in my opionion. 

9 hours ago, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

The thing is, the 2017 - 2019 episodes have that pull that the 1988 - 2000 episodes have... It's sucked me in completely, the last time I was sucked in completly was when the Early Years was on.

Totally agree. They've kept storylines stepped up like it has been since the 2000s but they have also reintroduced some of the calmer elements and some of the comedy has come back the past two years as well. Strangely enough, this year they seem to be accepting and celebrating their heritage as well. They do it on Facebook sometimes and they have the theme song back.

• 1 month later...
On 02/05/2019 at 01:17, Matt said:

I tend to disagree with this statement. In fact, I think the best thing they could've done was to skip over the mourning and the grief. It's honestly the most boring thing to watch when it's all the time and as you noted, it would've been at least a third of the cast... And really, by skipping it all, it allowed for them to go back into normal storytelling as opposed to having to wait it out...

One of the weirdest things I've ever read...skip over the drama because drama is boring, even though soaps are based on drama. Bizarre.

On 25/08/2019 at 13:18, j.laur5 said:

The interesting thing when watch year 2000 episodes recently is how Leah and Irene barely had any screen time together that year and to think they become the longest friendship on the show. 

Their friendship developed over the years and progressed naturally, rather than forcing the friendship from the first episode. Alf and Sally barely had any screen time together in 1988. Is that interesting too? 

On 30/09/2019 at 10:00, adam436 said:

Their friendship developed over the years and progressed naturally, rather than forcing the friendship from the first episode. Alf and Sally barely had any screen time together in 1988. Is that interesting too? 

It’s just that I was watching the 2000 season recently and I was watching Alf/Irene/Leah carefully to see how they changed and it’s just something I noticed. Of course I realise close friendships grow over time.  

You would never have guessed in 2000 that Leah would still be in the show 20 years later, and being best friends with someone she hardly  spent much time with in 2000.  

Whereas with Leah & Sally you could see them eventually becoming best friends.

Alf and Sally only really become close after Donald left, I guess it made sense to bring the final two original cast members closer together.

• 3 months later...

Just watched the episode where Ailsa died and it definitely does feel revamped. Definitely Home and Away's Barnhurst 5 era, you could even compare Ailsa's death and Donald's departure to Myra Desmond's death and Judy Bryant's departure.

Archived