Same day airings

Bri1231

14 minutes ago, Bri1231 said:

Why can't Home and Away have same day airings in the UK as does Neighbours? Start a season at the start of the year end it at the end. Does anyone know the answer to this? 

I'd say it'd be part of the contractual agreement that Seven has made with Five.

On 14/03/2019 at 13:22, Matt said:

I'd say it'd be part of the contractual agreement that Seven has made with Five.

I am back in Ireland now. Maybe post brexit RTE will again go ahead of Channel Five as the UK will no longer have the European first rights as it will not be in the EU anymore. Ireland will however ?

2 hours ago, Bri1231 said:

I am back in Ireland now. Maybe post brexit RTE will again go ahead of Channel Five as the UK will no longer have the European first rights as it will not be in the EU anymore. Ireland will however ?

Still in Europe though... Same as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Ukraine and Albania. (I seem to remember Norway wasn't allowed to go ahead of the UK at one point.)

• 2 months later...
On 14/03/2019 at 13:07, Bri1231 said:

Why can't Home and Away have same day airings in the UK as does Neighbours? Start a season at the start of the year end it at the end. Does anyone know the answer to this? 

I think its due to the inconsistent airing schedule in Aus, with them having triple episodes sometimes on Thursdays as opposed to a general Mon-Fri, 5 episodes a week scheduling. If Seven changed to that, then I imagine Five could too and would be able to air the same time.

• 4 months later...

Channel 5 could probably get around the inconsistent schedule by airing a week behind Australia. The UK was, I think, 4 days behind when the series left ITV. However I recall reading that the gap may be due to Channel 5 renegotiating the contact (for a cheaper price).

RTE many years ago were months ahead of the UK. They seem to be showing it the same day as C5 now. However though Sky it is blocked in Northern Ireland.

Not sure if the B-Word will affect anything. I'm sure RTE would jump at the chance to be ahead again, that was always something they seemed to like to promote.

Archived