2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I thought what Blake did was pretty messed up.  Even putting aside the fact that he didn't know what effects drugging Maggie would have had, there's also the fact she is a recovering cancer sufferer.

Sadly it's reached the point when I'm finding Bella insufferable.  I do have a lot of sympathy for her, after what Tommy did to her, her own brother murdering her dad in cold blood and her having to keep quiet about it.  But seeing her constantly lash out, her attitude towards Mackenzie (even though I don't particularly like Mackenzie) I'm finding it pretty unbearable to watch.  I do agree with a comment someone made a while back in that the way she's going she's going to seriously do someone damage one day.

Another person I've been finding hard to stomach is Justin and his attitude towards Robbo.  Even more so than Bella.  As Robbo himself alluded to, Justin would do the exact same thing in his position.  And as Mason basically said, he seemed to focus more on Grace than he did on his own daughter.  It was annoying how he blamed Robbo for Tori being in a coma but it was Tori's own fault.  She decided to use Robbo's sperm without his consent.  It says a lot that Mason and even Leah were on Robbo's side.  I will say that I don't like the way Robbo has been excluding Jasmine at all.  I think he's being out of order and I did feel sorry for her even though I didn't like the way she defended Justin.  I am concerned how attached Robbo is to the baby as if Tori recovers, she's going to want him to give Grace back which will be hugely problematic.

I have to admit, Irene's face when she saw what happened with Willow and Alex was priceless.  My personal opinion just watching the last couple of episodes is that Alex is setting herself up for a fall.  I think romance is often a good example of when someone who is intelligent becomes emotional/hormonal then logic and reasoning seem to go out the window.  Alex withdrew from Willow's kiss, seems to have reservations about Willow because she knows Willow is straight but wants to 'hang out', with 'no labels' and take it slowly.  She even acknowledged that her desire was overriding her concerns about being hurt.  I actually don't blame her especially given that in a small town like Summer Bay and her work schedule there aren't going to be a lot of opportunities to meet people.

Good news, about the AFP dropping the charges against Ben.  We'll see how he copes with his depression now.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After being less than supportive last episode, Irene redeemed herself by having a decent chat with Willow, who wasn’t really being fair on Alex. So they chatted and agreed to hang out and if it develops…I dunno, I’m reserving judgement on this.

More of Colby being a rubbish brother while somehow acting like he’s in the right. Maybe my dislike of the character is affecting my opinion, but that’s what happens when a character is consistently portrayed as selfish and hypocritical. It also feels like there’s been no real attempt to convince us that he and Mackenzie are somehow important enough that Bella’s feelings don’t matter. In fact, Colby came across as such a smug jerk that I’m left wondering why Mackenzie hasn’t just cut ties: She wasn’t even taken in by his blatant lie about Bella being “OKish” about them but went along with it anyway.

Well, good news for Ben about the charges finally being dropped. Dean’s dilemma seems a bit manufactured though. He’s only got the job at Salt because he lost his job at the board ship, so why doesn’t he just quit and go back there (assuming Ben will pay him enough to live on)?

Well done Mason for finally making Justin see sense, it seemed to me he'd totally forgotten how hard a time he had persuading Nina to let him have contact with Ava let alone see her.  He'd been banned seeing her after the kidnapping, Willow was threatened by Nina that if she didn't stop seeing him she'd stop him seeing Ava.  Luckily Ava has been fine about it  - no throwing a  strop and I  liked how Leah handled it and  explained what was going on to her without patronising her.  Both of them were checking out what their rights were, Justin all fired up to call his lawyer,  Robbo checking over the agreement, doesn't Justin have a copy handy?  Good to see them both talking calmly so peace has been resumed - until the next time.:wink:  Robbo is behaving the way he is towards Jasmine because he is going by what she said about not wanting children so he's not wanting to pressurise her into looking after Grace.  But she hasn't said to him she has no problem about doing it and in fact would love to - serious case of crossed wires there, she - or someone - needs to tell him she wants to be involved with Grace. 

Colby may be a good cop, but he's rubbish at handling his relationships.  If he was supposed to have finished with Mac, who I'm really going off of btw - he should stay finished, not sneak off behind Bella's back to see her.  He did at last tell Bella he was going to start seeing Mac  again whatever she thought so time at the flat is going to be fraught, maybe time for Robbo, Jasmine and Grace got their own place, must be cramped anyway with five - or four and a half - of them there.

Alex & Willow, part drunk snog, part because she wanted to, even Willow wasn't sure.  I didn't see Irene as being disapproving, more startled to see who was kissing whom, Willow has always seemed definitely more into blokes and she did give her good advice after seeing Willow tell Alex she didn't remember what she did the night before - ouch.   That would have been my decision if I'd been Willow for her and Alex just hang out as 'friends' and take things slowly.  No need for them to come out - sorry no pun intended - and tell people they are 'seeing' each other, folk will clock it soon enough.   Jasmine will, though Willow had confided in her about Alex kissing her and her not really minding.  Love to be a fly on the wall when Dean finds out, he seemed prepared to sort out this person  Willow had been silly with the night before.  Alex will have a had a bad experience before - it's written in soap folk lore someone has to. 

Great news about Ben, but is that all we and him are going to get - the Feds have dropped their charges - no mention of who was behind it all?   I'd want to know after all the stress he'd gone through.  He seemed up for helping Dean out on the lessons but now repaying his favour by offering him his old job back.  Not as if business will be booming from day one, he's got to get the news he's open for business again out there first and from what we saw between him and John it may not be at the Surf Club.

Okay, so it seems Dean going back to work for Ben rather than Mackenzie was more problematic than I thought yesterday, but not for long as Mackenzie has a solution.I'm not quite sure why Mackenzie doesn't have many fans, as I quite like her, even if I do think it's a shame she's been paired with lost cause Colby. I really liked her and Dean's sibling scene at the caravan park with them both feeling out how to behave around each other.When is Dean planning to start charging for the surf lessons anyway? The plan was to give some free lessons to start with to build a reputation, but it's been going on for weeks, and it feels like the longer they're free, the harder it will be to say "Oh yes, you have to pay now." Wouldn't it have been smarter to offer a free introductory lesson to everyone and have them pay from the second one?

I think it was mentioned a while back that someone had been arrested in Indonesia for the drug smuggling and we know it was the people running that factory Ben used.Anyway, that's almost a side issue as it turns out getting his old life back isn't a quick fix for Ben, as Maggie warned, and he's in danger of being overwhelmed again.John continues to do quite well as a substitute Alf.

It's fair to assume that Georgie Parker was suddenly unavailable.I'm wondering if it would have been better to say Roo was on a course rather than constantly playing a game of "Yeah, I just saw her, she's around somewhere." (It would leave Ryder on his own with Leah at the Morgans', but he's eighteen so it shouldn't be a problem.) The result today was that Ryder got drafted in as a confidante for Marilyn, which was probably the most interesting thing in that storyline. Nice to get confirmation Raffy knows about Tori, which has been a bit vague up until now.

OK Mac was OK with Dean it's just when she is with Colby she annoys me, one moment telling him she can't be with him because of his job, yet then meeting him for a crafty snog and telling him she does want to be with him.  Can see why Bella is concerned.  Ryder did a couple of good deeds letting Mac in on Dean's dilemma which he didn't appreciate it at first but her solution did appear to solve the problem and he didn't take offence at her offer of a loan, guess he's spent all the cash Rick gave him.  It does relieve him of the problem of putting together a business plan.  Not many  would have thought Dean would be so responsible and worried about paying his way and not letting people down. I think and I'm no expert but while he is giving free lessons he's not liable for public liability insurance but once people start paying he will be.  :unsure:  Perhaps once he does have that in hand he can tell people last chance for free lessons, next one you'll be paying for. 

I remember the guy getting nicked in Indonesia but it was still vague as to how the AFP decided Ben wasn't involved, he'd only just seen his lawyer.  Can't blame Ben for being so enthusiastic at getting his business up and running again but he was being a tad optimistic.  John had certainly done  a  u turn he was anti Ben before but now is his champion going into bat for him at the committee.  Alf would be impressed not to say astonished.  I guess they can handle the hike in rent.  John's words of warning(?) seemed to throw Ben a bit.  As I said before he's got to get the word out he's back in business - hey Ziggy job for you - get new gear in , it's not going to happen overnight.

Ryder's second good deed of the day was recognising Marilyn wasn't 'fine' and offering an ear/shoulder. Roo, it appeared, was doing HSC marking.  Marilyn is really lost if she isn't looking after someone and she can only do so many shifts at the Diner.  Good she got to talk to Raffy, and know she is doing OK on the cannabis trial but also would have her miss her more.  Why doesn't she go and visit Jett? Ryder must have mentioned to John about Marilyn is feeling going by to-nights events.

Episode count this week:Roo remains MIA, for the third week running.

It's ironic that, after all that fuss wanting to see Grace, now that he and Robbo have smoothed things over, Justin can't stand to be around her.Especially since Robbo is in full-on over-protective mode and could use some support: Whilst I'm sure Willow will appreciate the help at the gym, he needs to trust other people with Grace rather than cart her around at work.I didn't actually think Justin was that hard on Leah in the circumstances so I'm glad she understood.

No magic fix for Ben, but he's got people around to catch him.Him going back on the medication won't be a magic cure-all either, as he found last time.He talked about changing the dosage but that shouldn't happen overnight, and dealing with the side effects on top of the anxiety and depression isn't going to leave him in the best frame of mind to be running the board shop.It feels like there's potentially a parallel to be made between Ben and Marilyn, but her storyline still feels a bit undercooked.

Good to see Robbo finally took Grace out of the flat and she was covered from the sun.  Odd reaction from Justin not wanting anything to do with her.   Probably to do with the fact he'd just been to see Tori and she was still in the same condition.:unsure:  I did smile when Robbo said he was taking her to the gym, I had a vision of her being given mini weights.:D  Talking of Tori being on life support we wait ages for stories of people being on it then lo and behold at two come along - Corrie being  the  another one.:wink:   Relieved to see Justin biting lumps out of people didn't last long and her told Leah why he was so upset.  Like most relatives he felt helpless he couldn't do anything to help Tori also he was avoiding going home as he didn't want to dodge questions from Ava.

Understandable Ben was uneasy about starting up the board shop, but he's not on his own, now Dean is free from his Salt job he'll be there to take up any slack if Ben needs to take a break. Funnily enough I had the same thought as Dean about them combining their  businesses, Dean gives lessons and Ben sells the boards or vice versa works both ways.  Hit and miss with his meds same as it was with Raffy before the trial. 

Wise of Ryder to call John  when Maz was so upset - though nothing really seemed to get resolved between them.  Should we expect to see another young person arriving soon who needs a home?

Does Bella have borderline personality disorder? I don't know why, but I find her rather endearing and likable, despite her rage issues. I think I've mentioned it before, but does she remind anybody else of a young Vanessa Paradis?

I wish Marilyn would have a proper story line. No more fostering kids or similar themes, but something interesting and fresh, like she tries to start her own amusement park or becomes friends with "a ghost?" 

Is it just me or does Ryder suddenly look a lot more mature? Last year he looked very boyish, now he looks manly. I know the actor is in his 20s in real life.

Does anybody else hate bed/after sex scenes? Like the other day Justin and Leah, in the past other people. It's not needed. 

Also, I just noticed the other day, that Marilyn and Jasmin look very similar, like mother daughter.

I'm continuing to enjoy Leah and Justin as a unit and Ava remains cute as a button (as, of course, does Buddy!).It's nice that Brody and Raffy continue to be included, although the promo indicates Mason isn't going to be there for the family get-together, which defeats the objective somewhat.Getting an update on Raffy from other avenues as well of course, although it's hard for me to care about Marilyn's umpteenth bout of tears about no longer being part of her life: We've had years of this.

John has indeed had a bit of a turnaround with regards to Ben operating out of the surf club, but hey, good on him.Ben at least had the sense to talk to Alex (off screen) before just going back on his medication.It remains to be seen whether it'll be as simple as him being able to cope with the side effects now he knows what to expect, but it is good that there continues to be no quick fix, with not even him getting his life from before the depression back reversing things.

Robbo continues to make things hard on himself: Justin was more comfortable around Grace here, but Robbo whisked her away pretty quickly.Irene was another one who took a hit over the whole Luc business, as well as her less-than-successful involvement with Bella, but she gets points for good intentions.

Justin, Ava and Leah make a good team and good that Justin isn't keeping things bottled up , just because he used to be the one - along with Tori -  in making  decisions for Brody and Mason when they were younger he needs to realise he doesn't have to anymore, they are both adults now.  Mason would be working  and hasn't been at NDH that long so bit unrealistic for him to take time off so soon.  Nice to see Buddy again.?

I can see it from Marilyn's point of view her and Raffy were very close, she was Raffy's mother figure, and to find out from Maggie Raffy is enrolling at school rather than hear it from Raffy and she had only spoken to her  a day or so before would have stung. It does get very tiring when folk trot out that big  "I'm fine" lie - Marilyn so obviously wasn't, thought Irene would have twigged that. Didn't think it would be that easily settled despite what she told John the day before.  She needs to find a purpose.

Robbo is finding out what it is like to be an on hands parent - as he admitted to Irene when Lucas and Sophia were young most of the time he was away working  and Lauren did most of the child care - good to see him give it good go though. Irene didn't tell Robbo what he should be doing just lent a helping hand the same as she would if it had been a female.  She did enquire about Jasmine's involvement but got fobbed off.  Jasmine herself raises the subject again tonight. Btw did I spot a slight continuity hiccup only we hear Grace crying then see her with her dummy in her mouth.:unsure:

Did like John's jokey denial about his previous anti Ben stance  and good to see he's got his back.  Pretty obvious, to us at least,  there wasn't going to be  a long queue of people wanting to buy/hire boards, buy the soap for them etc.  It was just Ben that needed some convincing.  I liked how John gave Maggie the heads up about Ben having effectively a panic attack.  Pretty flexible about appointments at NDH as Alex was free to see Ben right away.  Maybe now Ben has something to focus on he will be more resolved regarding the coping mechanisms and medication.  And yeh he made a sale!

Archived