2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Alf's episode count this week:Two.

I should probably give up trying to make sense of Robbo's storyline by now, given that it's never made much sense and there's still plot threads from two years ago that are never going to be resolved.But it's a compulsion so...who exactly is Victor? Robbo's explanation here was perfunctory at best but he doesn't seem to be one of the corrupt cops that Carter was part of.Given that Novak's been retconned as a gang leader instead of a hitman, was Victor a member of the same gang group looking to make a name for himself? We got a slight hint of the Carter that Kat managed to talk down when he held her, Ash and Billie hostage here, although the fact he's spent two years as a shadowy crime boss makes it clear he's not exactly whiter than white.

So, it seems Maggie's lecture to Ben did help, or at least didn't hurt? All I'll say is "Don't try this at home, kids." I did like the references to Coco and Raffy throughout the episode: That teen group's pretty much fractured, but not forgotten.

Leah moving in with Justin and Ava (and Mason), apparently on a temporary basis, is a welcome development: She's felt like a bit of a third wheel living with Alf and Roo so it's about time she had a family of her own again, although with Ava intended to go back at some point it remains to be seen how long it will last.I'm pleased that Mason's pleased with regards the internship but somewhat surprised: I thought the WA posting was a way to write him out in future but apparently not.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Leah moving in with Justin and Ava (and Mason), apparently on a temporary basis, is a welcome development: She's felt like a bit of a third wheel living with Alf and Roo so it's about time she had a family of her own again, although with Ava intended to go back at some point it remains to be seen how long it will last.I'm pleased that Mason's pleased with regards the internship but somewhat surprised: I thought the WA posting was a way to write him out in future but apparently not.

I agree about Leah and if it is permanent, then while her departure from Summer Bay House was underwhelming, that pretty much summed up her time living there since VJ left. The relationship progression was downplayed though, so I hope we get more scenes regarding that.

I thought the same about Mason.

I do have to say I did believe Carter's claim he didn't have anything to do with the slaughter of Robbo's family - he looked genuinely shocked.  Him losing his son was a big part of his problem with Kat and him saying he wouldn't put anyone through that seemed real.  From what I could gather Victor Devlin was a minor player in whatever he was involved in but has risen in the ranks.   We didn't find out why Carter forced Robbo onto the boat at gun point which was a mystery then and still is.    If I remember right Kat was one of a group of cops who were going to testify against Carter and his cohorts and all but Kat had been killed.  Could it be  Carter had changed his mind about bumping Kat off?:unsure:  The penny appeared to drop with Robbo that  it was Victor who killed them, he did have photos of them when he took Robbo prisoner.  Small niggle but when Robbo ordered Carter's men into the cell, did he lock the door?

Sudden decision by Leah to move into the Morgan house, but makes sense, Justin can get back to work at last and Mason will be working odd hours at the hospital so at least someone will be there for Ava, more shifts at the Diner for Maz, who needs the distraction and Irene. Nice touch Ava hearing from Raffy and I think it must have been Raffy on the phone to Ryder wishing him luck.

Rather sad scenes of Ben listening to Justin, Leah and Ava making plans, seeing them playing footie and seeing the other family groups at the caravan park. Did get worried when he put his things in his car and drove off, the letter he left Alf left things up in the air by not saying much.  Huge relief when he turned up at the farmhouse and admitted he needed help, that is the first step to him getting well, we saw him talking to Alex, she is multi talented. 

Alex must have quite a bit of sway getting the board to re-consider taking Mason on as an intern, though first he needs to get up to speed on his medical skills.  His cheeky question as to if he should ask Willow to join them to celebrate brought a strange, well I thought so,  response from Alex who commented that Willow must have told him what happened, as far as I can recall she only told Jasmine.  I think he just put two and two together when they had that conversation in front of him at the hospital.  Did she say she now is Head of Emergency?   With Robbo missing again and Mason starting at the hospital  Willow will be running the gym on her own which is a lot to ask.   

Our last week of H&A this coming  week so hope we get some resolutions from current plot.

There was a scene at the start of last week, after Mason cornered Willow at the hospital, where they were chatting by the surf club and it was pretty clear Willow had told him what had happened with Alex.

We've been getting a few sparsely populated episodes lately: Today we only had six regulars and two recurring guests appearing.Seeing Colby and Mackenzie together here, it did feel like she was getting the short end of the stick: Colby gets her to rearrange the roster to spend time together, then drops her like a hot potato as soon as he finds a new drama to concentrate on.I guess Robbo finally gave him that decking for stopping him going after Jasmine: Ironic that Colby was doing things by the book then but is now back to playing cowboy cop and suffered because of it.So, the big question is, what has Robbo done with Dylan Carter? It's hard to imagine he just let him go, so did he kill him or is he still locked in that silo? For that matter, why come back to Summer Bay just to leave without doing anything or telling anyone anything? (He found out where Jasmine is but that was mostly by accident.) Did he just need a change of clothes?

Important steps forward for Ben, as he gets an official diagnosis from Alex, albeit one that he and everyone else had already guessed.Ziggy's had to play the parent quite a few times but here she and Maggie take it in turns to reassure each other.It looks like there isn't going to be a magic solution for any of his problems though.

Another revelation I missed.

It did seem spread out, but maybe we are looking at it like that as we are 'finishing' this week whereas Australia have another week to tie things up? 

Mack is actually dumping Colby when he's not, at the moment, involved in any cop business, he was helping a mate.  Ziggy   told her that is the sort of thing he does, but of course it's Robbo so she's worried the bad guys could turn up again.  Been criticism on the Aus forum about Mack dumping Colby when  they have only been in their relationship a short time but isn't it better now before they both get into too deep?  Bella more or less ordered her to do so.  Some people aren't cut out to be a girlfriend/boyfriend of a cop - they'd be forever fretting every time they walked out of the door which a cop doesn't need. Chelsea was a cop herself so knew what the job entailed.  Jasmine was thrown in the deep end with Robbo re joining the AFP but handled it well.

I think  Robbo keeping quiet so Colby isn't involved in whatever it is he is doing same as going to ring Jasmine, he knew if he told her he was back in the bay she'd want to be there with him and it's not safe yet Victor is still out there. Therefore I don't think that is why Robbo decked Colby, he just doesn't want to talk about that happened.  Hopefully we'll see some sort of resolution by Friday.   Another theory - Victor and his lot could be the  criminal side of the corrupt cops, once they had all been convicted they would have all been up a gum tree, no wrong 'un cops to bail them out etc.  They thought Dylan had died but when they found out he hadn't they maybe thought he'd sell them out. :unsure:

Don't want to be mean but Alex can't be that busy she was able to see Ben just like that!   Of course everyone, including us, have known what is wrong with Ben, but now it's official  and he can get the help he needs.  It was like he said if he didn't say anything it may have gone away.  Maggie did seemed a tad miffed he wanted to take the test on his own, it's something I feel he should have done on his own.   Great the way Maggie and Ziggy took turns in supporting each other.  Although there is now light at the end of the tunnel I fear Ziggy and Maggie are being too optimistic about Ben being OK soon, we did see him tell them he's decided not to take any anti depressants, though he may change his mind, and just rely on talking about it to Alex or maybe Aiden but I can't see him going for group therapy. 

There seemed to be some very poor continuity with the previous episode: Ben was supposed to have made another appointment with Alex to have discuss his treatment options, but suddenly he seems to be deciding on his own what treatment he's going to have. And we were told Dean had the day off to visit Karen, yet suddenly he was supposed to be doing a shift.

Oh, Bella. She's one of those characters that constantly frustrates me and disappoints me, yet I can't quite bring myself to dislike her, because it feels like she's a good person deep down who's been let down and treated badly by just about everyone in her life. She was encouraged to look up to both Colby and Teresa and they both murdered someone out of revenge, her extended family is made up of people who are far too quick to resort to violence, so is it any wonder she thinks this is the best way to resolve things? I may be letting my dislike of Colby colour things, but the more I see him, the more I think Mackenzie's had a lucky escape. So it was frustrating to hear everyone insisting that this wasn't the latest in a long line of stuff-ups and he wasn't to blame. Jasmine wasn't entirely his fault but he did let it go on longer than he should when he didn't like her as much as she wanted him to, Chelsea he kept letting down and she kept making excuses and having everyone tell her what a great guy he is until he finally did something inexcusable, and now he's treated Mackenzie like she should be there at his convenience while prioritising everything but her. And if he's a rubbish boyfriend, he's an even worse brother: Instead of being the grown-up, he sits sulking, passes out drunk and leaves Bella to fend for herself. Sometimes I think she doesn't stand a chance as long as she's with him.I really hope he gets filled in on what's happened, but he's been in both episodes this week so I wouldn't be surprised if he either disappears until the break or gets a third episode with Robbo after Bella's finished for the week.

Elsewhere, Dean did a good job of giving Ben food for thought without making it sound like a lecture and getting him defensive.And I loved the Mason and Willow friendship scenes.It's going to be hard on her though, having to handle things without either Mason or Robbo, and she looks pretty worried at the prospect.

At least this years season break sounds like it will be a proper cliffhanger and not just Leah saying something like no you cant have a break get upstairs and do your homework.......next time on Home and Away. And six weeks later! Lol. Will be a proper Autumn finale ! 

I think Ben did the looking  up about depression and the treatments available off his own back, would have thought Maggie would know it's never a good idea to Google things like meds, it can't be specific just give a very broad spectrum, not saying there won't be side effects, Maggie had them with her meds as did Raffy.  He won't be given that many like Karen was.  If he's never been the kind to take meds, he would be wary and Alex did say it was an option.  Of course one possible side effect - dizziness - may be of an hindrance surfing wise.  I thought Dean did a wonderful job with him, my words exactly Red (food for thought), not nagging or pushing, just telling him what it was like from the other side - he does have his wise moments does Dean, that's why I've always liked him.   It worked though Ben told Alex he would try the anti depressants as well as the therapy.  Not sure if he would  just be able to butt into a conversation like Alex was having with Mason on his first day and she'd just say 'OK,  I'll talk  you to you, you carry on Mason'? We won't be seeing Aiden then as Ben's therapist will be a woman.

Same here Red, I like Bella despite the stupid things she does at times, acts first thinks later, mind you she didn't have any good role models in her life to teach her any different.   Someone has hurt her brother so she wants to hurt them back.  Mack's problem with Colby wasn't him putting his friends first but his job - which is fair enough, said before not everyone is cut out to be a boyfriend or girlfriend of a cop.  Colby, I think, knows that deep down, just didn't help coming straight after Robbo thumped him. Didn't he have  a long period of not getting close to girls/women because he may have to take off to find Bella? We've only seen him with Jasmine, Chelsea and Mack.   Dean could have added as well as the Surf Club which isn't anything to do with Mack, when he was telling Bella off that innocent people would be out of a job if she had succeeded in burning Salt down.   Just what was the flammable fluid Bella was splashing about - couldn't have been petrol because even after Willow had mopped it up it still would have stunk the place out.:unsure:   Best if Colby is told by either Dean or Willow, although no-one else knew things do leak out.  Thought it was a bit of a cheek Willow 'nicking' Irene's insight as to why Bella has taken Mack's dumping Colby so badly, she, Bella, got dumped too at least in her eyes.  It did appear Bella has got over it by saying she wasn't going to waste anymore time on her.

While good news for Mason, loved the family photos so they can send copies to Tori, poor Willow has been well and truly dumped on, not Mason's fault he thought he had a couple of weeks to get things sorted and as usual Robbo is nowhere to be seen. Not surprising she's worried, she's not that long qualified and we don't see that many other trainers, it's going to be a lot to handle on her own.  Hope she doesn't push herself too hard, close the place for a day or so if you need to.

Wonder what game Nina is playing, not telling Brian Ava was with Justin,  even Justin agreed Brian has been a good dad to Ava and doesn't deserve to be treated like that, poor Ava is stuck in the middle, which should never happen, unsure if Justin should keep making promises he may not be able to keep, some things are out of his control.  Are we going to be left with an Ava lost in the outback storyline?

Robbo and Carter are back tonight, will it all be sorted before the end of tomorrow's episode?

So, as I feared, no involvement from Colby. Hopefully that’s to come after the break. And as usual Irene can’t help, because no-one ever bothers to tell her what Bella’s issues actually are, hence all the floundering and thinking she can solve everything by forcing her to do the washing up. Result: Bella’s left with the “Do as I say, not as I do” shower and their unconvincing attempts at moralising. That must have been a heavy duty clean if no-one at Salt smelled the petrol next morning.

Good that Ben’s agreed to follow the doctor’s advice and nice that he went round to thank Dean.

I don’t recall us seeing much of Mason and Ava together before, and we didn’t really get much here. Of course, Ava’s got much bigger problems to worry about. Parents using their children as weapons is never nice, and forcing Ava not to see one of her parental figures is even less nice. It’s ironic that Justin, who never really got on with Brian, is the one defending him while Nina just wanted him out of their lives. Still, their little camping expedition seems to have cheered Ava up, and surprisingly it seems everything’s solved after one phone call!

Well, we now know that Robbo didn’t kill Carter, although it’s not clear what he did with his henchmen. I’m assuming he’s got some sort of plan beyond “Give the bad guys what they want and hope they go away”: It’s unlikely Carter would be so willing to go along with it if he was just being handed over like a sacrificial lamb.

Ryder needs to get himself some better friends than Blake, as he’s in danger of giving into some unwise peer pressure again. Mind you, we do at least get some nuance to Blake as he reflects on his situation at home…although his way of dealing with it is still rather extreme.

Archived