2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I meant to say yesterday that I assume Tommy must have been granted bail at some point: Otherwise, where on earth was his police guard?

Robbo going off the deep end and potentially letting a man die was hard to watch, and it doesn't help when we've got Colby attempting to be the moral voice as Robbo is more accurate than he thinks about what Colby did when his wife was kidnapped.I guess he does get points for taking a better approach with Lenny than Robbo did, but that's only after he's done his usual thing of making the situation worse by covering for a friend instead of doing his job.It was perfectly correct that Robbo blundering into the power plant on his own in the dark would have achieved nothing except causing the kidnappers to run: Even in daylight with back-up, the police came close to missing them.That said, Colby's initial claim that rushing in didn't work last time was rather strange: The problem last time was that they took too long to get to where Jasmine was.I complained last week about the storyline being dragged out, but actually it was sorted in a reasonable amount of time, and the only problem was the usual one of the storyline disappearing for a week until everyone got new episode quotas.As it is, it seems that rescuing Jasmine could be the only win the good guys can claim.

It was nice to see Mason and Willow's friendship put to use, although I was slightly annoyed that it was written as though Mason hardly knows Jasmine when at one point he was closer to her than Willow was.Some good repartee between Alf and John as well, especially when John and Marilyn decide to wind Alf up before his date: "You're killing the moment, Palmer."

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Trudy Heine said:

Who's Teresa? Been away in Europe so couldn't watch these scenes.

Some Militant member of Irene's support group who... "Took matters into her own hands" when it came to Tommy.

10 hours ago, c120701 said:

I posted this in the 5Star thread on Wednesday, but just for the timing:

Today’s episode, Alf told Palmer that his juice would “kill a brown dog” and then I’m just watching episode 43 and he uses the same phrase to Frank about some of the stock at the bottle shop.

Said the same when Karen (Dean) made Blake a protein shake back in '91 and recoiled from the smell!

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 20:12, c120701 said:

Watching 1988 on Amazon Prime has made me wish Ailsa was still around for a reaction to Teresa’s actions and her not showing remorse for killing an abuser.

Her saying Tommy boasted he'd get away with what he had done because he could talk his way out of things reminded me of Evan in Holby City who said the same thing even on what turned out to be on his death bed.

Easier to be the voice of reason when it's not your loved one in danger and he did know of what he spoke and no I'm not forgetting Colby and Jasmine used to be an item.   Would it have been much good calling security when the guy threatening the patient was  a fed and a cop was there too?   Maybe having  a load of cops turning up as back up would have been too disruptive for a hospital?  Robbo did come to his senses when Lenny flat lined and let Alex and her team in.  After all Jasmine's  efforts Lenny's 'mates' left him by the side of the road to die but he was lucky Jasmine did a good job patching him up. Colby's quiet pressure worked a lot better Lenny didn't owe Dez or Fitz  anything.   The difference this time was they had an actual address rather than trying to track down an abandoned building somewhere in the Mango River area. Robbo was thinking with his husbands head  rather than his feds head.  That building was huge he and any feds/cops that had gone with him in the dark wouldn't have stood a chance of finding  anyone.  An overnight kip on the station floor handcuffed to a table was what Robbo needed he was thinking clearer the next day. The combination of feds and local cops - didn't know there were that many at Yabby Creek - were a good team, they worked well together.  Nice to see Murray again, but where is McCarthy?   Jasmine is a gutsy woman put up a fight against Fitz - I think -  and finally managed to get Robbo and Colby's attention, bit puzzled as to why Fitz(?) didn't shoot her when she made that dash to Robbo. :unsure: 

Even if we didn't see her we did a get a mention of Irene, I know we shouldn't be thinking of money but at least now Irene won't lose her home or business.  

We did see in the trailer Alex moves in on Willow for a kiss which she backs off from but I'd been thinking  Willow was a lot more concerned over Jasmine's welfare that your usual girl friend would be - making me wonder is Willow in love with Jas?   Mason just happening to be at the hospital when the Lenny, Robbo, Colby stand off was going down was handy as he was able to fill in Willow. 

Alf did try and keep his date quiet but reckoned without Marilyn cleverly deducing the fact he'd chosen healthy food for the picnic had to mean one thing - he was meeting  up with Martha which he was.  Alf's cancelling the committee meeting came back to bite him on the bum when he tried to get rid of John.:D  Don't know why he bothers to hid the fact, no-one is against him seeing Martha , they're both adults. 

17 hours ago, Trudy Heine said:

Who's Teresa? Been away in Europe so couldn't watch these scenes.

What CaptainHulk said.She was first seen a month or so ago when Leah got members of the support group to record their stories for her blog.

Alf's episode count this week:Four, and he was credited on Wednesday for no appearance.

Not exactly a resounding success for the boys in light and dark blue.The only thing they managed to do was recover Jasmine, and they only did that because she managed to wrench herself free.They don't even manage to catch Des when he runs out of bullets, because they've decided it would be a good idea to leave an exit route unsecured.(How the heck did they miss the getaway vehicle?They didn't all go in the same way or something stupid like that, despite Colby saying they had to wait for the other group, did they?) But oh well, as results go it's not too shabby, and her information means they now have a name for Victor Devlin, last seen threatening Robbo at the wharf.(Any relation to Neive Devlin, the dodgy record producer who set Phoebe up to be raped a few years back?Maybe someone on the writing staff had a high school nemesis called Devlin...) Robbo somewhat belatedly decides that taking Jasmine somewhere safe is more important than chasing the bad guys, and his farewell at his family's grave was rather poignant, as was the way Jasmine seemed to have been as worried about him as she was herself.(I also hope Colby's remembered to arrange protection for Lenny in all the excitement...)Then Robbo gets hit over the head.No point guessing who it might be, because it's in the promo.

Well, it was obvious from the looks she's been shooting her that Alex liked Willow.She seemed pretty embarrassed after the kiss though.I don't think anyone knew she was gay apart from Mason, but it's occurred to me that I don't think Alex necessarily knew Willow was straight.After all, I think she's had a bit of a drought since Justin last year! I don't think Willow's attachment to Jasmine is in any way romantic, it's more of a sisterly relationship.She'd probably be the same if it was Bella or Colby.

Alf eventually managed to pry Martha away from the others long enough to ask her an awkward question.She can't make him get rid of his hat though, that's sacrilege!

At times they make it seem like Martha’s never stepped foot in Summer Bay House before last year. I realise the comment on seeing what Alf’s bedroom looks like could be taken as to what he’s done with it, but presumably Alf’s in the master bedroom now which was his & Martha’s. Even if he’s in the Attic room, Martha will have seen it before.

Well, I was sorry so see Raffy go.  All seemed a bit rushed but the actress is in a film now so I wish her luck for the future.  I was hoping Ryder might have at least tapped it maybe once but never mind.

Irene's facial expression when she first saw Teresa and the realisation that she offed Tommy was hilarious.  I was pleased with Irene's attitude in general, condemning what Teresa did but offering some support and understanding.  Was also good to see Marilyn and Leah criticise her, although I didn't like when Leah said the difference was it was premeditated.  How was Irene hitting Tommy multiple times after the first strike not premeditated?  Which Teresa herself said to Irene later on.

I agree with Teresa's statement that she did what Colby wanted to do and also with Justin that none of them were to blame for Teresa's actions.  Bella actively endorsed the killing and TBH I can't really say I blame her.

I did like the conversation at the police station with Teresa saying "Talking doesn't solve anything" followed by Irene saying "You can't solve violence with more violence".  I would say both statements are true/untrue depending on the circumstances but in this particular case, I don't think Tommy deserved to die.  And receiving multiple stabs wounds would have been quite brutal.

I didn't like Leah sticking her oar in claiming that Teresa had denied justice for the other victims.  Whilst you could argue that is true, the cynic in me seeing things from Bella's side that perhaps from the victims perspective this is a good thing.  Taking all emotion out you could argue this is a result and although it won't seem like that, Irene should be glad this had happened.  If Tommy's dead he can't sue her so she won't lose the Diner.  He won't ever get to do this to anyone else (Not that I agree with that but logically what's done is done).

The episode from Wednesday was very significant in that not only did it show as already mentioned someone who suffered like Irene and had a different path but also rehashed what Colby did to Ross and possible ramifications.  What Bella said to Colby about the advantage of Colby being a copy was absolutely right.

If I was in that guy's position, I would have been bricking it if I was seriously hurt in a hospital bed and Robbo was standing over me threatening me to reveal where Jasmine was.  What Robbo did was stupid and irresponsible although I'm glad it worked out when Colby played good cop and they were able to rescue Jasmine eventually.

So no real surprise that Alex kissed Jasmine.  I wonder if Mason knew that she liked Jasmine specifically when she was asking about her when Jasmine failed to show up for the gym class. I'm guessing this is going to turn out to be a temporary lesbian thing.

After the initial blow over the head with the vase Irene didn't think to herself 'I'm going to hit him over the head with this bottle as many times as I can!'  It was his remark that sparked it so it wasn't premeditated.   Although the other evidence that the cops found on Tommy's laptop couldn't be produced in court whatever the verdict had been he could have been re-arrested after so he has got away with those and all the girls on it won't get justice.

The guys Lenny was working  with had to be a lot scarier than Robbo if he was so reluctant to say anything. Yeah, let's hope the Feds ferret him away somewhere safe, though if there is a mole his location could be leaked.  Little mention of Tori too, she's safe and I'm guessing Penny McNamee is now on maternity leave.

Where did all the Feds and local cops vanish to after Jasmine rescued?  Apart from the two Robbo charged with looking after her  all they had all gone leaving just Colby and Robbo to search for them, then they all turned up again when Dez and Fitz made a run for it, Robbo didn't want them dead, If he could help it, needed them alive to tell the feds what they could.  Was Victor the boss Fitz referred to and was talking to on the phone?   Jasmine held up well giving Colby as much information as she could, but glad they did finally got her to hospital.  I'm guessing his family aren't buried in the cemetery in the bay but near to where they used to live, that was a poignant farewell and he'd decided to and the case over to Lance and the rest of the feds so he and Jasmine could leave the country.   I liked he asked after Scott. He will miss the birth of his and Tori's baby but he's got to watch out for his wife. We got a time line in how long ago his family were killed - four years, we first saw him two years ago so he'd spent the intervening two years  ingratiating himself as the supposed  hit man Beckett Reid.  I suppose it was inevitable he'd been followed nothing is that simple in the bay.  Whether it was Carter himself who whacked  him or one of his minions he does show his face next week with the remark "I hear you've been looking for me".  

I got it wrong Willow didn't back off Alex broke the kiss off, it did surprise Willow though, maybe it'll get her thinking why her relationships with guys has been so rubbish.  Wasn't Mason's place to let anyone know Alex is gay and credit to him for not saying anything.

I wondered that about Martha's remark she would know the house from top to bottom so wouldn't need to check the bedroom though of course she could have meant something different all together. and was just being subtle. :wink::blush:  It seems Alf can bend the house rules to suit him when he likes.   Although I can understand Roo's delight at having her mum back she was being very intrusive and Alf had to finally tell her politely to sod off. 

Archived