2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I was expecting Alex to be an antagonist and am pleasantly surprised to see that she’s not, however it’s been so long since we’ve had a character come in without any immediate sign that they’re hiding something or them stirring the pot and just being a nice, uncomplicated person that I’m almost untrusting of her.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Three.

Well, it's a good job Leah smelt a rat in time to stop Irene doing a runner.It didn't take much persuading, so I guess she was never really that committed to the idea, she just panicked.And yes, she'd be letting Bella down more if she just disappeared.I must admit, I'm pretty confused at Tommy still being in hospital.It feels like months since we last saw him (I check and see that it's six weeks) at which point he seemed well on the way to recovery, I thought the main problem was the head injury and that had obviously cleared up.I guess it explains why there doesn't seem to have been much progress in the case against him, but it makes me wonder if he's somehow still in that same room with the police guard.

Raffy and Ryder made up, possibly a bit too easily in the end but they seem to be making it work so far.I hope Mason gets the credit some time.And they end up double teaming to help Bella:Ironically, that was pretty much exactly what Raffy did when Ryder wouldn't go to school.So Raffy's not been clued in, despite being the first to be suspicious of Tommy, which makes me hope Bella confides in her eventually.I guess I should compliment the show for at least trying to keep track of who knows what and come up with plausible explanations, but it does seem to be relying on people walking around with their eyes closed and not putting two and two together.

A nice way of progressing Ben and Maggie's storyline when Ben's used up his three episodes! I kind of went through the same series of emotions as Maggie, in that I was worried that Ben's absence was him shutting her out or maybe even doing a flit, so that note was both a delight and a relief, showing he actually does like having her around.

I do like that they’re playing a lot of this Irene story off of how long Leah & Irene have been business partners. It’s crazy to think that Irene has now owned the Diner longer than Ailsa did and that by the end of June next year, Leah will have lived in Summer Bay longer than Sally did.

I think the thing with Leah & Irene though is that although we’ve never truly seen any friendship build between them, they were just thrown together by Tasha buying Irene a share of the Diner, then all of a sudden when Dan died they were being treated like family, it’s still believable that they’ve formed this bond (more so now than in 2008).

Suspicious lot aren't we c120701!   Mind you the Astoni's didn't have any deep, dark secrets. 

Ryder did a good job there persuading Bella to go to school - liked his remark about the trial being a doddle compared to going back to school.  He was right none of the kids made any snide remarks so it seems  they don't  know.   Bella stuck it out all day, though she  has dropped her photography course and Raffy was upbeat and didn't have any problems.  But sadly that didn't last, next day she had  a seizure, no warning just collapsed but luckily Ryder was there for her.  He did a good job too covering for Bella when Raffy asked why she wasn't going in that day.  Raffy will be horrified to learn about Bella when she does find out.  Tense night for Irene waiting to find out of the trial was going ahead, but the judge obviously decided delaying it wouldn't help.  It would have been very traumatic for Bells, she'd got herself psyched up to go.   Well a shock appearance by Tommy as seen in the trailer, was it his idea or his lawyers?  Another thought about the negative remarks on the vlog, could one or more have  been posted by him? :unsure:    I can't see how Irene's attack on Tommy was premeditated, after that initial whack over the head she was ready to let him go until he said what he did.

Leah did have her suspicions about Irene but it was Marilyn saying Irene was cleaning the deep fat fryer that confirmed it. Luckily she got there in time though as you pointed out Red she didn't need much persuading to stay.

It probably isn't a good sign that I spent most of the prosecutor's spiel nodding in agreement.Because frankly everything he said was right: If Irene had simply stopped at protecting Bella, there wouldn't be a problem, but she attacked him after the threat was over in a way that was criminal.Not premeditated perhaps, but unnecessary, excessive and with questionable motivation.It went far beyond the use of reasonable force for defence.The argument for finding her not guilty basically amounts to "Irene's lovely and he deserved it." In order to make her seem like the victim, we have the prosecution pulling dirty tricks by bringing Tommy in as an unscheduled surprise witness (the argument for them being allowed to do that was a bit weak) and having him lie on the stand and make Irene's actions seem worse than they were.This might almost ending up counting against them, since if they'd given a true account of what happened, it's hard to say that Irene shouldn't be found guilty.And of course Bella ends up being blindsided by it having gone missing at a crucial moment.Colby did well to get her there, but quickly proves himself a liability by making a bad situation worse and displaying his tendency for vigilante acts that make him more deserving than Irene of being up on charges.It's times like this that his behaviour towards Bella comes across as at best over-protective and at worst controlling.

Meanwhile, Raffy's trying to survive yet another knock.Justin increasingly feels like the most frustrated by events while Mason continues trying to be the calm one.I'm not sure Justin should have accompanied Raffy on her walk when she made it clear she didn't want company but I like him so I don't object too much.Alex again knew just what to say to perk her up and does at least have some sort of plan.

Have to admit, Tommy played a blinder.  Gave an Oscar winning performance.  I did wonder whether he contemplated wearing the same clothes as did on the day this all happened or perhaps winking at Bella in court.  And I found it funny that the guy prosecuting was deliberately portrayed as evil and perhaps on Tommy's payroll, just for doing his job.  I thought all the actors/actresses involved did a really good job upon initially seeing Tommy and his very presence.  I especially liked the part where Colby went for him in court.

Please no.  Please don't let Alex get together with Mason.  Not him.

It is the prosecution's  job to paint the accused - this time Irene - in the worst possible light they can.  The reason why she went beyond using reasonable force argument hasn't been revealed yet.  I always thought Tommy had been left outside the hospital not as the prosecution said 'on a pathway'.:unsure:  Would they be allowed to bring  in such a important witness like that without prior notice?  Was that Irene's lawyer we saw or her barrister or do they double up?   I'm supposing we are going to get proper medical documentation  that Tommy actually has those injuries, neck  brace and asthma or was that a condition he had pre attack.  I know Irene protested when Tommy said Bella invited him in - true but then when onto say she was happy at first to get intimate, then changed her mind, we know she never did any such thing, but Irene wasn't there so can't say what went on. Bella wouldn't have been in court to see Tommy give his evidence  as she is a witness, but in a separate room but if she had been there Leah could have warned her instead of her only finding out when she took the stand.  I think any brother, father, mother would have reacted the way Colby did when he saw Tommy smirking and he did also  hear for the first time what Bella actually went through.   If it had been Willow who had returned home she would have reacted the same way Irene did by whacking him with the vase and I'm not being ageist but she is a lot younger and fitter than Irene and could have hurt him a lot more than Irene did, but I imagine her response to the 'our little secret' comment would have been different, but how what would she have done then?  It seems Bella takes someone else to court instead of Colby, someone she trusts -  I wonder who - Willow, Dean, Ryder?  She will of course have to give her account of what happened in the living room. 

Natural reaction and despite their earlier promise but John, Marilyn, Mason and Justin were all mollycoddling Raffy, until she told them to back off.  Nice that Ryder texted her. Justin did right by going with her whether she wanted him to or not, she could have had another one.  I think Justin seemed a bit put out when he was talking to the others back at the Diner by the fact he'd be usurped by Alex, but no disrespect to Justin or any of them but none of them know what it is like to have epilepsy whereas Alex does.   Raffy did let it slip Mason had tried her on the  illegal cannabis trial which she mentioned to Mason later, could be possible that Mas may be going to NDH if Alex gets her way.  Good friendship developing between Willow and Alex who btw did come across as a bit cagey - did you notice c120701 -  regarding her family,  Willow had opened up about hers - well her one with Colby, Dean and Bella.

On 20/10/2019 at 22:03, c120701 said:

No, but they did stir the pot.

I meant the damage to the Caravan Park and then them buying the Pier complex and wanting to resize the Diner & Bait Shop.

4 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Alex who btw did come across as a bit cagey - did you notice c120701 -  regarding her family,  Willow had opened up about hers - well her one with Colby, Dean and Bella.

Well we now know she’s gay (to use the label she used), but I refuse to class that as a secret and if the issue with her family is due to that then it doesn’t count, that’s back story.

Archived