2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

1 minute ago, c120701 said:

As I said in the 5Star thread... How did the new Doctor saying “I thought she was on paternity leave” in reference to Tori not get noticed by Sam Frost, the Director or any of the crew in studio or in post-production?

It would’ve been easy to dub.

I’ve listened to multiple times on the TV and my phone and there’s a clear P sound in my opinion.

I thought that she said "paternity" too.  Her lips seemed to be saying that.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baby steps with Ben, if any.He met with Maggie but it was all business and he wasn't even willing to make a decision.As ever, it's hard to tell whether leaving him on his own is helping or not.It was interesting that he volunteered to help Alf with the gas canister, as if he wanted to feel useful just for a bit, and Alf continues to be understanding in helping him.Ben coming over for a feed isn't a cure but it helps.I assumed that was Coco on the other end of the phone as well:It sounds like they're keeping things from her.

The ongoing saga of how to help Raffy, er, goes on.Mason continues to be the voice of reason, willing to indulge Marilyn's ideas while Justin was dismissive.It's hard to tell if Raffy's given up or not.Her going swimming seemed like an attempt to try and live again, but at the same time it was practically suicidal.Ironically, it looked like her getting into trouble was nothing to do with her epilepsy, which would probably have resulted in her sinking like a stone.

Today's reused actor watch:Mr Dead Meat was in it a couple of years ago as the guy that spiked Ziggy's drink and indirectly got Brody punched by Ben.It does feel like we've come a long way from Carter being an abusive boyfriend and a dirty cop who was more interested in results that made him look good than the truth, with a tragic back story, to being some sort of psychotic crime lord.I guess he did have minor criminals on his payroll back then.There didn't really seem to be any reason for Robbo and Scott to usher Jasmine out of the hospital:So much for her going back to work.I must admit I thought Alex said "maternity leave", so I guess it is possible to miss it if she said it wrong.A solid debut for her:She seems a no-nonsense character and I share her frustration at people playing cops and robbers in her department.

"Mr Dead Meat" Yes, I'm going to straight to hell for chuckling at that. Sounds like the name of an Adult Swim Cartoon! ?

Jesus, it never rains but it pours with Raffy. If it's not Leah or Irene the writers are chewing on, it's her ?

I don't think I could feel entirely sorry for Carter if that's what they're building to.

That was a good episode (Wed), apart from the Robbo dirge.

I thought John was funny asking who is paying for Jasmine's police bodyguard ?

Alex had some nice scenes.  She managed to get through to Raffy with a talk that should also help viewers in a similar situation.

They seemed to leave it vague as to whether Raffy had suffered a seizure or not: She did seem conscious and lucid at the end of the previous episode, so I'm personally leaning towards not.Alex came across a lot less harsh in context than she did in the promo.Can we keep her? She seemed to build a good working relationship with Jasmine, while her advice to the Morgans and Palmers, and her private chat with Raffy, were done well. (In fact, I think Mason made a similar point not too long ago.) And then we saw a hint of vulnerability in that last scene with Willow, when she admitted she didn't really know anyone in town and also didn't know anything about going to a gym.I can fully sympathise, I've never been to a gym myself!

Irene and Leah at least seem to be being smart and staying within the legal frame of what they can do instead of plastering Irene's version of events over the internet.I'm not sure a judge and jury would be swayed by a few placards though.I thought from the promos that Tommy's lawsuit might be about defamation, but it seems he actually is planning to sue her over the assault, which does at least give Irene a solid reason for pleading not guilty. So is her plan to plead provocation? Because she pretty much confessed!

That was a moving episode. 

I'm glad that Bella was able to tell Ryder what happened to her and then felt able to let him give her a hug.  It was a a step that she needed to take.  I hope what Irene said to her about testifying doesn't set her back again.  (I do think it's odd that Bella hasn't discussed this with Raffy at all - have they even shared a scene since the incident? - although it had to be a male character other than Colby that made Bella comfortable with innocent physical contact again).

I totally get where Leah is coming from, not wanting to agree to Irene signing over the diner for the reasons she gave but I can see both points of view.

I enjoyed Willow's scenes.

"Sleepy  little town" - boy has Alex got a lot to learn!:D  Other new comers have thought that too.   Seeing as we haven't been at the hospital for a while, at least since we last saw Jasmine there, Alex must have been there during that period as she seems to know her way round the place.   It would have nonplussed her having this big beefy cop turn up then another one flashing their ID's at her, practically  taking over the place in true Fed style.  Quite complicated the explanation from Jasmine involving Tori, Alex's predecessor,  one half of the Fed duo being her husband the other one being her bodyguard.  Is  the slaying of Dead Meat or Sean Coulson a message or warning to Robbo?  They are coming more out into the open with that public display of what they can do.  I'm allowing for the fact that the medics were more concerned in saving Coulson's life than properly searching him so that is why Robbo found Sean's mobile with that conversation on.  I couldn't make out all the talk, but from what I could make out he's only been in touch with Carter recently with Carter contacting him - reason why and what Carter is expecting to happen is unclear.  The fact that Sean Coulson had nicked by Carter numerous times but no charges were brought  isn't a great surprise - he was Carter's informer.   Maybe it's taken this  long for Carter to get back to full health.   Until he knows what actually happened on that boat Roobo isn't going to get any further ahead trying to find him. Dr Alex mustn't have been informed by her bosses that there would be a Fed hanging about  - the least know the safer it is perhaps - but now she does and so far is handling it OK as long as there isn't too much disruption it is an AE department after all.

It did look like Raffy was more tired than having a seizure , she hadn't swum for a while so would hit her harder.  I could understand her getting fed up and walking out, everyone seemed to be talking over  her  as if wasn't there.  Acupuncture isn't a proven remedy, a lot of things aren't, it's how the individual patient reacts to it.  Depending on how bad the epilepsy is you can drive. John casting blame - how did she get out there on her own - wasn't helping,  where was he?  May have been just me but Justin looked a bit put out when Raffy came round and the first thing she said was Mason, but I reckon that was because his was the first face she saw. Well done Alex for chucking out Mason, Justin Marilyn and John, she could see they were overwhelming Raffy.  Loved her telling them all they were mollycoddling Raffy and they had to remember she was a 16 year old girl and old enough to  make her own decisions. A hint, confirmed later that she knew how Raffy felt, she told Raffy she was epileptic, may be a different type, but still suffered and I suppose still does suffers seizures.   We haven't seen Raffy looking so positive for ages, finally someone who understands.  Alex was interested re the CBD oil trials but she herself suggested alternative remedies, just like Maz did which vindicated her ides which Justin poo pooed, but she would need to ensure they didn't clash with what she is already taking.

Dr. Alex must have been really busy these past weeks if she hasn't had time to get to know anyone,  does she have her own place or is she at 'our' favourite motel? 

Had to happen just as Irene was getting good news with her support groups and feeling optimistic , she gets the bombshell Tommy is planning to sue her for assault, which to be brutally honest she did though it was in defence of someone else.

Ben did make the first move in offering to help Alf and he didn't turn down Alf's offer of tucker.  He met up with Maggie in the open but he's not in the right mind set to make any rational decision especially  something  as important as selling the pier.

Irene signing over her half of the Diner to Leah isn’t that simple, as it would be classed as a gift it would be subject to tax. She’d actually be better to sell it to Leah for a dollar or something.

The court could also trace the transfer and challenge it, likewise if Irene did the same with her house to the kids.

I’m wondering it what will happen is that Irene will need to sell the house and Leah buys a share in that, then moves in there.

I know that I've been silent lately, given how busy I am this year, but I'm giving an update on my thoughts now. Shocked to see Ben arrested, especially since to us viewers it's clear as daylights that he's innocent. I hope he escapes this, as well as the black hole he's falling into. That said, frankly I am very impressed with how the show took this storyline. It's been done very delicately and realistic, with Ben feeling abandoned and hopeless. Some real great acting from Rohan recently. I feel really sorry for him, though I am glad that his family (Even if Maggie has been pushing it at times) and the rest of the community from Alf to Ryder is doing their best to have his back, even if we do have to deal with John's rather brash statements. Meanwhile, it's good to see Mackenzie and Dean actually trying to be siblings, while my sympathy went switching between Dean with Colby and Mackenzie going behind his back (Colby didn't really prove himself here with either of them), and then to Mackenzie, who I felt did mean well but had to deal with Dean's cold attitude a lot of the time. 

Meanwhile, Ryder and Raffy split up. I felt rather sad at this, and also I just didn't think it was needed. Raffy may have been a bit needy these past few weeks, but Ryder needed to put more in the relationship as well, yet the way he treated Raffy here was hard for me to support him. Also, while it's good that they'll (hopefully) remain friends, it's just mirroring Ryder and Coco, in my opinion. These past few weeks have not been good to Raffy, haven't they? I am surprised at Justin wanting to start the cannabis trial again on his own (considering how much grief he gave Mason over it). And even her attempt to try and live with her condition ended up with her being worst. Thank God for Dr Alex, who actually gave her some really good advice about living with epilepsy, as well as making sure that John, Marilyn and the Morgans don't coddle her. She's really made a good impression on me, especially with her conversations with Jasmine about responsibility in the hospital, and I hope that this will start a brighter chapter for Raffy. 

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I found that Justin was very unfair to Robbo those couple of weeks ago, blaming Robbo for Tori's position. I mean, Robbo ought to remind him that it was Tori who went behind everyone's back to get pregnant and ignored all of Justin's advice: it's her own fault that she's in this mess, now Tori has to deal with it. I know he's worried, but Justin calling out Robbo is unfair and not true. Also, the way he's putting it, Robbo and Jasmine just abandoned Tori in the middle of nowhere, when she's at a safe house with a federal agent protecting her, who would be able to call on medical assistance if something happens with the baby. They've done more than enough for Tori, they aren't her personal carers. That said though, I don't think Robbo did such a great job with Jasmine either, and I feel more sympathy for Jasmine than anyone else here. As I said before, Jasmine has no idea how this whole thing works, and Robbo didn't really do a good job with properly explaining to her how and why she can't do certain things. And now Robbo's going off on his own, taking unnecessary dangerous risks or just going to the pub whenever he wants, leaving her in the loop, which definitely is one of the worst ideas he could think of, especially given her history. And the other problem I have is the same one that's been said throughout all the forums, is how incredibly confusing and dragged out this story has become. I mean some criminals we have never knew before or their connection with Robbo shows up, takes him to a hidden hideout, question him about Dylan Carter (thought I will say this, I am looking forward to getting some answers about that crooked cop. What can I say, I'm a simple man), then leaves him in the middle of nowhere unconscious in a boat? I mean, that's just one problem among others. Though at least thanks to Coulson (the dead criminal, not the Agent of Shield) Robbo and the Feds now know that Carter's alive and are trying to put the pieces together. I just hope Robbo doesn't pull a Colby and throw his life away just to get revenge. And that this will end soon. 

Now, the one that has caught most of my emotional attention: Irene and Bella. I feel like Irene turning herself in was the right thing to do, just for the sake of revealing Tommy for who he is and to rid herself of the guilt and trauma, though it is really distressing to see her still emotionally suffering and that a disgusting low-life Tommy is finding more ways even now to mess up her life. I am glad that Bella is finally getting some form of counselling in the form of Irene's support group, and that she has the support of her family (yes even Colby), but sadly she's still affected by it all, seen with her outbursts. It's just horrible to see her having to suffer like this, at her age. I liked the sister support from Willow and Bella with Ryder today really brought tears to my eyes, it was so wonderful that she was able to confide with him and that he asked if he could hug her, just to make her feel comfortable and safe. And some incredible acting from Lynne these past few weeks, particularly with her video explaining her past and what she did. However, I didn't like that now Bella's going to have to testify. I liked that Irene previously wanted to keep her away from that at all, and was even prepared to sell her share of the Diner to protect Leah and the others, which I'd really admire. Frankly, I think Leah should have just took it; it would have meant less hassle for Irene and there wouldn't be as much pressure on Bella now. Leah's really been a supporting friend, even if I felt like previously she had no right to tell Justin about Irene's past, and that at times her and Marilyn have been meddling, but I didn't feel like she was doing right by Irene here, even if she was being optimistic about her chances. Now Colby: I will admit I did feel a lot of sympathy for him at the start, finding out what happened to Bella, and despite his anger, I felt like he really controlled himself well when he arrested Tommy. And I'm happy to admit, he is trying to be there for Bella, and feels guilty that he doesn't. And then he goes off contemplating murder again like it's the normal for him, even after reassuring Bella that murderous rage wasn't part of him, and goes threatens Ryder for a misunderstanding and I'm left with Wow, why did I think he'd be a good cop again? Ugh. 

Also on a sidenote, Willow mentioning being shot and the after effects, why couldn't we get a storyline about that? That would have been so interesting, and original, because I feel like PTSD hasn't been really shown on the show before. 

It felt like Bella had slid back a bit, given that she was comfortable with Ryder touching her last week, but that's realistic: It's not going to be a binary case of a switch being flicked and her being okay with physical contact, it depends on how she's feeling at the time.Ryder helping her did underline just how wrong Colby was about him last week, although I guess I should give him his due for recognising that and apologising here. I thought at one point that we were just going to cut to the aftermath of their conversation so I'm glad we saw Bella telling Ryder and her letting him hug her was a sweet moment.I don't know if they're being set up as a future couple or, as was suggested here, a younger (and hopefully more law-abiding) version of Colby and Willow.I'd be fine with either because I do really like their bond.(And, frankly, Ryder and Raffy stuffed up a good friendship by dating, so it might be safer for them to stay platonic.)

I could see both Irene and Leah's point of view.Irene's being practical and trying to stop Tommy getting his hands on things.(I think we need to ignore how the law would work in real life, given that Irene's got her fictional lawyer acting as though it's an option.) Leah doesn't want to take advantage and thinks agreeing to it is giving up and saying Irene will be found guilty.But on the whole, I'm leaning towards Irene's point of view and think Leah's being rather naïve.There's a big difference between thinking Irene's guilty and thinking she might be found guilty, and Irene even pointed to the fact that the similarly innocent Ben has lost his business. So while Leah thinks she's supporting Irene, it would give her more of a safety net to sign it over and then sign it back if things go the way they hope.In fact, I'd laugh myself silly if Irene just turns around and signs it over to Olivia or someone. Meanwhile, I'm actually glad Irene's gone to the organ grinder instead of the monkey and spoken to Bella about testifying behind Colby's back.She shouldn't pressure her too much but Bella needs to know the facts rather than being led to believe that Irene will be fine without her.(She would, after all, feel pretty bad if Irene lost everything and ended up in jail because she didn't speak up.)

(I should probably add that, yes, I definitely gushed over Mason's name being the first thing Raffy said when she came round.He's so her favourite.)

Archived