2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alf's episode count this week:Four.

Ben's "up" period didn't last very long, as a very minor frustration sent him off the deep end.It's interesting how the show's suddenly writing John as sensible rather than his usual portrayal as a buffoon, with him bringing things under control and giving Maggie some pertinent advice.I can see Maggie was frustrated but an ultimatum really wasn't the best way to handle it.Then again, maybe this moves Ben a bit closer to rock bottom.

Mason does suddenly seem to have matured somewhat, as indicated by his continuing resolve to help Raffy legally.She did at least feel bad about lashing out but it remains to be seen whether Mason and Marilyn are giving her false hope.My favourite moment of the episode was Mason silently handing Robbo a towel during his workout: It managed to be both funny and sweet at the same time.For what it's worth, I don't think Jasmine looked in the box.(The file on Dylan was elsewhere and from what Robbo said about it when Bella nearly looked, I think she'd be a lot freaked out if she had done.)Robbo's hitting dead ends and a bluff might not be the best way to go.

CURS: Why did we get all that stuff with Jasmine when she wasn't in the episode and was only mentioned once in passing?

Character evolution, We're all used to seeing Palmer play the clown but him being the voice of reason is a nice change.

If Ben did that to a surfboard, imagine what he'd do to a *person*. Mags was at her wits end and had little option, Not saying Ben is a wifebasher but things could have easily gone that way on another show (looking in the direction of Squares in East London or Villages in Yorkshire) or with a different writing team. Maybe space will give them time.

I thought Robbo would have ended up kicking seven bells out of the heavy bag.

Was thinking during the Raffy scene "Maz has her HSC despite getting it later in life! And the diner isn't the be all and end all for her!" But I understand her frustration

I know that we are talking about a tv show here, so normal rules don't apply but would they really let Jasmine, who is under 24 hour police protection because of the threat to her life, go back to work in a hospital, even with said police protection?

It's just another element to this whole silly saga that I'm finding hard to swallow.

The rest of the recent episodes have been good though, with Ryder doing the right thing by Bella, even though it was indirectly his fault she got drunk. 

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:28, c120701 said:

Yes, it was.

We haven't had scenes of them drinking/eating on the veranda either.

Making surfboards is Ben's expertise so no wonder he smashed the board up thinking it was rubbish, though Ziggy said all she did was fall off it. It really scared her, she's never seen him act like that before. Lucky John came along at the right time and he was sensible and sensitive, he didn't tell Ben to man up or get a grip. Better him smashing a board rather than a person, similar to Robbo knocking seven bells out of the punch bag.  He broke down when he got home and was alone but not ready to admit there is a real problem.  Maybe Maggie is trying a spot of tough love, she's tried everything else. Ben wasn't receptive to Alf's offer of help, but Alf will keep an eye out for him.

We saw Kat's photo on Robbo's whiteboard and she, sort of, got a mention when Robbo asked Leah if Ash would remember anything about Carter which would help him now.  I had had the same thought.  I can see why Leah thought why would Ash would want to help Robbo after all that happened between the three of them, but I thought Ash and Robbo had make a kind of peace when Ash left. Ash had got arrested by Carter when Charlotte was murdered, then he and Kat were held hostage by him.   That was mainly because Carter was jealous of Kat and Ash being together. Once again, the chance to ask Morag was overlooked. She knew Carter very well and had had dealings with him and his dad  who'd got Carter out of trouble  before.  She did inform Kat of Carter's illegal dealings.  I was somewhat puzzled though, I thought Victor told Robbo he had one  week to find Carter, but when Robbo was talking to Justin at Salt he said he didn't have a deadline. :unsure:   Why now  after two years do this gang or rather their bosses  think Carter is alive, has someone seen him? If only Robbo could remember what happened on the boat.

Everyone wants to help Raffy and are offering all sorts of solutions but she's just seeing the negatives at the moment, I'm pleased she did apologise to everyone she'd upset.  It has to be devastating to think all your dreams will come to nothing.

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 09:56, CaptainHulk said:

If Ben did that to a surfboard, imagine what he'd do to a *person*.

I'm not really seeing any link between smashing up an inanimate object and actually harming someone.In a sense it's good that if Ben does need that sort of release then that's how he does it.

Not that he doesn't need help of course, but he can't be forced.Letting him sit around the caravan park all day isn't a long term solution but hopefully he'll start to let people in.Ziggy was there offering help and even Alf. But then it's not going to be as simple as going home and talking things through.Maggie's keeping her distance even though it's obviously killing her:Maybe she feels she'd do more harm than good.

Elsewhere, Robbo tries a dangerous bluff that completely fails to work.The byplay between Dean and Mackenzie livened things up.Still, given that our mysterious Them seem to have decided that Robbo's no use to them, wouldn't the smart thing be to leave him alone?Okay, Robbo's probably freaked out by those photos of Jasmine but it's hardly red alert, especially when they seem to be taking it out on some other anonymous guy as he speaks.I'm guessing that Robbo didn't tell Justin about the deadline because he didn't want to freak him out.

I'm guessing that was Coco Maggie was talking to on the phone even if her name wasn't mentioned.  It's good Ziggy hasn't given up on him, but maybe time on his own for now is just what Ben needs, He's got Alf and Roo watching out for him without being too obtrusive and there's Dean.  I understand Alf and Roo not saying anything to Maggie that he was at the park, it wasn't their place to say  but Dean wasn't under that constraint.

Heavy No. 1 was actually pretty smart sussing out Robbo had doctored Dylan's autopsy.  Robbo's bluff didn't work but he had to give it a shot, No.1 Heavy did acknowledge Robb really did believe Carter was dead. I liked how Dean was hovering, even discreetly, in the background, keeping an eye on things, he knows thugs after all and as he said to Mac he could tell the vibes.  I think he - Heavy - missed an opportunity by passing up on Robbo's offer, they tell him how they got the intel Carter was alive and he'd use his resources to track him down, maybe that decision was outside his remit. What did Heavy No. 3 do to deserve getting the snake design carved into his chest? Warning to Robbo that they hadn't finished with him?   As for the photos of Jasmine, OK they are watching her, but even they aren't that stupid to try anything in such a public place with Scott around, probably just letting Robbo know they are close by.

Nice scenes on the beach between Dean and Mac teasing each other like brother and sister should, Dean opened up a bit more to Mac about his past and how meeting Ziggy had changed him. Not too much we hope, I kind of like his wild, reckless side.  Apart from us knowing from her how life was for her after Rick left, but not much else, did she have many friends, what was she school life like.

The new doctor (Alex) looked as bewildered as the rest of us at what is going on in "this sleepy little town".  She was quite right to point out that Jasmine's presence could be detrimental to staff and patients.

Ben is still struggling but at least he went with Alf to cook the fish.  The NHS in the UK has just launched a campaign called Every Mind Matters.  I have posted the link in the Support Group thread.

As I said in the 5Star thread... How did the new Doctor saying “I thought she was on paternity leave” in reference to Tori not get noticed by Sam Frost, the Director or any of the crew in studio or in post-production?

It would’ve been easy to dub.

I’ve listened to multiple times on the TV and my phone and there’s a clear P sound in my opinion.

Archived