2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I'm a little bemused that Bella suddenly became so traumatised after Irene's vlog, when she seemed so together after the incident. Was it an intended delayed reaction, or just badly written?

Shame that Dean didn't want to wear the uniform. I think he would've looked really cute in it.

Is Mac jealous of his friendships?

Ben is not in a good place.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, baywatcher said:

I'm a little bemused that Bella suddenly became so traumatised after Irene's vlog, when she seemed so together after the incident. Was it an intended delayed reaction, or just badly written?

Shame that Dean didn't want to wear the uniform. I think he would've looked really cute in it.

Is Mac jealous of his friendships?

Ben is not in a good place.

That's pretty much how I have felt about Irene for a awhile delayed reaction I haven't believed her story really 

I did speculate on the reasons for Bella's delayed reaction yesterday, that she was having to face up to what had happened rather than cover it up, plus yes, Irene's vlog was probably very confronting and left her with a strong feeling of what could have been. Anyway, it seems she's come out the other side again.As I speculated a while back, Ziggy being with Dean has caused her to gain a surrogate sister rather than lose a surrogate brother, and she and Willow did a decent job of looking out for Bella here.Interesting that Ryder was the first person Willow thought of when telling Bella there are decent guys out there.Rare use of the word rape by Irene, albeit only in general terms.

Dean refusing to wear the uniform wasn't really fair, especially if he's going to turn up to work in his boardies and singlet.His talking about Angelo's as if he was there all the time during the Braxton Era raises all sorts of questions that we were better off putting to bed: Are we meant to assume he was just off camera whenever the River Boys rocked up in town, and that he didn't make any sort of impression on the locals until he started appearing on screen? (Angelo's did do deliveries, for the record.Also, they did seem to have a uniform of sorts, albeit not a very elaborate one.) It obviously hurt Mackenzie that Dean was willing to talk with just about anyone other than her.After what she went through with Rick, she was probably hoping to have a family member that actually gave a damn about her, but she doesn't seem to be on his list of priorities.

Ben seems to be becoming more and more withdrawn as he's left with nothing except his family, who are doing their best but don't really get it.Ziggy, who didn't handle things too badly at first, was pretty insensitive when she accused him of slacking off (although it was probably best for Bella's sake that he wasn't around).

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:17, baywatcher said:

Really enjoyed the Willow, Dean & Colby scenes. I think it's nice that they are a family unit without it being biological.

Same and add Ziggy/Mac into that unit too.  I'm loving the Ziggy/Willow friendship also, it works so much better than Willow being friends with Jasmine.

RE what is going on with Ben.. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for him eventually and that he gets the help/support he needs.  I feel sorry for Ben, but at the same time it must be frustrating for Maggie and Ziggy because they mean well and are trying their best to reason and help him, but everything they seem to do is deemed wrong to him, so they're left bewildered and left thinking how can we get through to him?

It also occurred to me that Mac is jealous of Dean's friendship with Willow and Bella, Ziggy is his girlfriend so maybe not so much an issue. She, understandably didn't have a relationship with her other half brother and sister, so was hoping for one with Dean, but he seems to be more than happy with his non-biological family.  Though he has known them a lot longer than he has her, they know his history,  Ziggy is only just picking up on that, whereas she hasn't a clue about his early years. or he hers.  Hope it gets sorted, they'd be a good team.

He wouldn't agree but isn't what Dean mostly wears a kind of uniform?  Not as if Salt's is that formal, but maybe it's because he had to wear one inside.  Dean definitely wasn't in the Bay when the Braxton's run Angelo's,  It's been three years since then, but being a RB he'd know them, did they do deliveries as far as Mango River? Casey was a delivery guy as was VJ I think. If Brax had said you wore an uniform you wore one!!  Don't know why he was so defensive when Mac was asking perfectly reasonable questions about how the delivery service worked when the Braxon's were there.  Thought there would be a problem  as course  Dean wouldn't have a RSA, he's never needed one, it does reduce him to cleaning tables, delivering drinks to tables, serving soft ones, coffees, meals.

Why do TPTB do  that, show a snippet of a scene then not show it in full in the episode? It is early, 6pm, but they could give the usual warning before.  I think like you Red it was now out there though she hasn't been named that's got Bella out of shape, before it was just her, Irene, Colby and the cops.  Did she know Leah knew beforehand?  Dean was obviously nowhere near a pc/laptop when Irene's vlog was broadcast if this is the first he's heard of it no wonder he was so shocked by Bella's reaction to him touching her shoulder, he's known her since she was a baby and they've shared plenty of hugs before now.  Natural, for Dean, reaction  - where is he, let me at him!!!!  Then later he told Colby not to do anything stupid, not to worry Colby Tommy can have an 'accident' inside without your help once the other cons know what he's in for. Good advice from Willow that what Bella needed now wasn't a big brother but  a big sister.  Her and Ziggy did manage to get her to finally say what was really bothering her and they convinced her it wasn't her fault but wisely didn't say she hadn't been the only one, that would have been revealing police information.  Wouldn't have made her feel any better  that she was lucky that Irene stopped him from going further where as other girls likely hadn't been. They got her laughing about their first kisses - Willow's was with Colby! Mock horror from Bella - "You kissed my brother!" Her teasing of Dean at Salt was the Bella before Tommy.

Marilyn telling Irene how Bella seems to have turned a corner and gently saying perhaps it's now time for her to get help appeared to have worked, maybe this time she will go ahead. Will she ask for a woman counsellor or will she get someone we've met before?

Colby's pep talk to Robbo worked as he went back to the motel and he and  Jasmine talked properly - definitely takeaways from now on.  Maybe Robbo needs some fresh eyes to look over the case.

I do feel for Ben, he's lost all purpose, he used to be so positive even when things weren't going well, even a small thing like the mower running out of petrol  seemed like a disaster.  Wouldn't have helped his mood to see Dean working at Salt, then Justin & Leah were going back to work which darkened his mood even more.    I know Maggie is trying to see the up side, but innocent people do go to prison.  

So with a bit of prompting from Ziggy, Dean works out what's wrong with Mackenzie and discovers how much she's sacrificed to be with him.Mackenzie was a bit unco-operative with his initial attempts to get to know her, although the social media stalking wasn't the best idea.Letting her join him in what she likes doing was a sensible way of handling things and Mackenzie seemed to go along with it quite willingly in the end.

I wouldn't have considered "So you didn't get the mower petrol but you had time to have a drink at Salt?" an innocent question so much as an accusation, but otherwise Maggie and Ziggy didn't really do anything wrong here, it's just Ben seems to have very little drive or self-esteem and is permanently on the defensive.I'm not sure if Alf's talk to him did any good but it gave Alf a bit of an insight.

Ryder needs to back off (and did somewhat by waiting outside the Diner): Raffy's said she doesn't want to be friends so he should give her some space to deal with that instead of trying to charm his way back in.Of course, there's another crisis on the horizon for Raffy (she really doesn't seem to be able to catch a break), so she might find that an ex-boyfriend is just the friend she needs.I will say again that the show is doing a decent job of involving both the Morgans and the Palmers in this.

9 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Did she know Leah knew beforehand?

Bella was still at the police station when Leah turned up to support Irene, and we've seen them together at the beach house when it was being discussed plenty of times, so yes.

So the school is still there and hasn't shifted to another dimension.  It's been months since we saw it.  I guess the set will be even more redundant when there is only Bella at school.

I get that Raffy is hurt that Ryder broke up with her and embarrassed that she tried to kiss him but being horrible to him just makes her come across as unlikeable.

I really liked Alf's chat with Ben and his advice to Maggie that Ben just needs to work through his in his own way and time.

Mac is a contradiction.  Her social media shows her as the life and soul of the party but she is lonely.  It was nice to see Dean make the effort to get to know her better.

Don't forget baywatcher - it has been the school holidays. Plenty of other pupils but only two teachers - Roo & Maggie!

Raffy is taking attack is the best form of defence with Ryder, for her it's too soon to be friends like they used to be. She  would have come round but it could be sooner than later because of the news about her CBD oil treatment being cancelled, Ryder will be there her like a shot, just because he doesn't love her as a  girlfriend anymore, he still loves her as a friend.   I get Justin was angry but the people operating the trial must feel gutted that they are unable to carry on because their funds have been stopped, Mason was a lot calmer about it than expected.  Small point but why would Tori be the one they were trying to get in touch with Justin is head of the family.:unsure:  I did notice it was the Morgan's the hospital or whoever had as point of contact and not the Palmers.  It cut away when Raffy went off back to school - did Justin fill in John and Maz then? 

Not really stalking, Mac's social media page was up there for all to see and it did give Ziggy and Dean an insight on Mac's previous life. Ziggy worked out she was lonely, but  hadn't let on, how was Dean meant to know, something else they have in common. She had had a busy life, seemingly lots of friends, though I must ask where are they now, none of them have come to see and celebrate her new business or her new home be a lovely  break for them I would have thought - so just weekend friends then.  She did say she didn't want to go home as it was too quiet there and after a few false starts Dean did get there - Dean hiking - yeah. :lol:  Dean & Ziggy got her to try surfing again, this time from the beginning because it's Dean's thing  and something she could like.

That did sound like a dig from Maggie and I can see Dean meant well by giving Ben his tip back but it just made him feel even smaller.  That will make it real when Ben sees the For Sale board. He wasn't receptive to Alf's talk and did take Alf's offer there  were jobs to be done at the Caravan Park as treating him as a charity case which isn't Alf's way, Alf doesn't need to pay him, there are always jobs to be done at the park.  When Ben first arrived in the bay he 'paid' off the damage he did to the water tank by fixing it and other jobs. Plenty of other guys who have pitched up in the bay have worked at the park  to 'pay' for their van - Robbo being another one. Despite Roo's pep talk I think it will take a little longer this time for Ben to bounce back.

Not a spoiler as we saw it - but it seems the mystery of the latest campaign against is stepping up a pace - a new message - and him driving off somewhere.  Going back a day - there didn't seem to be any ban on Jasmine ringing Irene to ask if she had seen Robbo, are the AFP assuming a motel phone wouldn't be able to be tracked?

TBH wasn't sorry to see that Robbo and Jasmin didn't feature in yesterdays episode, I'm finding their storyline a bit tedious not helped by a wooden script and stilted acting. Liking the rest of the unfolding relationships though, especially Ryder and Raffy who are a likeable pair, hope Raffy stays friends once she gets over her wounded pride. Feel sorry for Ben, Summer Bay police need to get their finger out and find the crime, surely it's impossible not to leave a trail these days. Not sure Dean is going to gain much by getting to know his step sister, she appears to have issues and Dean likes simple life. I notice it didn't take H&A long to get Mac in a bikini - initiation complete lol.

Alf's episode count this week:Three, and he was credited on Wednesday and Friday for no appearance.Tori managed her now customary single appearance.

It is interesting that the positions have almost reversed, with Justin running around determined to get Raffy on a trial and Mason being the more relaxed one, including stopping Raffy being given false hope.The former is understandable now it's been proved effective, the latter perhaps less so except that maybe, as we saw the other week, Mason's realised that he's the only one left to stop Justin losing it.Tori probably couldn't have done more if she'd been there in person and Leah did the supportive girlfriend thing well.Ryder's also handling the separation well: As much as we like him, it is unreasonable for him to dump Raffy and then expect her to want to be friends with him.

Maggie did a good job at giving Ben space, not putting pressure on him but guiding him in certain directions.It's an uphill struggle though, and his small victory with the mower seems to have made little change to his self-esteem.There could be a long road ahead here.

Talking of long roads, Robbo's still getting sinister messages although at least they're leading somewhere now.It was an interesting character moment that he didn't care what Justin wanted until he found out Raffy was affected.I don't think their being at the motel is meant to be a secret (and it clearly isn't if he's getting messages left in his car!), Robbo even said to leave a marked car outside so people would know.

Archived