2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss was about with the Salt renovations: I can't say I noticed any difference, although I'm sure someone will now post photos showing how different it is... So is Mackenzie planning to come back after sneaking off with Colby? Did she actually tell any of the staff she was leaving? Who exactly is meant to close up, Ryder?

Good to see Lance again.Jasmine's tears seemed like a rather abrupt turnaround: Not too long ago it seemed like all the guests were from Jasmine's side and all Robbo had were Lance and his parents.And now she says there's no-one for her? I get that her mother's dead and her father's disappeared but couldn't she invite her foster parents? Does she really have no old friends? (I guess there really was no-one bothered when she was in a coma!)

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mac was right Rick isn't as smart as he thinks he is, he certainly read Ziggy wrong, I think he expected her to be swayed by his flash yacht and lifestyle which he hinted if Dean was on his side he could be part of.  Her being scammed antenna was working well. Neither Dean or Ziggy were impressed but covered it well.  Rick was definitely playing Dean, that smirk we saw when he overheard Dean & Ziggy talking said it all, he got ahead of himself by telling Mac he'd won. Ziggy played it very smart by secretly phoning Ben and getting him to phone back so she could pretend Ben needed Dean back at work.  I suppose it's best Dean finds out now what Rick is capable of than further down the line, but he did get to know a little more about him though Dean isn't stupid. We, in turn, found out more about Dean, unless I missed it I wasn't aware Dean was up for a AFL scholarship which I'm guessing ended when he had that accident then ended up in prison. Mac, although initially she lied to Dean has come clean to him now so no surprise Dean has decided to side with her and go along with her plans.  Rick is in for hell of a shock - oh dear, what a pity, never mind. As an aside where is his 'new' wife and family while all this is going on, is she waiting dutifully at home for him?   Hopefully Mac & Dean will keep Karen out of it as much as they can.  Nice to see Colby was there for both Dean & Mac.

I'm glad Ava opened up to Justin at last, poor kid, holding all that in, probably so as not to upset Nina, she was certainly more relaxed after she is only 12.  Explains why she wanted Justin to herself, but it was good seeing Leah, Justin & Ava having so much fun on the beach and them thrashing Justin at footie.  Brian had been in Ava's life since she was about two(?) when Justin had to go in WP, he and Nina weren't together at the time so not clear how much of her he saw back then.  It was Brian wanting a baby and Nina not that split them up,  hence Ava's reaction about the baby jokes. Since he came out of WP Nina has been wary about letting him see her, justifiably at the beginning, though he would never knowingly put her in danger but her getting kidnapped didn't help that it never seems Ava is safe in the bay. Hope the arrangement works out and good that Ava has been included. Ava discovered Justin was her dad and she ran away from home to see him in the bay when she had overheard Nina and Brian arguing about him.  She may have had a memory of him even  if she was only very young when he had to leave. 

I'm not liking the new refurb, all couches it looked like where the benched open alcoves were and some easy chairs where we saw lance and Robbo sitting. Be nice to see it in daylight though.  How is she going to pay for it if Rick isn't paying up, waiting for an advance on her story?

Lovely thing for Colby to do planning the surprise party for Jasmine & Robbo, I saw that little smile he gave when Robbo said he was just going to take Jasmine out for dinner and thought 'he's up to something'.  Great he managed to track Lance down, obviously not on a job, Robbo was chuffed to see him.  I'm glad Jasmine stopped trying to be Superwoman and let Willow help her and yeh Irene's back just in time for the wedding.  Must have been a bit weird for Colby seeing Jasmine & Robbo so happy when a few months before it was him & Chelsea.

Most of Jasmine's friends are new like Robbo's, but he will have Lance an old friend and his mum and dad whereas Jasmine doesn't seem to have any 'old' friends.  I wondered about her foster parents, have they lost touch, I believe they were overseas when she had her accident. Nice little back reference from Marilyn when she commented on how much Robbo had changed since he first came to the bay - wow that was two years ago!  I do remember her giving him a good look over a couple of times. Lance & Robbo have a nice relationship, joking with each other and how lucky Robbo has been with women and getting two stunners, sorry if that sounds sexist, interested in him and does Jasmine have a friend?:wink:

Good on Ryder for getting his pass so he can work in Salt, though Mac did rather throw him in at the deep end at short notice.  A touch more training would have been in order me thinks looking at how drinks are mixed on line are one thing but actually doing it is another.   Fingers crossed it works out otherwise his quitting the juice bar may have been a bad idea.  

19 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

I'm not quite sure what all the fuss was about with the Salt renovations: I can't say I noticed any difference, although I'm sure someone will now post photos showing how different it is... So is Mackenzie planning to come back after sneaking off with Colby? Did she actually tell any of the staff she was leaving? Who exactly is meant to close up, Ryder?

Good to see Lance again.Jasmine's tears seemed like a rather abrupt turnaround: Not too long ago it seemed like all the guests were from Jasmine's side and all Robbo had were Lance and his parents.And now she says there's no-one for her? I get that her mother's dead and her father's disappeared but couldn't she invite her foster parents? Does she really have no old friends? (I guess there really was no-one bothered when she was in a coma!)

Salt looks completely different, it has more of a bar vibe now and I like that it has a much clearer  identity rather than looking not too different from the Diner before.

I forgot about Jasmine’s coma backstory. I was waiting for Irene to say “Willow & I are your family” and thought it was really out of character that she didn’t, but it’s another case of characters being written to suit the story.

10 hours ago, H&Alover said:

We, in turn, found out more about Dean, unless I missed it I wasn't aware Dean was up for a AFL scholarship which I'm guessing ended when he had that accident then ended up in prison.

We were told that very early on, it was one of the reasons Willow was angry with Colby when he first showed up.

4 hours ago, c120701 said:

Salt looks completely different, it has more of a bar vibe now and I like that it has a much clearer  identity rather than looking not too different from the Diner before.

I guess there's that lounge area there now but otherwise the bar, balcony and alcoves on the far wall seem unchanged. Given that it's apparently still a restaurant, I'm not sure what the point of that is, it doesn't seem like a very effective eating area.For relaxed drinkers, I guess?

Well, Robbo cottoned on to Jasmine's upset eventually with a bit of nudging from Lance.It felt like the episode was trying to trick us into thinking Mason and Willow had got intimate (which I think would be the first action either of them's had all year!) but it was obvious they were playing a practical joke on Robbo, with all that checking he'd be at work the next day.Ryder was a bit overzealous turning Raffy away from the bar (as she said, John and Marilyn were right there) but I guess he's getting used to it and didn't want to mess up.(Did Mackenzie ever come back?)Not sure why John was suddenly begging Ryder to come back one day after giving him hardly any shifts.Was it just a moment's panic because he couldn't rearrange again or does he rely on Ryder doing extra shifts?

Bella has gone screaming across the safety line by now, giving Tommy her address and telephone number (although it seems she did at least get his number in return this time?) and arranging to meet him, sort-of in public but without any real safety net if he turns nasty.Irene's kind of busy at the moment, and seems to have only just found out Bella's still living with her, so really didn't pick up on the right things...

10 hours ago, c120701 said:

I forgot about Jasmine’s coma backstory. I was waiting for Irene to say “Willow & I are your family” and thought it was really out of character that she didn’t, but it’s another case of characters being written to suit the story.

I thought exactly the same.

I'd completely forgotten about that Dean, it's been a while thanks Red.  Guess then Dean did inherit something from Rick -  the talent for playing footie.

Jasmine was  in an induced coma for a  time, she panicked when she woke up, wanting to get away, worried David her ex would find her.

It is odd she has no old friends she could call on, has she moved around a lot that would explain it. Lance isn't a Fed for nothing,:wink: we didn't see too much of his off duty side last time, but he seems an OK guy.  Irene dropped hints too but of course when he asked Jasmine she played it down, he wore her down in the end though which I'm glad he did. I suppose aside from Lance and Robbo's parents the rest of the guests will have to be split between them.

Was Irene really not in contact with anyone while she was away and only found out Bella had been at the beach house all the time when she came back?  They do have these relative modern things called phones and pc's/laptops that allow you to communicate with people even if they are in a different country though you may have to allow for time differences.   She nearly caught Bella out on her laptop and Bella neatly got round the ' a friend' suggested it'd be better if I stayed here question.  Bella nearly got away with the school excursion fib, but unluckily for her Irene ran into Maggie at the Diner, it may be splitting hairs but Irene did assume it was a school trip.  At least that invite came by post, made it look more official.  Then Oh Bella - despite the fact she looked doubtful about giving him her number she did it anyway:o.  Seemed she did have his number as she texted him asking where he was. Why couldn't she have gone by bus and met him in the city, but I suppose then it would have been pointless Raffy being there to see him pull up in his car.  Was there any significance in us seeing his signet ring?

If Salt is still a restaurant I'm guessing there are still tables and they were just pushed to one side for the party?   Ryder did overreact with Raffy, she has been there plenty of times to have meals with John & Marilyn and her family  and as long as she is isn't drinking no problem, she had her 16th Birthday party there!  Maybe it was because no meals were being served so not classed as a restaurant for the night?  I'd like to think it was because he seemed to be alone and it was his first time that he told her to leave,  but why didn't Marilyn step in? I guess  it's still the school holidays which is why Roo didn't kick off as it was a late turn for him and left him feeling tired the next day. He is bound to be over eager, but it's like whenever anyone starts a new job that they really want, he'll settle down.  Raffy was hoping to spend the day with him but seeing how tired he was sent him off home to catch up on his sleep which is why she managed to bump into Bella at the bus stop.

TPTB did a good job in letting us think Willow and Mason were having fun,:whistling: they appeared to be very flirty at Salt, then sniggering away in the gym, shutting themselves in Robbo's office, carrying on the way they were when Jasmine & Robbo came upon them.  Been a while since we've seen Willow happy drunk, all that 'I love you guys' before Bella dragged her upstairs.:lol:  Oh those heads on Mason & Willow next day.  Robbo did do a good show of not being too impressed by their surprise, but we caught his smile when he turned away from them.

Raffy had nothing to apologise to Bella for.  Like she said, she was just worried about her and realised something suss was going on.

Speaking of suss, why didn't 'Tommy' make himself known to the girls?  Well, I think we all know why.  Dodgy.

It was funny Justin and Robbo both saying that the two colours looked the same ?

I'm not a massive fan of Jasmine & Robbo but their wedding morning encounter was quite sweet.

Alf's episode count this week:Four, and he was credited on Friday for no appearance.(Oddly, Robbo wasn't credited despite having a pretty large role!)

I actually think Irene was right not to do the Home and Away cliche and tell Jasmine they're her family now.I mean, it's probably how she views her, but trying to make out that it was okay that she had no-one who knew her in childhood or who could tell stories about her life before Summer Bay because a couple of people she'd known a year or so were coming would have just felt like platitudes.Jasmine about got there by her own in the end anyway.She and Robbo seemed to miss the point a bit by asking Tori to do the place names and then sneaking off for "alone time" without actually giving them to her, although she seemed to have time to finish them so I don't suppose it matters.Nice to get updates from Ava, and Leah and Justin provided some nice humour.I'm guessing Brody's old room is going to be a nursery then? Okay, that makes reallocating Raffy's room make a bit more sense.

I'm guessing we were meant to recognise Tommy's ring from when we saw his hands the other week, although really, who else would it be? So, why didn't he approach Bella? Did Raffy scare him off? Or was this always strictly recon and he was planning all along to meet Bella during the wedding when it'd take time for anyone to miss her? Not sure why he didn't respond to her texts after going to all the trouble to exchange numbers. He might not want to leave a trail, but given the number of personal messages he's been sending her, it's a bit late for that.I'm guessing from Bella telling Irene she's got a headache that she's decided to do what Tommy wanted.Raffy, of course, was in the year group Bella's now in when she first came to Summer Bay so would probably be familiar with most of her classmates, although Bella might not know that.

Archived