Dan F

2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

I did wonder why Ben just didn’t give Dean a share in the business for his $20K

John isn't Superman.

A) Too old

B) NOBODY wants to see him in tights w/ his pants on the outside!

He just needs to figure out where's his head at, where' shis head at! (I was a 2000s teen gimme a break) He's running around like a headless chicken. We just need Jett back if only  TO tell him "Dad, please go home." so he can get his priorities in order.

TBF, Red. There are some pretty horrible people on the net or not and in these times You HAVE to be on your guard. After Josh/David on Corrie last year, I don't let my pint out of my sight! (Not that I did before)

Nice to hear Liv getting on with her life, prob stopping into visit James as standard.

What is it with Soaps and Dosh as of late, I mean you got Phil v the Slaters on EE and you have this Dean sitch here...

Ben's reaction was exactly the same as Ziggy's and as Willow said, and she did know where it came from, what else did he expect? A bloke who rents a van, no real money to his name suddenly hands over $20,000!!   Willow said she'd be suspicious, but I suppose he doesn't want to have to explain to everyone where it came from. Ziggy wasn't about so Ben couldn't ask her if she knew about it. Nice little reminisce about Dean trying and failing to impress his earlier girlfriends dads, apart from Willow's. Anyways Ben did have second thoughts and accepted Dean's assurance it was legit. Before that in Salt,  Ben did look surprised when Dean took the news so well he'd have to pass on the offer. 

Roo was great with Bella, didn't tell her what to write, but just put the idea in her head about relating what the character in the book was going through and what she went through with her dad.  Once she'd got it was just what she needed to get her started. She always looks so pleased when she gets it right.   My thoughts exactly baywatcher about Irene being referred to as 'an old lady':lol:  Maybe have been an oversight but Bella didn't mentioned she was also sharing with Jasmine.

Clang, clang - is that the sound of warning bells ringing?  Tommy is asking personal questions far too early.  I agree great that TPTB chose to put the words up on the screen rather than making us squint to have to read what was written as they wrote them. Maybe it is all innocent but this is soap land after all. She is a newbie in social media and not as savvy as she likes to think and is pretty vulnerable still. I thought rule no. 1 was not to reveal too much personal information in chat rooms. Isn't that how the drama with Spencer started? A guy pretended to be a girl on a dating site.

Good  to get a mention of Liv, so not forgotten after all.  Of course if Irene does go London  it does kind of leave a problem of what happens to Bella , she was only at the Beach house because Irene would be there to look after her, can't really put that responsibility on Willow and Jasmine.

John is trying too hard to do too much and who is going to be looking after Jett while John spends his weekends in the bay?  OK let's see how his plan of running the surf club and his other work responsibilities work with him running them remotely from the city before we judge.  When did Ryder get so grown up, his standing up to John over the pay he was due is so unlike the boy we first met so good for him for persisting.  John isn't a young man and the strain he's putting himself under can't be good for him.  To give him his due he does take the criticism he's been getting and is trying to sort it. Alf, as he said, can get him replaced as manager but Marilyn can't replace him with anyone else as her husband. Marilyn has the patience of a saint and he did make it up with the meal, even if it wasn't home cooked.:wink:

Another episode I really enjoyed.

Colby to Bella "You do realise that men and women, they can actually be friends?".  Hey man, you do realise that this is Summer Bay?  Never gonna happen.

I'm not Bella's biggest fan but I thought it was sweet that she didn't want to move back in with him because she didn't want to stuff things up between him and Mac.

So now we know why Mac was so interested in Dean.  She buys Salt on a whim because her half-brother lives in SB?  Will be interesting to find out if there's more to it than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yep, the reveal about Mackenzie.A nice touch that the show's been crediting her as 'Mackenzie' up until now before switching to 'Mackenzie Booth' this episode: They've obviously learned their lesson about giving away a twist by full-naming people.A bit disingenuous of Dean to say he hasn't got a sister when he's already met one.I guess it's a novelty for him to have a relative that's sane and wants to spend time with him.I hope that's all it is - she helped him out with John and her reaction to Colby and Bella's sibling banter suggests she regrets that she's never had that - then I remember all those calls from her dad which are probably going somewhere.She gets her first Obligatory Bikini Scene too. (Has Bella had one yet? I've a vague memory of something when she first came in but might be remembering it wrong. I only say because she was clearly wearing a bikini beneath her dungarees here, then bailed on going for a swim.) Mackenzie had a look of Denny about her for one brief moment, which underlines that you don't even need to be a family now to have a previously unknown half-sibling turn up!

(To digress, I suddenly realise the Astonis have never had one.Of course, they're unusual in that both mother and father are regulars on the show, and with them having been together since their teens and having a strong relationship, it might be a stretch to have an unknown child of one of them turn up.)

Back to Bella. It was frustrating to hear her blaming herself for Colby and Chelsea's break-up, when that one's on Colby for, you know, killing a guy.He did at least take responsibility, even if he didn't mention that bit. Assuming she's not being completely irrational and blaming herself for things that aren't her fault at all, the only thing she did wrong was not telling anyone Ross was in town, which didn't help but was certainly several steps removed from the choices Colby made. Anyway, it seems she's back to living with Colby. I'm not entirely against that, the set-up with Irene never quite felt like a natural fit, but see how it goes.

22 hours ago, baywatcher said:

Colby to Bella "You do realise that men and women, they can actually be friends?".  Hey man, you do realise that this is Summer Bay?  Never gonna happen.

Willow & Colby? 

Maybe on some level Colby is interested in Mac, but he 's not ready for even a casual relationship yet, hence his mentioning Chelsea. I'm glad Colby and Bella actually talked about why she didn't want to move back while Irene is away, Willow was happy to look after Bella in Irene's absence, but it was Irene who took on the task.  Btw Bella took the news it had been decided she'd be moving back to Colby's well seeing as she hadn't been consulted beforehand. OK no problem with Bella living with Colby is her brother but it would have been good to see her, Willow, Jasmine and Irene to have some girly time together, she hasn't had much of that apart from hanging with Raffy.

I did like Ben & Dean teaming up to pull the wool over John's eyes, but, not wanting to appear pedantic and a fusspot, didn't John have a point about having 100 boards cluttering up the garage, I guess that is where the beach buggies are kept and it being a safety hazard?   Would Alf be OK about it?  Anyways they were both struggling until Mac came along and charmed John into telling her more about the set up in the bay, how did she know he's susceptible to being flattered by a beautiful woman.  Lucky for him Marilyn wasn't about. It seems John has everything sorted but  good to know people are still concerned about him rushing back and forth to the city.  Oh he was saying to Jett - on the phone -about he'd be home for dinner and yes he did know he could cope OK but wanted to be there to offer a helping hand. 

She reminds me of Martha (surname Mackenzie) creepy coincidence. :unsure:

Mac was getting absolutely nowhere with trying to grill Dean, no surprise there, he's had years of experience of that from experts - namely the cops.  Guess she realised she was on a hiding to nothing trying to quiz Dean so decided honesty was the best policy.  Of course Dean didn't believe her, the last (half) sister he met - briefly - was Kayla and he doesn't know Mac from Eve, she could be anyone. Oh earlier she told Colby she was an only child from a broken home - so a  half truth there.  I couldn't make out what she told Dean about Kayla - is Kayla their half sister from another marriage of Rick's as Mac said it was her mum Rick cheated on with Karen.:unsure:  It seems not  all is well between Rick and Mac, some dispute over money which lead her to doing some digging  and that is how she found out about the house Rick bought Karen. Always seems to be the case where there is a rich mum/dad and kids, the kids rebel over something at sometime. Can bet your boots Rick won't be happy they've connected.  I'm glad Dean clued in Willow about her, guess Colby will be next.

7 hours ago, H&Alover said:

Willow & Colby

Ok but they are like brother and sister (and we don't want to go there).

7 hours ago, H&Alover said:

She reminds me of Martha (surname Mackenzie) creepy coincidence. :unsure:

Me too.  I wonder if the name they gave her character was deliberate?  Emily could easily have been brought in to play a recast Martha but I'm still hoping that one day Jodi will come back. 

When Mac said she was going to send champagne over to Jasmine & Robbo, I assumed she meant the bottle.  Cheapskate 😀

Willow was funny keeping an eye on Mac (and necking Robbo's champagne at the same time).

I hope Robbo is going to wear something other than that grungy vest on the big day.

• Haha 2

Ziggy annoyed me a bit at the start. First she got Willow to break Dean's confidence (Willow later tells Jasmine too but it felt like the cat was out of the bag by then).Then she drags Dean away from work for a D&M when she must know that Ben's stressed and flat out and can't afford to lose his only worker on a whim.She did redeem herself somewhat later, making the obvious point that being related to Rick doesn't make you a bad person, and was ideally placed as the one who actually has a good relationship with her family (although Colby wants a relationship with Bella as he pointed out).It feels a bit like the details have been fudged to make it work: The implication last year seemed to be that Rick had cheated on his current wife with Karen.Forking out $50,000 to hide the fact you cheated on a wife you're divorced from seems a bit extreme, but maybe Rick doesn't want his new family (who he seems to favour over Mackenzie) to find out about the skeletons in his closet.Willow and Jasmine's inept surveillance, and Robbo's reaction to it, did make me laugh but I was kind of on Mackenzie's side during Willow's subsequent attempt to give her a warning.Of course, the question remains of why Mackenzie is dodging Rick's calls: Dean saw it as a moment of solidarity but he doesn't know how frequent an occurrence it is.

I'm with Willow: It's hard to think of Robbo with parents. And now he has a brother and sister as well? Where have all these people been?! He seems to have expanded his friends list a bit if he's inviting old Feds other than Lance.In real life, meeting your spouse's parents at your wedding would be unusual.In soaps, less so.

So Ziggy aced her TAFE.  Maybe we'll see more of her and Justin working at the garage now (but somehow I doubt it).  It says everything that Justin can work from home 🙄

Do we actually know why Robbo is so reluctant to let Jasmine meet his parents?

Ben is stressing about his surfboard order and Dean is nowhere to be seen.  Have we actually seen Ben working on a board yet?