2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

On 10/05/2019 at 23:55, Red Ranger 1 said:

Ross was kind of right about Colby though: He did track them down and hurt them, and in Ross' case kill him! And I fail to see why it's somehow okay for a murderer to be a police officer because other murderers have been police officers.He's corrupt and a criminal and has no right to wear the uniform.He didn't "just happen" to kill someone or "snap".He slowly and deliberately picked up the gun, walked over to where Ross was lying, pointed the gun at him, spent several minutes weighing up his options and then made the decision to kill him.As for Ryder, I think the very fact he got the weed shows that he doesn't get it.He just wants to make things better for Raffy and he's not thinking about the big picture or how much trouble they could all get in.Stopping this unofficial trial was the best thing for everyone in the long term but now he's managed to pressure Mason into carrying on with it.

That was some very affecting stuff with Jett.I have high hopes for them following through on this: I notice another thread has been started claiming lots of other characters were told they wouldn't walk again and did, but I don't think that's right, none of them were told categorically that they wouldn't.Jett has been and it would take a lot to come back from it.Jasmine was on top form here, just being sweet and caring towards both Jett and Tori.Jett looks scarily young which adds to the impact of the responsibility he feels: Even with this, he's been luckier than some and, despite his gratitude to John and Marilyn for bringing him home, he feels he should be there with them rather than being out of it.

Dean was kind of in a no-win situation with Ziggy, although it was a bit strange that he let it go on as long as he did and then stopped.If they'd gone through with it, she'd probably have regretted it the next day.He pulls back and she feels rejected.

Hey, in both world Wars 14yos lied and signed up but you're right. He does look proper young. Nice mention of Gina. The producers could still pull a "Philip Martin" with Jett (told he'd never walk again and Julie would effectively be looking after him the rest of his life. 7yrs, a few pounds and a recast, he's walking around as if nothing happened :) )

Dean was Wise to apply the brakes. Being the rebound guy after his own problems, would NOT benefit either of them.

LOL Justin and Leah. I like this fun Leah akin to what she was in 2000-01. However, this being summer bay it won't last long.

Some good stuff in the previews for this week.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Hey, in both world Wars 14yos lied and signed up but you're right. He does look proper young. Nice mention of Gina.

Jett does look young but he's 21!  I think there was slip by TPTB - Jett said Marilyn & John had saved him twice - but it was Gina and John who saved him first.  Gina took him under her wing when his mum died and believed in him even more than John did initially.

Colby IS corrupt: He's lied to his superiors, falsified reports and generally sabotaged police investigations in order to cover up his many crimes, and occasionally other people's.As I indicated earlier, the fact that he didn't just pick up a gun and shoot him in a split-second decision but took time considering all the reasons not to do it and still killed him makes it worse, in my view.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 20:38, CaptainHulk said:

The producers could still pull a "Philip Martin" with Jett (told he'd never walk again and Julie would effectively be looking after him the rest of his life. 7yrs, a few pounds and a recast, he's walking around as if nothing happened :) )

That's a myth: I've seen the 1985 episodes and Philip Martin was never told he wouldn't walk again.It wasn't even suggested as a possibiliity.He was obviously only using a wheelchair for a few days while he recovered, like Adam Cameron was in HA a few years later.

Anyway, today! Well, Willow did the responsible thing in refusing to buy Ziggy alcohol and taking her home, although she lost points by then spending the next day assuming the worst of Dean.I had a bit of sympathy for Dean but he really needs to think before opening his mouth.And indeed look around.He did a pretty poor job of putting Ziggy straight and only managed to embarass both of them in front of her parents.

I've been rather critical of John over the last year or so, but having Jett around has brought out the best in him.His straight-talking was probably exactly what Jett needed at that moment.Jasmine continued to be a darling and is making me like Tori again with her support of her.

Is Willow jealous right now? I hope that's not the case, but it does look like it. A lot. That shot of her at the end of her conversation with Dean at the gym was just too long for my liking. I did feel sorry for Dean with Ziggy avoiding him and Willow assuming that he started the kiss, and he did mean well, but he still needs to learn about being careful about what he says. It's gotten him into trouble many times before and now it's gotten him in deep water with his boss. Also, it looks like he no longer has anymore night troubles. Of course... ?

Thankfully though, the Jett storyline and everyone involved in it was great to watch. I was worried that perhaps it was a bit too early for Jett to be trying a wheelchair and after the first attempt, I feared his frustration would set his emotional state far back. But at least, with John's great encouraging speech, he made through the second try. I loved John's scene with Jett, it was beautifully done and it gave Jett the encouragement he desperately needed. Jasmine was wonderful to watch again, and I really like how caring she is even to Tori, putting aside her actions for the sake of the baby. 

Overall, though I still dread some stories that will continue, I'm really enjoying where Home and Away is right now. 

40 minutes ago, D.B said:

Is Willow jealous right now?

I didn't get the impression that she is jealous.

41 minutes ago, D.B said:

Overall, though I still dread some stories that will continue, I'm really enjoying where Home and Away is right now. 

Absolutely.  Me too.  Hope it continues.  I haven't enjoyed the show this much for years.

I guess our definition of corrupt is completely different then - 'having or showing a willingness to act dishonestly in return for money or personal gain'.

Great scenes with John, Marilyn and Jett, he went through the whole gamut of emotions which - won't say normal  that has been overused - are only human.  I liked Jett apologised to Jasmine, John & Marilyn but I dare say there will be more outbursts to come and indeed there was when he threw a hissy fit over the wheelchair. Maybe it's a new thinking that the sooner the patient can sit up and feels up to it they can try out a wheelchair, has psyhio got a name, she was very good with Jett.  It had nothing to do with him not being able to walk, it was getting the hand co-ordination right to be able to turn it round that was frustrating him. It honestly hadn't occurred to me before but it did last night when Jett  banged his leg and it was bleeding and naturally he couldn't feel it.  I suppose people who are paralysed like that do have to be careful because any scratch or cut could get infected and they wouldn't realise.   Anyway back to the storyline, Jett was probably only voicing what hundreds of guys and gals have before and will after him about how his life is over, he'll never be able to anything for himself, live independently etc.  Maybe way back in the dark ages that was true, but nowadays thinking, thankfully, has changed,  paraplegics are given every encouragement to live a independent life and there is so much now to help them do that.  Of course there will be limits as there is for anyone, but Jett is one determined young man.  I loved John's almost tough love speech it was  just what Jett needed to hear at that moment. Neat mention of the Invictus Games - thanks John.  Typical Marilyn flapping over John hurting himself when he and Jett were mucking about in their chairs and great to see Jett laughing.  He's still a way to go and hope he accepts counselling if offered, he 'nagged' John into having it so couldn't really refuse.

Wasn't it Seb who was the bay's last paraplegic who then left?  Mason was also in a wheelchair for a while while he recovered from his back injury where he was  told it was unlikely he'd ever walk again, btw  he seems to have recovered completely from that. A difference though in 'unlikely' and a definite never.  Either Jett isn't up for other visitors other than family or he's not wanting to see anyone yet.  Jasmine is being great supporting John, Marilyn, Jett and Tori - but no-one supporting her.  So in the absence of Robbo come on Irene - give her a big hug and a shoulder to lean on.

It could have looked like Dean was stalking Ziggy after he followed her to the surf club and their exchange witnessed by Willow.  He backed off though and asked Willow to make sure she got home OK and dodged Willow's questions for the time being at least. He was being discreet  about what/what didn't happen. Strange Ziggy is more upset he turned her down when you think she'd be relieved, no-one saw her being 'rejected' so where is the shame?  Willow has known Dean a long while so knows his reputation with the ladies, wasn't that long ago he was chasing everything in a skirt or a bikini when he thought he was going to prison.  But she misread the clues this time round, she mistook Dean's silence and Ziggy's reluctance to talk to mean he had slept with Ziggy. It took Ziggy's blurting out it was what Dean  didn't do to put her straight.  Ben and Maggie didn't know what to think either, Ziggy refusing to talk about Dean's Birthday surprise other than it was some bottles of beer and a cup cake round a camp fire. Dean was just as evasive when Ben collared him at the surf shop.  Shame Dean's explanation to Ziggy as to why he said no came out completely wrong - Willow and we know what he meant, hope he does get to tell it properly. Despite her being upset/angry/ embarrassed  she would have regretted it.  Maggie and Ben will be pleased nothing happened and that Dean did the right thing.

I would say that evading punishment for murder would definitely count as "personal gain".The physio didn't even get a credit despite having lines.I've an odd feeling she appeared uncredited before but I've no idea when.

Dean was completely in the wrong disrupting Simone's session with Bella like that.Bella shouldn't suffer because he's appointed himself Ziggy's bodyguard and possibly wants to get in her pants.I'm not Simone's biggest fan but she's virtually a saint compared to the collection of thieves and murderers that form Bella's usual social circle.I did approve of Colby kicking Dean out and think he didn't go far enough, shame that we're soon back to him waxing lyrical about how to get away with murder, seemingly on the basis that he saw a film of dubious historical accuracy.I wasn't entirely keen on the way the episode seemed to have everyone lining up to go "Dean Thompson, what a guy!" I don't really find much appeal in the idea of him with either Ziggy or Willow, the latter got divebombed long ago and the former undermines the idea of him being a supportive friend.I was on his side against Brody, who really doesn't have any moral high ground in this.It's finally beginning to dawn on him that people liked Ziggy and aren't going to be too happy about him flaunting her replacement in public.

Just butting in here, if we're going to be 100% technical, then the full definition of corruption is: "An dishonest or criminal action, usually bribery among other acts, that misuses the public trust by a person in a position of power" (meaning a politician, a police officer, or any other civil servant). 

Anyway. While I'm all for Colby stopping Dean from disrupting Bella's learning just because he has a problem with her tutor, I just rolled my eyes at the idea that Dean thinks that Simone isn't a good role model for Bella to hang around with, because, you know, a murderer and his accomplice aren't higher up on the moral standing! And now, just like we had Dean's drug problems forgotten, we have Bella acting completely normal around Colby as if she doesn't know he killed someone in cold blood. 

All my moral outrage aside, I am glad that Ben did apologise to Dean for thinking the worse of him, and I'm glad that he made up with Ziggy. Whether I wan't the two together, though, I don't know, I liked their friendship, I don't think I want to see that ruined. The highlight of the episode is Ziggy and Dean shutting Brody's self-righteous stance of 'just because Me and Simone are know means that we're safe from scrutiny'. Brody's got no right to judge Dean though, who's much better with Ziggy than he's been. I've really been hating his attitude that everyone's wrong for judging him and Simone, when they have every right to. 

Archived