2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

Well, now I feel stupid for getting my hopes up here of people actually doing the right thing on this show. Apparently Colby has not learned a bit, despite all he was saying on Monday about how he realised how much his actions affected Dean and Bella, he's still happy to keep quiet about it. It honestly took him very little to be convinced to keep quiet, which just makes me doubt he really meant any of it at all. A tiny part of me was prepared to accept Colby again, because after weeks of disliking him, I was hoping that he'd actually do the right thing, but now, those hopes are dashed. What was more disappointing than that was that Bella didn't stay mad at him for longer, which she should have, but I guess it's just another example of someone who forgives someone who doesn't deserve it far too quickly for no good reason other than "family" (despite Colby killing her other last family member). And Colby's just making new excuses for justification, which just gets frustrating when it wasn't necessary to do it to protect Bella! Ross would have gone to prison and with all the charges laid against him, no lawyer would want to touch his case with a ten-foot stick. Keeping quiet is the easy way out, and that's what Colby's doing with Bella, Willow and Dean's encouragement, and that is why I'm disgusted with all of them. And that's a shame. It is. Like you Red,  I'm left wondering what exactly is the difference between Ross and Colby, other than Colby's a main character and therefore gets the protection of the writers and the other main characters. Again, it's shameful and disgusting.

On a much lighter note, loved seeing Ziggy punching Brody in his disrespectful face, and I love how completely unsympathetic Mason was to Brody. I didn't think that Brody could come off as more unlikable, but I was wrong: he has literally no understanding as to how much his actions hurt Ziggy (that seems to be going around a lot these days), and Simone also needs to realise that not everyone's going to be comfortable with her now. That said, I'm glad that Raffy agreed to the tutoring again for her own sake, and I liked the scene with Justin and Ziggy; they're not 100% there yet, but at least Justin realises his mistake to Ziggy, so it would be nice that he would regain her trust again. But now Raffy's deciding on her usage by herself? That probably doesn't mean well, just showing how bad this idea was. 

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think Colby did mean what he said about handing himself in once he'd told Bella at home rather than at the cop shop.  Her reaction was no more than we would have expected and right then she would have taken him to the cops herself.  He did just snap, the shooting wasn't pre-meditated, though a good pummelling of Ross would have been acceptable.  OK Ross, gets banged up, goes to trial, goes to prison for the rest of his life because of course no-one breaks out of prison do they? Bella had calmed down by the time Willow found her and as I thought she had mixed feelings about Ross being dead, she loved and hated him in equal measure. She told Willow he'd been good to her, yeh if you count being isolated for five years with a control freak who was emotionally and mentally abusing you being good to you. She was making excuses for him by trying to convince herself more than Willow that maybe he'd change, Willow of course knew him better than Bella did and knew he' never change. It's not just Colby Bella has 'pardoned' it's Dean and Willow too.  OK Ross was Bella's only other family member, but he was no great loss, dead or in jail, Colby isn't going to keep her isolated in the middle of nowhere, stop her being educated, making friends so yes Colby is different from Ross, Colby does care for other people whereas Ross just cared for himself.  Why would Colby not want to stay in the police?   Bella didn't make any further comment about Dean saying he was going to show her where the body was buried because, unless I missed something it was Colby alone who killed Ross.  They all managed to divert Jasmine's suspicions to keep her off the scent. On another point now Bella knows the truth and she won't have to worry about Ross coming back to get her and Colby she'll be able to get herself into her school work and get herself up to date.

Brody and the scarlet woman, he (and her) have done wrong, but they can't stay hidden for ever, the bay is a small place so he and Simone won't be able to avoid Ziggy or any other member of the Astoni family, but maybe keep the PDA until you are alone.  Ziggy had until she saw them had things under control, good day at work, no sense in cutting your nose off to spite your face by ditching your apprenticeship, looking forward to having a surf with her dad. She certainly is her fathers daughter and Ben could have stopped her if he'd been quick enough, was surprised she went for Brody rather than Simone and she can definitely pack a punch, actually doing what Ben has been so restrained from doing. Maggie on the other hand, struggled for a while to be as professional as had been.  Glad she was persuaded to go back to work, again, Justin can't really complain about Ziggy whacking Brody, and they have an uneasy truce.  If only Ziggy could take time out and imagine what she would have done if she'd been in the same position, she may realise it's not as straight forward as it seems.

Ziggy was expecting far too much in asking/suggesting Maggie fire Simone, her private life is questionable but so far she hadn't put a foot wrong in her tutoring, OK one slip when she let Bella down, even Maggie had to admit she was gifted at what she does.  She hasn't behaved inappropriately towards any student  so now rules been broken there. Simone mentions pupils, does she just mean Raffy and Bella or are there others she helps out too? Also Maggie had to fight the school board. even going to the papers,  to get Simone taken on as a paid staff member so would make her look like she wasn't on top of her job if she now fired her without a very good reason. The arrangement if it can be called that seemed OK, Simone keeps her job, does it well, Maggie stays off her back, she is just to keep out of Ziggy's way, well as much as is humanly possible. I'm glad Raffy changed her mind, with a little word in her ear from Mason to help their cover, she  did admit though Simone had helped her to find ways to concentrate so another one who has realised there was no sense in cutting her nose off to spite her face.

That evening meal did start off rather awkward, is it 'bad' of me to imagine that cake may have ended up in Simone's face? Ryder, bless him, did try and lighten the mood and Raffy was being civil to Simone at the end.   Nice bit of teasing between Leah & Justin  at the Diner. 

Of course in a proper controlled drugs trial environment the drugs would have been locked away and only taken out when they were to be used, not toted around in Mason's gym bag so Raffy could help herself to 'make sure' when his back is turned.  I think he gave her that dose because she was stressing about her exam, that of course has backfired on her, will she persuade Mason to give her another chance?  John and Marilyn are back today so right away Raffy was worrying about how she was going to get her 'fix' as she'd be back with them.  How did she work that out, they'd be likely to be spending most of their time at the hospital with Jett so wouldn't it make makes sense for her to stay where she is?  

There are differences between Colby and Ross, but I'm not sure if they go much beyond "He lets her go to school, and that's only because Chelsea made him." In the similarity column, we have: He kidnapped her from the home where she was happy, turned her against her other relative and told her he'd hurt her, murdered one of her parents when they tried to take her away from him and buried them in a shallow grave, and in a sense has isolated her, making her dependent on him while making sure the only opinions she hears are the ones where he comes out looking good.(After all, it's still not entirely clear how isolated she was with Ross: As she said to Ryder, she wasn't locked in a cave.)As for why he'd leave the police, leaving aside that, as I said before, his reason for going back no longer applies, if he had even a shred of decency about him, he'd know that a cold-blooded killer lecturing people on parking their cars too close to a corner makes a mockery of what the police are supposed to stand for.

Anyway, today! And back to no consequences. I'm not sure what the point of Raffy's extra dose was when we're back to square one, except for Ryder knowing, which is a pretty bad idea.As Mason said, Raffy's lucky that a lot of people are looking out for her, and it felt like Maggie was giving a few too many main character privileges.Okay, she doesn't know why Raffy was ill, so letting her take the exam another time doesn't seem too bad from that perspective.But giving Ryder extra time when he made no attempt to alert staff to Raffy's illness and ignoring him breaking exam conditions? I don't know, there was an air of favouritism about it all. Mason really should have taken this as the wake-up call it was and got rid of the oil, not allowed a teenage who really doesn't get it to talk him into continuing this dangerous trial.Oh well, at least the Palmers' dramas continue to keep Raffy with the Morgans!

Talking of which, it seems I was premature in listing John and Marilyn among the absent, as they're improbably back from Germany the following week.I'm told that travelling back and forth between Europe and the Antipodes, with the accompanying double eight-hour time difference shift, without at least a week in between is not to be recommended, so I suspect they wouldn't be in as good a shape as they appear here:There's a lot of talk of them being tired and having poor hygiene but we see little actual evidence of it.Good to see Leah doing the supportive friend thing: Alf'd be doing it if he was here.That seemed some pretty definitive news Jett got, with a bald "You'll never walk again" and his delusion of being able to feel and move his foot, so I hope we don't get a "The doctors were wrong" cop-out.It's interesting that they've gone down this route: I never felt comfortable with the pay-off to the Anzac Day storyline being Jett deciding to enlist despite seeing the negative effect serving had on veterans.It was his choice, but it felt like he'd taken the wrong message.

7 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Talking of which, it seems I was premature in listing John and Marilyn among the absent, as they're improbably back from Germany the following week.I'm told that travelling back and forth between Europe and the Antipodes, with the accompanying double eight-hour time difference shift, without at least a week in between is not to be recommended, so I suspect they wouldn't be in as good a shape as they appear here:There's a lot of talk of them being tired and having poor hygiene but we see little actual evidence of it.

Most cases the better people seem on the outside in scenarios like, the worse they probably feel on the inside.

On 09/05/2019 at 14:13, H&Alover said:

He did just snap, the shooting wasn't pre-meditated, though a good pummelling of Ross would have been acceptable.  OK Ross, gets banged up, goes to trial, goes to prison for the rest of his life because of course no-one breaks out of prison do they?

If he did actually just snap, then why has he never gave that excuse before instead of that rubbish of "I did what I had to do to protect Bella"? Sounds like Colby's just making new contradictory excuses for himself just so he comes on top. Also, the idea of him breaking out of prison, while possible, I'm not naive enough to think that the prison system is immune to mistakes, is still speculation.  It might have happened and it could have never happened. And in the moral sense, it doesn't matter. Colby is an representing officer of the law, if he can't follow it, then he shouldn't be in it. 

All the things Colby told Bella about Ross were true, he did kill Michelle and bury her in the back garden having told Bella she'd run away and did keep her isolated, but OK she had access to TV so knew who Willy Wonka was, but Bella's never mentioned any friends of her own age or even mates of Ross'.  Ross hadn't hurt her psychically   but mental and emotional wounds go a lot deeper  we saw how she flinched when Chelsea and Colby were arguing. Colby hasn't 'let' Bella go to school, he'd have the local school board on him if he hadn't, of course Bella was reluctant as she hadn't been to school for six years so naturally was scared, not just about the learning side but mixing with kids her own age.  True  the reason for joining the cops was to track down Bella, but he is good at what he does, what would he do otherwise. As for him being an officer of the law so if he can't follow it he shouldn't be in it how about other cops who we have mentioned on here before who were  a lot higher up the food chain  and corrupt to say the least not on a one man mission to find their missing relative and happened to kill the man responsible.

Raffy was very, very lucky the only side effects she had was a little dizziness, feeling sick and being dehydrated.  As Mason told her in no uncertain terms she could have been taken really bad and been taken to hospital where they would have done a blood test and wham, both of them in bother but especially Mason.  She did come across as a desperate druggie when she was fighting him for that phial when he threatened to flush it down the drain.  I think it really scared her and she has learnt her lesson, but it was like I said in a proper controlled environment the problem wouldn't have occurred in the first place.  I don't think you aren't giving Ryder any credit, he does get it, otherwise he wouldn't have gone for the weed option, it'll be another pair of eyes looking out for Raffy so Mason can relax when he's not able to be around. He put up a good fight for Raffy being allowed to carry on we forget he isn't always a 'flamin' galah' and can be responsible now he knows what is at stake he will.  Raffy has been feeling better Ryder backed that up before he knew about the cannabis oil trial so not just Raffy imagining it.  I'm guessing now the extracting of the oil is finished they've shut up shop in the garage, unless they still need it for the eucalyptus oil experiment which was Mason and Raffy's cover? It did take  awhile for Maggie to track Ryder and Raffy down, who was Raffy supposed to be with btw.  She did cut Ryder a lot of slack. 

Jet lag or no jet lag plus lack of sleep and worry Marilyn was never going to look anything other than she usually looks, make up covers a lot of sins, John did look the more worse for wear, they've only just got back so it still has to catch up with them. Raffy did get ahead of herself as thinking she'd be back with the Palmers, they have enough to worry about without having Raffy home alone.  Leah was great with Marilyn, just giving her  a hug without spouting all the usual platitudes like 'he'll be OK', though the 'he's young and fit' did  appear. Alf would definitely be supporting John. 

One of those times for the doctor, in this case Tori, to be blunt about Jett's prognosis, wasn't even a 'probably never' where there is a little bit of hope. Not an unusual symptom for someone in Jett's position to 'feel' sensation in the paralysed limbs, people who have limbs removed still 'feel' them.  He's also going to be suffering from survivor guilt as some of his men have died while he's lived so going to have  psychological  care too. Touching he wanted to ring his guys to see how they were doing. I don't see it as Jett having got the wrong message, it's not something you go into half heartedly, the Academy would have soon worked that out. Although Mason's case was completely different, he will be able to emphasis with Jett.

Ross was kind of right about Colby though: He did track them down and hurt them, and in Ross' case kill him! And I fail to see why it's somehow okay for a murderer to be a police officer because other murderers have been police officers.He's corrupt and a criminal and has no right to wear the uniform.He didn't "just happen" to kill someone or "snap".He slowly and deliberately picked up the gun, walked over to where Ross was lying, pointed the gun at him, spent several minutes weighing up his options and then made the decision to kill him.As for Ryder, I think the very fact he got the weed shows that he doesn't get it.He just wants to make things better for Raffy and he's not thinking about the big picture or how much trouble they could all get in.Stopping this unofficial trial was the best thing for everyone in the long term but now he's managed to pressure Mason into carrying on with it.

That was some very affecting stuff with Jett.I have high hopes for them following through on this: I notice another thread has been started claiming lots of other characters were told they wouldn't walk again and did, but I don't think that's right, none of them were told categorically that they wouldn't.Jett has been and it would take a lot to come back from it.Jasmine was on top form here, just being sweet and caring towards both Jett and Tori.Jett looks scarily young which adds to the impact of the responsibility he feels: Even with this, he's been luckier than some and, despite his gratitude to John and Marilyn for bringing him home, he feels he should be there with them rather than being out of it.

Dean was kind of in a no-win situation with Ziggy, although it was a bit strange that he let it go on as long as he did and then stopped.If they'd gone through with it, she'd probably have regretted it the next day.He pulls back and she feels rejected.

22 hours ago, H&Alover said:

As for him being an officer of the law so if he can't follow it he shouldn't be in it how about other cops who we have mentioned on here before who were a lot higher up the food chain  and corrupt to say the least not on a one man mission to find their missing relative and happened to kill the man responsible.

What about them? As my memory recalls, a lot of those cops mentioned before (with the possible exception of Dylan Carter, as his fate is still ambiguous) were arrested or met their comeuppance, such as Renee Turner. Why is the same not for Colby? And also, I don't see how previous corrupt cops have to do with Colby's situation here, just because there were criminals in higher commanding places before doesn't give Colby as free pass at all. He's still a criminal in a officer's uniform, as long as he's wearing that uniform he has a responsibility to hold up the law. If he can't put aside his personal vendetta for it, then he shouldn't be in the force, just the same as the rest of the corrupt. 

Anyways,

Firstly, I did enjoy the very nice scenes with Ziggy and Dean, though it apparently gave Ziggy the wrong message, either that or it was the alcohol. It's a bit strange that Dean let it continue for a while before stopping instead of immediately pulling out. And while thankfully Raffy was okay, that should have gotten the alarm bells in both her and Mason's heads. While I think that Mason was a bit harsh and that maybe he was focusing to much on what would happen if they got caught at the end, ultimately I think he was right to call it off, and he shouldn't have caved in to Ryder and Raffy at the end. 

Meanwhile, all of my sympathy for Jett and for both John and Marilyn, during an extremely hard time for them all. For a moment I thought it was going to be another case of a miracle when Jett said he could feel his foot moving, but it looked like it was either a mistake or desperate hope. I greatly admire his commitment and responsibility towards his team and feel so bad for him feeling like a burden towards John and Marilyn. Another favourite was Jasmine, who's caring, kind side was everywhere yesterday. I loved her scene with Jett at the end, encouraging him and reminding him of all who love him, and she was very good with Tori as well, who I did like these past two episodes. I feel like I like Tori the best when she's all professional at the hospital than anywhere else. 

Just caught up with this weeks eps, which I really enjoyed.

I'm quite warming to Dean, which just proves the adage that you should never judge a book by its cover. 

The scenes with Jett, Marilyn, John and their circle of friends were very powerful. 

Justin cemented himself as my favourite character in numerous ways - inviting Simone to the family meal (which went surprisingly well), his conversation with Ziggy at the garage, looking out for his sis and of course his ongoing encounters with Leah.

All in all, a very strong week.  If this standard continues I can see me sticking around much longer this time.

While I know we are never going to agree over Colby and I'm going to sound like  a broken record he is NOT corrupt, he's never been paid in any shape or form for covering up crimes, looking the other way, benefited in  anyway, as in furthering his career, used his influence, which as a senior constable wouldn't be that much, to get others to do as he said, Kat was more guilty of that.  Yes he tracked them, Bella, Chelsea and Willow down but when did he hurt them? The scene as far as I recall it had Colby pick up Ross' gun walk over to where Dean had just finished knocking seven bells of hell of of him aim it at him then Dean talked, or very nearly, him out of it, he didn't just walk up and fire.

Anyways as you said D.B back to Friday, cracking episode all round!  Great acting by Will McDonald, very realistic reactions by him to his new situation, guessing he may have done some research into it.  There's gong to be a lot of readjusting for all of them.  John & Marilyn looked so lost, the medical side of it is out of their hands so can only support Jett emotionally when he lets them.  He has been luckier than some, apart from the fact he is alive, he could have  lost a limb(s), been blinded, disfigured, suffered serious head injuries leaving him brain damaged, but I guess anyone's first reaction is what has happened to you.  I liked John understood Jett's lashing out at them as because as he said you do lash out at the ones you love, so sad when they were talking on the pier.:cryingsmiley:  Whilst all the bay, once they know, will be there  for John  & Marilyn , only parents who have had their sons or daughters come home with the same injury as Jett would fully understand, I wonder if they will be able to find a support group who can offer advice and get them through it.  Jett will also need psychological help but when he asks for it, you can't force someone to have it, look at John, Alf and Robbo.  Good exercise in how mature he's become with his concern about his men that he had to leave behind.  Wise words from Jasmine that as he thought of his men as his  family was the same as John & Marilyn felt about him so he should let them do what families do, look after each other, he'd do the same if it was John or Marilyn and not think it was a burden.

Doesn't seem to be public knowledge yet, Leah was very discreet about when she spoke to Justin.  Wasn't Raffy supposed to have visited Jett, did he put a block on it as he doesn't want people to see him like that or isn't he up for other visitors yet?  When Jasmine walked into Jett's room she introduced herself so I'm guessing he and her never met last time he was in the bay? :unsure:  She was so professional with Jett yet still caring, not making any promises that it will be easy for him.  She was caring towards Tori too, so I guess they are friends again,  reminding her it's not just herself she's got to take care of but the baby, gently nagging her into going home early timing it so Justin got caught out with Leah hiding in his room.:D 

Dean was so good with Ziggy he really cheered her up and yes he probably should have shut down her response to him earlier, but  it did catch him unawares, but he dealt with gently, it would have been totally wrong to let it go further, she was in the complete wrong frame of mind, part the drink, she wasn't that drunk, part hurt, part wanting revenge which he realised.  I didn't realise Dean's van was opposite Simone's.  Laughed when Dean offered to sort Brody out and she told him she already had by punching him and he said to not let him cross her!   Ziggy and Dean have always had a good relationship, getting drunk together at the garage and not letting Dean get all the blame, persuading Ben to give Dean a chance at his shop.  She would have made a good River Girl if there was ever such a thing. There's always been more to Dean than a 'tough' River Boy, a lot more to him than first meets the eye, he certainly isn't a one dimensional  character. Hope this hasn't spoilt their friendship, we saw in the trailer Ziggy tells Willow about it who gives her opinion.

Roo's back and it looks like she catches Justin and Leah having a snog!

Archived