2019 Season - UK Episode Discussion

Dan F

If there is a doctor or at a pinch a nurse who is a main character  they will at some point be asked or offer to help someone who doesn't want to go to hospital, removing bullets, stitching up knife wounds, getting them off drugs etc. Jasmine made a good point that even though Dean has got through it this time it doesn't mean he won't relapse unless whatever is bothering him is resolved. I was going to ask, Red, what a knicker factory had to do with it, but then I clicked!:D  Colby has explained to Ben that Dean's absence from Ben's Boards to down to him being struck down by flu, I did wonder if that was going to be addressed, then Willow offers to help Ben at the juice bar due to him helping John then when she sees Jasmine does a runner herself!  Colby knows what Dean was saying was the truth which is why he's made the decision he has. hence the goodbye call he made to Chelsea.  He gave good advice to Jasmine about not giving up on Robbo until she knows in her heart it really is over. Good to see Dean looked like he was able to get  a proper sleep. From the promo it appears Jett has been brought back to Australia which considering last week he was at deaths door the hospital in Germany must be pretty amazing.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Okay. I honestly didn't expect that. While I'm disappointed that Dean wanted to take back what he said, I'm somewhat surprised and impressed that it had that effect on Colby. Personally I think, he's doing the right thing turning himself in. While, it will be hard for Bella and the rest of them, he has to admit to what he's done, and I have to give him some sort of respect for that, even if he is doing something he should have done before. And to be fair he did say that he'd take the fall for Dean if they were ever exposed, so I like that he's going to take full responsibility. I do respect that. Still, I'm disappointed that Willow appears more upset that Colby's going to turn himself in than the fact that he's a murderer. I am aware of the effect it will have on their little family unit and I am sorry for that, but the fact is Colby needs to answer up for what he did and the effect his actions had on Bella and Dean and his marriage as well, with the phone call he made to Chelsea. At least Colby refused to change his mind, for once. Meanwhile, Dean's reaction was interesting, he's not happy about it but he's accepting of it. I liked Bella's reaction, I really did. Yes, Ross was a dangerous man and he shouldn't have been anywhere near Bella, but still he was her father, and I'm glad that Bella was furious at them all for lying about it and Colby for letting her live in fear. 

It was disappointing to see Jasmine delete Robbo from her phone, but if I'm honest, she shouldn't be holding on to him, no matter how much I love the two together. Meanwhile, I loved her being caring with Dean and how she stood her ground against Willow when she attempted to take Bella away (though it must be said, this is actually the third time someone has or attempted to take Bella away from her surroundings for their own need, A bit concerning). 

It feels as though the more Colby talks about turning himself in, the less likely he is to actually do it, although maybe he'll surprise me. Willow was as bad as I feared, coming across as the biggest scumbag of the lot with her moral of "Murder's okay if I like the murderer." I hated her screwing up Bella's schooling just so she could manipulate the situation.And I always hate it when they act as though someone should get away with a crime because people will be upset or worse off if they go to jail. The idea that, ooh, maybe they should have thought of the effect on people around them before committing the crime instead of using them as an excuse to get away with it afterwards never quite seems to dawn on anyone.Colby talks about taking responsibility one moment, then spouts his usual line about doing what he had to do and doing it to protect Bella to try and justify it the next. No-one apart from the quickly dispensed with Chelsea has ever pointed out that he'd have done a better job of protecting Bella by putting Ross in jail, instead of murdering Ross and making himself the one that should be in jail.The only bright spots were Jasmine showing how she's a much better person than the Mangrove River crowd (I loved her facing down Willow) and a realistic response from Bella which I hope gets carried on with. I can't even get behind Irene getting over-involved, I was hoping we'd got past her fixating on the latest teenage girl in town.

I think, as he said, Colby felt he owed it to  Bella to tell her first before going to the cops, he wouldn't have much of a chance after.  Understandably she was angry, Ross may not have abused her psychically but he did keep her isolated from people, and she may have been scared of him but he was still her dad and she loved him.  It's been a good coupe of months(?) since it happened and she's been in fear of Ross turning up ever since. It was always the big question mark put Bella at her ease by revealing Ross was dead but with the kicker it was Colby that killed him.  I can see why she was furious at both Dean & Willow for not telling her but it wasn't their secret to tell and a lot bigger one than the one Justin was hiding. That is the whole point at that precise moment in time Colby wasn't thinking, not as if he planned the whole thing.  As Dean was actually present it does make sense he'd be more accepting of Colby turning himself in, it'll stop his nightmares.  Neat little mention of Ross' watch, from what he said Colby had told him he'd told the cops it was Dean's though he hadn't been in to claim it. Of course if Colby with the help of Dean had taken Ross in he would have been banged up being a double murderer and all that, BUT we know it doesn't always work like that, he may have got himself a good lawyer, assuming he could afford one, he may have pots of money hidden away, and be out on bail as ludicrous as that sounds. Colby and Chelsea know how the law can work  and that would mean he'd have even more reason to get even with Colby.   

Colby has given a lot of thought to how Bella will be cared for after he's sent down, she'll have Dean and Willow, who OK aren't the first on anyone's list of foster parents/guardians along with Karen, but there is Irene who has experience - Bella is 16 so not a young teenager so will, hopefully, get a say in where she stays who looks after her.

Willow may have thought she was being clever in 'snatching' Bella from school but it would only have been delaying the inevitable, well done that teacher/staff member who alerted Colby, guessing Willow isn't a frequent visitor to the school otherwise the flare wouldn't have gone up.  Then later Jasmine facing down Willow when she knew something was going on, Willow couldn't refuse going for a coffee without raising any more suspicion, do wonder how Colby sussed out where they were, but never mind they were found before they left town.

Jasmine's antenna was really twanging, odd call from Willow, then both Colby and Dean acting weird with Dean not being willing to divulge why he'd got into sleeping pills, well seriously why would he, she's not a psychiatrist or therapist, she is a friend so no reason to drag her into the whole debacle.  It is sad she's made the decision to delete Robbo from her phone, guess that will now mean  - sod's law - he'll try and get in touch with her and won't be able to so will have to go via Irene.  Irene should have kept her neb out by advising Jasmine to delete him, she had always blown hot and cold with their relationship, supporting it one moment, dissing it the next.

Slightly off topic here (sorry) but does anyone know the names of any bands that are used in some current episodes? Looking for the song name at the start of Episode 7080 which aired in the UK on Friday 3rd May.

Well that was as bad as I feared. All Colby’s pretty words about doing the right thing and taking responsibility mean nothing: Just like when he just went along with Dean’s cover-up moments after telling him to call the police, it takes very little to convince him to carry on covering his tracks. If he’d had any claim to righteousness, he’d have gone to the police right after telling Bella if not earlier, rather than waiting around making excuses. Still with the same old justification, now contradictory as he comes up with a new excuse whenever he feels like it: Did he “just snap” or did he make a conscious decision that it was the only way to stop Ross coming after them? (Because hey, spending the next fifty or so years in jail for two murders, at least one attempted murder and at least three kidnappings would have slowed him down a bit, you know? He wasn’t General Zod, just a sad and lonely control freak.) Once more I was left pretty disgusted with Willow, as she turns all Lady Macbeth and gets in everyone’s heads to get what she wants, with her bleating about family seeming a bit hollow given that it’s only a year or so since she was ready to turn in Colby herself and he’s done worse since then. And so Bella goes from “Show me where you buried my dad then” to “You can’t leave me, I’ve got no-one else” (while ignoring the fact that that’s because he murdered her only other family member) in the space of a scene, and once more tries to convince us that Colby did the right thing with some of the worst dialogue ever written. The capper was “You don’t get to take the easy way out!” Excuse me? So, owning up to what you’ve done and going to jail is taking the easy way out, and sitting in your flat eating pizza with your fellow reprobates while smiling smugly at getting your own way is doing the difficult thing? Yeah, right. I wouldn’t be surprised if they now go “Storyline’s over, Dean’s guilt and nightmares magically disappear even though nothing’s changed except Bella being an accessory.” And of course, no reason for Colby to stay in the police now he doesn’t have to pretend to Bella that he’s looking for Ross. Oh, except he needs to sabotage their investigations. What a guy. It increasingly feels as though he and Ross were more similar than different, even though one’s written as a villain and one’s supposed to be sympathetic, except that while Bella didn’t know what Ross had done, she’s now so messed up that they’ve managed to convince her that Colby murdering her dad is okay.

Similar themes in the other storyline, except more nuanced thankfully. Brody displays a similar lack of guilt, at least in anything more than token variety, but the show does at least show Ziggy in a sympathetic light. It was way past time she got off that sofa and back to work, and I’m glad Ben and Maggie dug their heels in and gave her the jolt she needed. She’s not ready to forgive Justin yet but hopefully it’ll come in time. Forgiveness for Brody though? “I don’t want them to treat you like the other woman.” Well, that’s exactly what Simone is. Brody can’t cheat on his wife, take up with someone else and expect people to treat Simone like they treated Ziggy. This was one occasion when I was perfectly on board with Irene giving people evils, and I can’t even say that punch bothered me.

2 hours ago, Smurfman said:

Slightly off topic here (sorry) but does anyone know the names of any bands that are used in some current episodes? Looking for the song name at the start of Episode 7080 which aired in the UK on Friday 3rd May.

Mushroom Music Publishing on Spotify tends to post playlists titled 'sounds of summer bay' that have songs from a collection of recent episodes. I can't find that specific song though as they haven't updated with the most recent episodes yet.

3 hours ago, Lunar said:

Mushroom Music Publishing on Spotify tends to post playlists titled 'sounds of summer bay' that have songs from a collection of recent episodes. I can't find that specific song though as they haven't updated with the most recent episodes yet.

I got it, it was Slum Sociable - Do Something About It. Thank you for your help, i can relax now haha.

So.I can't bring myself to think too badly of Justin.Pretty much everyone in his family is making decisions he disagrees with, but they're still his family and he doesn't want to see them at each other's throats.And he even seems to include Ziggy in that, as we get their little bonding moment at the garage.It was good too to see him touching base with Leah rather than just...touching Leah.Maggie seems to have decided to go back to being professional, which is good because it was reaching the point where students were suffering, although Raffy clearly isn't keen on Simone as tutor.In fact, Ben and Ziggy saying Simone wouldn't have anything to stay in town for without the job was pretty ridiculous: Wouldn't she still have Brody? She stayed in town because of him long before she got the job.

Mason clearly isn't keen on Brody and Simone either and I can't say I blamed him for his comments.But his unsupervised medical trial was never going to be a good idea and now he's got Raffy deciding for herself how much she needs.Mind you, things seem to have gone wrong already: Mason said Raffy should take a drop after school and one every 24 hours after that, so why was he giving her one before school?

Archived