Why did the producers wait so long to recast Roo?

adam436

Why did the producers wait so long to recast Roo? I think it was obvious way before 2010 that Justine Clarke was not interested in reprising the role, so it could have and should have happened much sooner. Were they just waiting for the right actress to come along? Were previous producers dead against the idea? Could they have found an actress who was interested in a long-term recurring role, a bit like Joy Chambers (Rosemary Daniels) in Neighbours? 

There were a number of female characters in the 90s and early 2000s who could have been replaced with a Roo recast, such as Kelly, Donna, Lucinda, Roxanne, Amanda or Josie. I'm not necessarily suggesting any of those actresses have been cast as Roo, but in terms of relationships, storylines not connected to their past etc. 

It also would have made sense to have Roo appear in 2005, when Brett Macklin returned or at any point during Martha's stint. In fact, I'd say it was rather odd the producers decide to cast Roo just months after Martha leaves :blink:

On 30/01/2019 at 15:26, adam436 said:

Why did the producers wait so long to recast Roo? I think it was obvious way before 2010 that Justine Clarke was not interested in reprising the role, so it could have and should have happened much sooner. Were they just waiting for the right actress to come along? Were previous producers dead against the idea? Could they have found an actress who was interested in a long-term recurring role, a bit like Joy Chambers (Rosemary Daniels) in Neighbours? 

There were a number of female characters in the 90s and early 2000s who could have been replaced with a Roo recast, such as Kelly, Donna, Lucinda, Roxanne, Amanda or Josie. I'm not necessarily suggesting any of those actresses have been cast as Roo, but in terms of relationships, storylines not connected to their past etc. 

It also would have made sense to have Roo appear in 2005, when Brett Macklin returned or at any point during Martha's stint. In fact, I'd say it was rather odd the producers decide to cast Roo just months after Martha leaves :blink:

Im assuming they were hoping Justine would come back...maybe that was the plan. Keep her character alive if she promised to come back. I think there wasn’t much storyline for her after the love triangle. They changed her character and she pretty much blended into the background while everyone else evolved. I’m not sure what direction they could’ve gone with other than just randomly turning up. 

I think Alex leaving was the catalyst that changed a lot of the storyline for all of them. 

I personally would’ve liked Roo and Frank to be recast and stay to see the aftermath of the fall out. 

But then would the fallout have happened? If Alex had stuck around, they would have kept Bobby and Frank as the "golden couple", wouldn't they? The writers only split them up because Alex Papps quit. Presumably it was just a coincidence/convenient that Justine Clarke left around the same time. 

I wonder (someone may correct me!) if maybe the actors had all signed contracts or contract extensions that ended at that point, given that the McPhees also left around that time.So it may well be that Alex and Justine both decided to leave at the end of that contract hence Frank and Roo leaving together.

I think they probably were hoping Justine would come back.You don't really miss her in the 90s: Yes, it's odd that she never visits Alf, but that's a familiar soap opera trope so you don't think anything of it.I believe they did ask Justine back when Martha and Brett returned and again for the 4000th episode and she declined both times: There wasn't much point bringing in a new Roo for the latter but with the former it may well have been sensible to recast Roo at that point rather than waiting until after Martha had gone.I do understand from what was said at the time it was less a case of "Let's bring Roo back, who shall we get to play her?" and more a case of "Georgia Parker's agreed to join the show, who should her character be?"

On 08/02/2019 at 22:07, adam436 said:

But then would the fallout have happened? If Alex had stuck around, they would have kept Bobby and Frank as the "golden couple", wouldn't they? The writers only split them up because Alex Papps quit. Presumably it was just a coincidence/convenient that Justine Clarke left around the same time. 

I did indicate in my response that Alex leaving was the catalyst that changed a lot of the storyline....

The sad part is the missed opportunity to delve into what she was doing in New York after Frank left. 

On 09/02/2019 at 03:57, Red Ranger 1 said:

I wonder (someone may correct me!) if maybe the actors had all signed contracts or contract extensions that ended at that point, given that the McPhees also left around that time.So it may well be that Alex and Justine both decided to leave at the end of that contract hence Frank and Roo leaving together.

I think they probably were hoping Justine would come back.You don't really miss her in the 90s: Yes, it's odd that she never visits Alf, but that's a familiar soap opera trope so you don't think anything of it.I believe they did ask Justine back when Martha and Brett returned and again for the 4000th episode and she declined both times: There wasn't much point bringing in a new Roo for the latter but with the former it may well have been sensible to recast Roo at that point rather than waiting until after Martha had gone.I do understand from what was said at the time it was less a case of "Let's bring Roo back, who shall we get to play her?" and more a case of "Georgia Parker's agreed to join the show, who should her character be?"

From what I have read, I am inclined to believe that Alex made that decision long before it was time to renew his contract. He had already started filming for flying doctors very early in his onscreen marriage. 

Im really not sure about Justine. She did say that towards the end she was just getting through, not doing much acting.

Could’ve been easy to bring her back a few months later but as we both said, the producers were probably holding out for Justine. 

Archived