Neighbours...the early years?

Summer's Bay

The writers panicked, They felt Des was drifting and Jane had outgrown Mike. They were gonna put Des with Kerry but saw she had more chemistry with Joe.

Des came back in 2015 and didn't look much different. Paul Keane had a rough decade or two but seems to be in charge his of life.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

The writers panicked, They felt Des was drifting and Jane had outgrown Mike. They were gonna put Des with Kerry but saw she had more chemistry with Joe.

Des came back in 2015 and didn't look much different. Paul Keane had a rough decade or two but seems to be in charge his of life.

Um Joe was Jane's  uncle!.

On 09/02/2019 at 10:41, CaptainHulk said:

I remember Mike leaving and going to Uni. I believe he and Jane were on and off, and he outgrew her. I remember he dated some girl he met who fell off the back of his bike. 

I also remember Jane being electrocuted and after Des saved her, she started falling in love with him. 

When Des returned, did he give an update on Jamie? 

Mike dated Jenny Owens (the girl who fell off his bike), played by Danielle Carter, Rebecca Fisher V2. Mike proposed but she saw it as him feeling guilty.

Mike turned into a bit of a jerk mid-89 when he (unsuccessfully) schemed to get Bronwyn back from Henry and got bent out of shape over Des and Jane.

I think Jamie may be been mentioned but hadn't been seen on screen since he was a teenage runaway in 2003. I may have to watch 30th Anniversary week again.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2019 at 05:15, CaptainHulk said:

Mike dated Jenny Owens (the girl who fell off his bike), played by Danielle Carter, Rebecca Fisher V2. Mike proposed but she saw it as him feeling guilty.

Mike turned into a bit of a jerk mid-89 when he (unsuccessfully) schemed to get Bronwyn back from Henry and got bent out of shape over Des and Jane.

I think Jamie may be been mentioned but hadn't been seen on screen since he was a teenage runaway in 2003. I may have to watch 30th Anniversary week again.

I cant remember the storyline between Mike and Bronwyn. Did she leave Erinsborough with Henry? 

Jane and Des was just odd- glad she left him. Surprised he didnt leave with her. Do you remember why he left?

5 hours ago, Summer's Bay said:

I cant remember the storyline between Mike and Bronwyn. Did she leave Erinsborough with Henry? 

Jane and Des was just odd- glad she left him. Surprised he didnt leave with her. Do you remember why he left?

Henry left for New Zealand in late 1989 Bronwyn followed him in early 1990 after he set up the new house and made sure his DJ job was secure

• Like 1

Mike and Bronwyn were a thing for a bit but broke up due to Bronwyn being unable to fit in with Mike's uni friends, particularly a snobby girl named Jackie who looked down on Bronwyn for not going to Uni. Also, Mike getting a bit heavy, didn't help. When Mike came home from his off-on-one bike trip, he wasn't best pleased to find Henry staying at Number 28 with Bronwyn (They were kind of drifting around the street looking for a place of their own at that point) and as a result carried on like a tosser, which culminated in him chinning Henry. There was also a deeper reasoning, his guilt over Jenny was eating him up and could no longer contain it.

When Henry went up North to help Scott and Charlene rebuild their house after it was struck by a lorry, Mike began spending time with Bronwyn and schemed to get her back. He tried to make a move which messed with Bronnie's head and nearly tore her and Henry apart. Bronnie then rejected Mike much to his anger and accepted Henry's proposal. Things worsened when Mike learned about Des/Jane getting engaged too, then sulked like a 4yo for a bit and acted like an arsehole but eventually came to his senses.

Des and Jane fell apart due to Annie Jones deciding not to renew her contract, hence the storyline of Jane staying in the UK to look after Nell who had a funny turn and calling off the engagement.

Paul Keane had a cocaine problem, he couldn't handle the pressures of fame and Des was often gone for weeks on end in 1990. By the end of the year, Des was written out moving back west to marry a woman named Fiona.

Edited by CaptainHulk
  • Like 1

Thanks. I just read an interview where Paul talked about it. He was still able to put on a great performance in spite of his personal problems. I think any school the preps students for a position in the public eye should incorporate counseling into the program. A lot of people are really not ready for the attention and what comes with it. 

Did Mike go away to “the city “ for Uni or did he stay in Erinsborough?

why did Scot and Charlene leave? I remember Scot having to retake his HSC and he and Jane sharing a kiss. If I remember correctly, she write in her diary that she always liked him.

What happened to Jim Robinson’s other daughter? I think she is older than Paul 

Mike presumably went to Eden Uni as he always came home after classes. Mind you in H&A in 1997, Sal would commute to the city for Uni while still living with Pippa.

After they reconciled following the Jane mess, Charlene left in 1988 after Grandpa Dan bought S&C a house up north near him and Grandma Edna. Max hooked Lennie up with a job at a garage up there and off she went. Scott, who stayed behind living in her room, went up to visit her a few times until he left permanently the following year when he was able to join a newspaper up there. Timing worked out as he found himself becoming tempted by Poppy Skourous, who Henry went to school with.

Julie, who was a bit younger than Paul died in a roof fall in 1994 during a murder mystery party, leaving Philip widowed again. He was in the frame, as their marriage had been falling apart for weeks and they argued the night before, for it until Debbie confessed she saw Julie drunkenly fall to her death the night before.

• Like 1