Joining Our Lives Together (Part 2)

Chair

An early Christmas treat!  The first post of Part 2 of my fanfic.  Also Happy Christmas everyone!

(Random titbit of information – the fanfic title 'Joining Our Lives Together' is a slight spoiler about a future storyline planned later in the fanfic. I'm not sure if it will be in Part 2 or there could be a Part 3. I won't answer any guesses though!)

Story Title:   Joining Our Lives Together
Type of story: Short / Medium Fiction
Main Characters: Selina, Steven, Irene, Carol, Joe, Kevin, Ralph, Pete, (last three works in Steven's office), Rona, Kris, Danny, Ed, Andrew, Shannon, Pippa, Carly, Sally, Chloe, possibly other characters onscreen some mentioned
BTTB rating: A
Genre: Romance, Dreams
Does story include spoilers: No
Any warnings:   Sexual Scenes
Summary: This is Part 2 of my first story, Till We Meet Again that I wrote this summer. Steven flew out to join Selina on her travels for a few weeks. They got engaged. They are about to set off back to Australia.

Steven is going to set the computers up to the network at the hospital. Irene still needs to come round to the idea of their relationship. Steven and Selina also need to plan for their wedding...

Chapter One

Steven looked over at his sleeping fiancée as they were travelling on the plane back home. He didn't regret for a second asking her to marry him. He loved Selina with all of his heart. She fulfilled his dreams She was the woman he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He would miss spending so much time with her whilst she was living at Irene's and he was living at Pippa's and work as well. He knew they would still spending time together though and they would marry next August. Steven was also very touched that Selina had agreed to get married on the date of his parents' wedding anniversary, even in the same church. He would talk to Selina and ring the church once they were back in Summer Bay.

- - - - - -

Later Steven was dozing whilst Selina looked at her engagement ring. It was a gold band with a set of stones across it. It was just the perfect ring for her and Selina knew that Steven had chosen it with such love and such care, and he showed her such love and such care as well. She loved him with all my heart and looked forward to becoming Mrs Matheson next year. She would miss spending so much time with Steven as she had been doing but she knew the time they did get to spend together would be even more special.

To be continued...

Here is Chapter Two.  I have to admit I have based Carol on someone I know in real life and decided she wanted to wander into my story.

Chapter Two

“So this is my place.”

Steven and Selina stepped into Steven's place. It wasn't very big. They stepped straight into the front room, kitchen to one side, bathroom and bedroom at the end side by side. Selina liked it on sight, she could see herself living there with Steven straightaway.

“I love this place. It's just so homely and so you and perfect!”

“I'm glad you like it. Would you consider living here one day with me? You can think about it if you prefer.”

“Yes I want to live here with you. I love you Mr Matheson.”

“I love you too Future Mrs Matheson.”

“Now would you like to show me the bedroom...”

“Certainly. This way...”

- - - - - -

“So you're Selina. We've been hearing all about you.”

“All good I hope Carol!”

“Mostly bad!”

“Kevin! Give the young lady a chance to get her coat off. She's only just arrived back here yesterday, readjusting and now you're digging into her!”

“It's ok Carol. I don't mind.”

Selina could see that the whole team got on and they had a lot of banter going on together. Steven had already told her about his secretary Carol and the technicians Keith, Joe, Pete and Ralph so it was good to finally put names to faces. They were a friendly bunch of people.

“So Selina. What do you see in Steven here? Have you been to the opticians lately?!”

That's ok Ralph. I've got an appointment booked tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on!”

Laughter erupted from everyone in the room.

To be continued...

Hope you all had a good Christmas.  Thank you for all the lovely comments - much appreciated.  Here is the next part:

Chapter Three

Selina put her hand on Steven's leg as he drove her to Summer Bay. He gave her a reassuring smile.

“Does it seem strange going back to Summer Bay after these few months away?”

“Yes. I feel a tirade coming on from Irene as well, especially after we tell her about our engagement. I'm determined to not let her get me down though.”

“I'll be here to support you every step of the way.”

- - - - - -

Steven and Selina walked into the house and called out. Irene came rushing down the stairs.

“Selina! It's so good to see you! Welcome home girlie!”

Irene wrapped Selina in a big hug.

“It's good to return and see everyone. Irene, I didn't want to tell you over the phone or by e-mail but I've got some news.”

Irene looked at the two of them and then looked at Selina's left hand.

“Isn't this all a bit sudden? You've only been together for a short while.

“Irene, I made up my mind whilst I was travelling that Steven was the man I want to spend the rest of my life with. I love him and know that I'm not going to change my mind.”

“I love Selina with all my heart and have never stopped loving her. I will support her through everything and will never stop loving her.”

We have a date in mind already. Sunday 9th August 1998. It was Stevens' parents' wedding anniversary.”

Irene took a deep breath.

“Ok. You are a grown adult and old enough to make your own decisions. Now it's a time to tell you some news of my own which I also didn't want to do over the phone.”

Selina started to dread what Irene was going to say next.

“I have been having trouble with blurry vision lately. I'm having trouble seeing at night and bright lights. I have an appointment for the day after tomorrow for a hospital in Sydney. Would you come with me please Selina? I would really appreciate your support.”

“Of course I'll come with you Irene. You can count on my support.”

“Same here.”

“Thank you. Your support means the world to me.”

To be continued...

Thanks.  Here is the next part which is a bit of a filler.  Guess which edition of the game I've been playing today! 

Warning:  No mushy scenes today but maybe advised to not be read when eating your dinner!

Chapter Four

Pippa was away so Steven came round for dinner the next evening. After dinner everyone joined in a game of Australian Monopoly.

They all had a good time but as the game went on Selina was feeling unwell. She excused herself and went to bed with diarhea and vomiting.

- - - - - -

The next morning Selina was still in bed and not feeling up to taking Irene to the hospital. Irene rang Ailsa to see if she could take her but Duncan had a bug and she needed to stay with him.

“Oh lawks. I'm going to have to cancel the appointment. I've got no one to take me and I had better not drive there and back meself.”

'I'll drive you Irene'.

“That's very kind of you Steven but I can't interrupt your busy schedule. I'll just have to reschedule.”

It's no problem Irene. Selina will understand and I'm happy to take you. I know how much this appointment means to you.”

“Steven's right Irene. I'll be ok after I've taken some tablets. I've been clear for a couple of hours but I'd better not risk it. I know Steven will look after you.”

“Well if you're sure it would be a big help. Look after yourself darl and we'll be back later.”

To be continued...

I really appreciate the comments.  I hope nobody minds the long post.  The post kept getting longer and longer and it is was more fun to do than clean the bathroom which is my next job!?

Also please don't worry about Selina and Duncan's health - it is nothing serious.  Admittedly it was a plot device so Steven could drive Irene to the hospital!

Chapter Five

Steven and Irene got into the car.

Steven you didn't have to do this you know.”

I know I didn't have to but I wanted to. Who knows how long you would have had to wait for another appointment if you had had to reschedule and there was no one else available to take you.”

I guess you've got a point.”

I hope Selina will be ok. I hate seeing her so unwell. I just want to do everything I can to make her feel better.”

So do I luv. She looked pretty washed out this morning. We'll soon have her back on the road to recovery.”

- - - - - -

Irene and Steven sat outside the room waiting for Irene to have her appointment.

You don't have to hang around if you don't want to.”

It's ok Irene. I've got a book to read. Once you go in I'll go and get myself a coffee but I'm not thirsty now. I'll also ring Selina to see how she's getting on. Do you want anything?”

No I'm ok ta... Tell me to pull my head in but I have a question for ya.”

Go ahead and ask. You have Selina's best interests at heart Irene and I understand your concerns. I can probably guess the question though or what it is along the lines of. Ask me anything and I'll do my best to answer.”

Steven I have never made a secret of the fact that you didn't used to be my favourite person but I have seen how much you care about and are in love with Selina. What I'm trying to understand is why did you get together whilst she was still at school? Why not wait till she had left? Also why did you break things off the first time?”

Irene I didn't plan to plan to fall in love with Selina. It crept up on me. I tried to hold my feelings till she left school but I wasn't able to. Now I wish that I had given up my job after Selina and I had got together. I wouldn't have hurt her then which was the last thing I wanted to do. I never stopped loving Selina.”

Would you return to teaching?”

I don't think so, not after everything that's happened. I'm focused on my computer business now and starting a life with Selina.”

Thank you for being honest with me Steven.”

Mrs Roberts? We're ready for you to come in now.”

Oh help. This is it.”

Good luck Irene.”

Thanks darl. I'm going to need it.”

- - - - - -

Irene came out of the room about half an hour later.

“I've got to have a cataract operation done in a few weeks time. I can't drive until then.”

“I'm glad they can sort the problem out Irene.”

“Thank you darl and thank you for waiting for me.”

“It wasn't a problem Irene. I've rung Selina and she's feeling better. She hasn't had anymore diarhea or sickness.”

“That's a relief!”

- - - - - -

Irene and Steven got back to find Selina waiting for them.

“I'm feeling much better now. How did your appointment go Irene?”

“I've got to have a cataract operation in a few weeks time. Now sit down you two. I want to talk to you both.”

Steven and Selina looked at each other and sat down.

“I really appreciate your help today Steven and you helped to keep me calm. I have a favour to ask. If you can spare the time would you drive me on the day of my operation? You can come too of course Selina.”

“Of course I will Irene. I would anyway but especially now you're going to be my mother-in-law!”

“That brings me onto the next thing I wanted to say. Thank you for being honest with me today. I can see how much you love each other and care for each other. I know you would have done so anyway but I give you both my blessing.”

“Thank you Irene. That means so much to us both. I know Steven agrees with me.”

To be continued...

Thank you for the comments - much appreciated.  Happy New Year everyone!  (For some people it's already 2019 - it's still 2018 here.)

Chapter Six

Selina and Steven started planning their wedding. Shannon and Mandy were the surprise element of the wedding. Selina had planned for Shannon to be one of her bridesmaids but nobody would know this until Shannon and Mandy arrived in Summer Bay. Selina also asked Chloe and Sally to be her bridesmaids. They would wear long lilac dresses. She sent the dress pattern to Shannon and Shannon would have the dress made in Paris.

Steven rung the church and arranged to speak to the vicar. He agreed to marry them and met with them to sort out the wedding.

Irene was a lot more accommodating now that she had given Steven and Selina her blessing. Steven could come and go as he pleased. He didn't move in but he spent most nights at Selina's.

Steven set up the computers at the hospital as planned. The company that Selina had done some temping for earlier in the year was happy to take her back so she did more temping work for them before she started uni.

- - - - - -

Selina went for her interview at uni. That night she and Steven took a moonlit walk along the beach.

“The uni is going to help me find a placement for my nursing course. I'm just trying to decide which hospital would be best. I could do a placement at a hospital in Sydney but it depends on whether I'm living in halls or...”

“Which would you prefer darling? You can come and live with me but I don't want to put any pressure on you.”

“I would want to live with you. I just didn't want to assume you would be ready for me to invade your flat.”

“Of course I want you to move in with me Selina. It's what I've always wanted but I didn't want to suggest it in case you weren't ready. The mornings I'm at Pippa's I miss waking up next to you. I just want to wake up next to you every morning. Seeing your beautiful face gives me an extra spring in my step every morning and a great big smile on my face.”

“I'll sort out a placement near the flat then if possible. Ok Mr Matheson. Can I move in with you please? I'll promise not to be too untidy!”
“Of course you can.”

- - -

On New Year's Eve Steven and Selina welcomed in the New Year at Stewart's Point with a romantic picnic. They toasted the New Year together.ast

“Here's to 1998 Steven. I can't wait to become your wife.”

“A toast to 1998 – when you become my wife and we can start making a year full of memories Here's to us. I love you Selina.”

“I love you Steven.”

To be continued...

All comments are greatly appreciated.  Here is the next part.  Rona and Kris has been involved in my fanfic - even in the alternative fanfic I had in my head about S&S before I changed to this story for S&S.

Chapter Seven

Selina moved her stuff into Steven's flat.

“Thanks Steven for making more space so I can fit in all my stuff.”
“It wasn't a problem Selina. I want this to feel like home for both of us, a brand new start.”

I like that. I'm also relieved now that Irene has had her cataract operation and all went well. I'm also looking forward to starting uni. I wonder if any of the people I knew from the year below will be in my year or on my course. Also I hope I get on ok with nursing.”

“You'll be fine darling. I know you can do it.”

“Thank you Steven. Your support means everything.

- - - - - -

Excuse me do you know if enrollment is this way please?

I believe it is. I'm just following the signs. Which course are you signed up for?”

I'm signed up for nursing. I'm Rona, Rona Wilson.”

Hi Rona. I'm Selina Roberts. Nice to meet you. That's lucky – I'm signed up for nursing as well. I don't know the place that well. Quite a few people are living in halls. My boyfriend and I have got a place so I didn't need halls.”

Neither did I. I'm married to Kris and we were living with my Nan as she couldn't manage on her own. She died a few months ago and left the house to us. I'd always wanted to be a nurse and Kris has encouraged me to go for it. I decided to sign up for nursing so here goes!”

I've been travelling for a few months last year. It was good to get to see the world before more study. We're getting married later this year so I've got an exciting year ahead.”

Sounds like fun! I love hearing about wedding plans!”

To be continued...

Here is the next Chapter:

Chapter Eight

Selina and Rona started on their course. They were posted to different hospitals but they still met up for coffee. They became good friends. Selina was grateful to have a good friend as Shannon was now in Paris and Chloe and Sally were back in Summer Bay. She could talk to Steven of course and he was always good for having a male opinion but it was good to have friends apart from Steven. She got on with the other people from her course but Rona became her closest friend.

- - - - - -

I'm glad you and Rona have become good friends Selina. How about inviting Rona and her husband round for dinner one night?”

“That sounds a good idea. I'll arrange an evening with Rona and Kris to come round. One other thing I wanted to ask you. There's a dance coming up at the uni. Would you take me to the dance?”

“I would love to take you to the dance. What about the comments from the uni students who used to go to Summer Bay High?”

“I don't care about them. All I care about is you and I. The rest of them can chat but it's not going to bother me.”

- - - - - -

“Kris and I used to work together when I was waitressing a few years ago. How did you and Steven meet?”

“You might as well know because some of the uni students will realise at the Ball and the gossip doesn't bother us. Steven used to be my Maths teacher. We got together when he was still my teacher and he ended up losing his job, it was the talk of Summer Bay. We got back in touch when I was travelling and got back together.”

“Fair enough. As long as you're happy that's what counts.”

“Thanks Rona. Also I wanted to invite you and Kris round for dinner one night.”

“Love to. When are you free?”

They checked their diaries. The only free evening for both of them would be when Steven finished a bit later than usual. They scheduled it in anyway.”

- - - - - -

“Right guys. The lasagne's in the oven and Steven should be home soon. Shall I open some wine?”

“Sounds a good idea Selina. It's been a long day but I'm grateful for someone else to cook! Thanks for inviting us.”

“No problem Kris. What do you do?”

“I'm a Health and Safety Officer. Not that exciting but someone's got to do it. What were you doing before uni?”

“I did some temping and travelled for a few months after school. I wanted a break from studying. I could have commuted from Summer Bay where I used to live but I decided to move in with Steven.”

“Summer Bay hey? I had a friend who moved to Summer Bay with his foster family. They bought the Caravan Park.”

Selina was starting to get an idea where Kris's conversation was leading!

“Frank or Steven?!”

“Steven. Hang on – you mean your Steven is the same Steven I was close friends with?”

“Yes! But he's talked about his friends before – I don't recall him ever mentioning a Kris.”

“That's probably I was Kristian at school.”

“It's a small world! I always imagined you were a Christopher.”

“Most people do. I can't wait to see Steven after all these years!”

To be continued...

Thanks for the lovely comments. Here is the next part. Sorry it's long but I am wanting to move onto the actual wedding.

Chapter Nine

Steven was looking forward to the dinner as he drove home from work. He looked forward to getting to know Rona better and meeting Kris.

He turned his key in the lock and opened the door. Steven looked, blinked and looked again. He thought his eyes were deceiving him!

Kristian? Kristian Taylor? Is it really you?”

Yep, that's me. But people usually call me Kris this days. How are you mate? Long time no see.”

It's good to see you too. Hang on, you're Rona's husband? Did you know about this already?”

Hello darling. We only worked it out about ten minutes ago when I happened to mention that I used to live in Summer Bay. There's the timer for the lasagne to be done so I'll go and serve up.”

They all sat down to eat together. Steven and Kris enjoyed catching up. They chatted away as if ten years or so hadn't passed. Rona and Selina chatted between themselves. Eventually they all chatted together.

A few of us are getting together for a school reunion next month Stevo. You should come along. All your friends will be there. Danny, Ed, Andrew.”

I haven't seen any of them, especially Danny since before I left Summer Bay. It will be good to see them all again. Will they mind me tagging along seeing as I left back in Year Nine?”

Course they won't mind you going along. Your name has been menntioned many times over the years but we just managed to lose touch. I won't let that happen again mate. It's at the White Horse Pub. I'll give you the details before I leave.”

- - - - - -

Wow. That was a great night. You didn't have to wait up for me darling.”

I didn't mind. I couldn't sleep anyway. How was it seeing everyone, especially Danny?”

It was good to see them. I talked to Danny about his family and various stuff. His parents are still living in the same house. I don't know if I could go back to my old road. Maybe one day.”

I'm here for you darling through everything.”

Thank you. I can't wait to make you my wife.”

I can't wait to make you my husband. I'll add Kris and Rona to the guest list.”

If you don't mind I want to add Danny as well, maybe my other friends from back in the day. Now I'm back in touch with them I don't want to lose touch.”

That's ok. Night Steven.”

Night Selina.”

Selina was pleased to see Steven so happy after a night out with his old friends. She had worried that painful memories might make him hesitate about going to the reunion but he seemed to have enjoyed the night.

- - - - - -

Rona came over to get ready to go to the dance. Selina was wearing a long dress and Rona had a medium length maroon dress on. They painted each others nails.

Let's go and boogie!”

Steven drove them all to the dance. Steven and Selina walked in together to the dance.

He can't make your grades go higher now!”

I thought they were over ages ago!”

Selina and Steven ignored the comments and just enjoyed the night together. The people making the comments were silly and ignorant and not worth bothering about.

To be continued...

Thanks for the lovely comments - they are all really encouraging.  Here is the next part.  Also in this version Pippa's travels happen a few months later so she can be at the wedding.

Here are the wedding preparations:

Chapter Ten

Selina enveloped Shannon in a hug as she and Mandy arrived at the airport.

It's so great to see you! I hope you don't mind staying at our friends Rona and Kris's house as you recover from jetlag. There isn't much room in our flat.”

It's not a problem Selina. Don't worry. It's very kind of them to put us up. I can't believe is an old friend of Steven's!”

I know! It's great Steven is back in touch with his friends from when he used to live in Sydney. Also Steven has asked Danny and Kris to be his two best men as he gets on about all the same with the guys he works with. I did ask Rona to be a bridesmaid but she decided not to as she's already married. She's going to do a reading instead.”

I cant believe my best friend is getting married on Saturday! Let's get these wedding preparations started!”

- - -

G'day Pippa.”

Steven and Selina! You're here! It's so good to see you. Come in. I'm just planning all the food for Saturday.”

I'm looking forward to meeting Ian and giving him a grilling.”

Steven! He's not that bad!”

I know – only teasing. Now I have a couple of guests here who wanted to say hello.”

But Carly isn't meant to be arriving – Oh my goodness! Shannon! Mandy! This is a surprise! Why didn't you tell us you were coming?”

Shannon and Pippa share a hug.

Because we wanted to surprise you Pippa. Don't worry about finding accommodation for us – we're booked under an alias.”

When Steven and Selina told us the date it worked out perfectly. I was coming back to promote my new book – the signing is on Thursday. So we combined the trip with the wedding.”

Pippa Selina has asked me to be one of her bridesmaids. I have my dress – Selina sent over the pattern. Could you help with a couple of alterations.”

Of course I can. Step this way!”

To be continued...

Archived