Had the original mainstay characters run their course when they left?

j.laur5

I know people were sad when the likes of Donald/Pippa/Bobby/Sally left but I think they all left at the right time.

Bobby- I think her character left at the right time. She had already married twice and I worried that her character would go in circles unless Greg had stayed long term as well. 

Pippa- Like Bobby her character would have gone in circles had stayed. She would be married about six times by now and I worry  that Pippa would have turned into an unlikable character like Irene has in recent years. 

Donald- I would not have liked Donald to be on the show as a retired man. Being principal suited him and Donald was never  a town leader like Alf.

Sally- As great as  her character was in her final years I worry she would just have gone in circles with husband after husband. 

The only original character I think could have lasted as long as Alf is Ailsa.  Ailsa, like Alf , was a strong town leader that didn't need storylines. 

So what are your thoughts?. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, pembie said:

I think Irene Leah and Roo could all leave now Irene especailly they just seem like cardbroad cutouts with not much character to them anymore

That's because the writers don't treat them as fleshed out proper characters anymore, they are props for the younger characters to interact with. They give out advice which acts as a catalyst needed for a story for the younger character to go in a certain direction.

4 hours ago, dee123 said:

That's because the writers don't treat them as fleshed out proper characters anymore, they are props for the younger characters to interact with. They give out advice which acts as a catalyst needed for a story for the younger character to go in a certain direction.

Yeah that is my point boring Jamaise can go too haha 

7 minutes ago, pembie said:

Yeah that is my point boring Jamaise can go too haha 

Oh yeah. She can go bye bye. I will say this though about Irene though, she has story potential, well more than Leah (at least to me) and it's a crime none of her family or any of the Smiths for that matter, have returned, i wouldn't care about a re-cast at this point. Ret-con criminal sons don't count.

2 hours ago, dee123 said:

Oh yeah. She can go bye bye. I will say this though about Irene though, she has story potential, well more than Leah (at least to me) and it's a crime none of her family or any of the Smiths for that matter, have returned, i wouldn't care about a re-cast at this point. Ret-con criminal sons don't count.

I would get rid of most of the new characters this year 

On 11/11/2018 at 09:59, j.laur5 said:

Pippa- Like Bobby her character would have gone in circles had stayed. She would be married about six times by now and I worry  that Pippa would have turned into an unlikable character like Irene has in recent years. 

Surely the writers would have given up on marrying off Pippa if she was still around now... Irene has been single for the most part (aside from Ken, Barry and a few short-term guest characters), so I think Pippa would have had the same fate. 

On 11/11/2018 at 09:59, j.laur5 said:

Donald- I would not have liked Donald to be on the show as a retired man. Being principal suited him and Donald was never  a town leader like Alf.

I am not sure. I loved Donald, but I don't know what would have become of him as a retired him? Does anyone remember Frank Gilroy on A Country Practice when he retired from the police force? 

Archived