Beth's death

adam436

What are the general thoughts on Beth Hunter's death? I think the biggest disappointment was that it all happened off-screen. Not that I wanted her to die, but I just mean she deserved more. 

Does anyone know why Beth left the show for several months before being killed off? Was it not the right time storyline-wise when Clarissa left, since her death coincided with the birth of Kit's baby? If this is the case, could Clarissa not have filmed her death scenes before she left and then just inserted them in later? 

Did the producers hope they could talk Clarissa House into returning? Or was Clarissa meant to return (either full-time or for a more 'final' exit) and it never eventuated for some reason?

I am curious to know if anyone knows the behind-the-scenes decision to have her killed off months after Clarissa left the show.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have preferred Beth to stay living in Summer Bay House and become  the central mother instead of Sally.  Sally seemed too young to act as foster mum to Ric and Cassie.

Clarrissa House said in an interview that both H&A and her agreed that her character had served its purpose and she wanted move on to new projects. 

So I kind of think it was her choice to leave or otherwise Clarissa would said if she was axed . 

I think if she had stayed then Tony would not have been axed and Tony and Beth would  have married.  There would have been no Rachel and Tony as a couple and I could see Xavier and Jett and many other teens  moving in with them.  John and Gina would not of become regulars and Braxtons would move into John and Gina house . 

I think too given Beth more purpose is maybe she could gone  to uni to become teacher and then eventually principal. 

I always wish Beth and Ailsa had met. 

From Chloe's death in 2005 through to early/mid 2014ish, I basically only watched the "milestone" moments - Flynn's death, Sally's exit, returns of classic characters (Marilyn, Roo, Fisher, Tom, Gypsy) and Beth's death.

Compared to the other episodes, Beth's death was a bit cheap and wasn't really worth the effort of tuning in. As I said, I didn't watch much of 2006 or the latter half of 2005, but was she still a major character during that time (especially after the family dropped away) or was she relegated to the sidelines like many older characters are? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived