Kirsty and Kane

Traceve

I was about 11 or so when Kirsty and Kane first became a couple. I loved them so much and thought Dani was a pain for trying to keep them apart. I didn’t understand fully what Dani had gone through. Years later when they brought back KK only to have them get divorced I was devastated.

Recently I’ve been rewatching this storyline on YouTube (the whole thing is in there). Dani was definitely not a pain at all. I still love Kirsty and Kane and do believe Kane changed but... damn the writers were brave going in the direction of having someone fall in love with their sisters rapist. Can anyone remember what the feedback was like at the time from the general audience? I know KK ended up being so popular that’s Sam Atwell was brought back but just what was the controversy like? 

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly divided fans, and the producers lapped up the controversy. I get the feeling Kirsty and Kane were initially not meant to be permanent and the romance was just meant to cause tension for the Sutherlands in 2002, but then it proved popular and the reaction was so strong, so he was brought back as a regular, when Kirsty and Kane married. 

I can't remember if the rest of the family ever accepted the relationship, nor what Dani and Kirsty's relationship was in 2004, but I can't really recall Dani and Kirsty really sharing many scenes together after the rest of the Sutherlands had gone. 

Though I never liked the character (even during his regular stint) but well done the writers for turning a rapist into one of the most popular characters at the time. Was Sam Atwell written out just to give Kirsty a "happy" ending in 2005, as his regular stint was quite brief? I could see him becoming quite lost if he'd stuck around without her in 2005. 

On 27/09/2018 at 11:29, adam436 said:

It certainly divided fans, and the producers lapped up the controversy. I get the feeling Kirsty and Kane were initially not meant to be permanent and the romance was just meant to cause tension for the Sutherlands in 2002, but then it proved popular and the reaction was so strong, so he was brought back as a regular, when Kirsty and Kane married. 

I can't remember if the rest of the family ever accepted the relationship, nor what Dani and Kirsty's relationship was in 2004, but I can't really recall Dani and Kirsty really sharing many scenes together after the rest of the Sutherlands had gone. 

Though I never liked the character (even during his regular stint) but well done the writers for turning a rapist into one of the most popular characters at the time. Was Sam Atwell written out just to give Kirsty a "happy" ending in 2005, as his regular stint was quite brief? I could see him becoming quite lost if he'd stuck around without her in 2005. 

If I remember right, Dani said something like that she was tired of hating Kane. This, as well as seeing how much Kane genuinely cared for Kirsty meant that she wouldn't fight him any more. The rest of the Sutherlands accepted this. And when Kirsty and Kane renewed their vows, her parents and Dani were all happy to be there.

9 minutes ago, Jamie! said:

If I remember right, Dani said something like that she was tired of hating Kane. This, as well as seeing how much Kane genuinely cared for Kirsty meant that she wouldn't fight him any more. The rest of the Sutherlands accepted this. And when Kirsty and Kane renewed their vows, her parents and Dani were all happy to be there.

Sutherland era is worst in my book and try to desperately to forget it. 

Only Sutherland I like was Shelley. 

We lost Judy and Norman in that era. 

6 hours ago, j.laur5 said:

Sutherland era is worst in my book and try to desperately to forget it. 

Only Sutherland I like was Shelley. 

And she was the first to leave by over a year :P

I quite like Max, Jade was okay, and Kirsty was good before the Kane stuff. Dani got better towards the end, I think once Will left. I couldn't stand Rhys though. You could also lump Brodie in with them, and she was by far, worse than all of them. 

Archived