Question about early years reruns contract situation

Sally Keating

How could 5* in the UK have repeated in 2012 selected episodes from 1996, 97, 98 etc, if Channel 7 is saying that episodes from these years have expired their allowed number of reruns?

If that was the case, 5* wouldn't have been able to show those three episodes from each year.

Or was it just those particular episodes which reached the "rerun" limit by being shown in 2012? In which case,  all the other episodes from these years are still valid for another showing.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd be happy to watch these years with the compromise that a couple of eps per year are skipped over (the ones 5* showed which are now expired).

(Also the only other explanation I can think of is that the episodes 5* showed from 96 etc, were already expired - which would mean all the others from those years are too - and that Channel 5 simply paid over above and beyond for the royalties for just those particular episodes.  But from what I can tell, we have no conformation of that, which brings us back to my original question).

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Tricky one. I have worked for the best part of 5 years as a theatrical agent. I would think that the problems most likely lies within individual actors contracts.

One contract will be different to another one so when you consider how many actors have made their way through Summer Bay. It would be a mammoth task. I am sure there are a few people on this forum who wouldn't mind going through them all. ha.

Producers may have wanted to renew an actors contract who perhaps had become extremely popular with viewers. Then the agent/manager may have struck a deal for future reruns or releases and they could have even embargoed it from a certain cut off point etc (and that's just the beginning - I wont bore you too much about that). I imagine around the 1995 era when Home and away was topping the ratings- things in HR would have been quite something. The actors (and their managers) would have been in quite a powerful position.

It's a shame if that is the case because it didn't do them any good anyway did it? It's only really the viewers that suffer. 

I too was loving the early year re-runs. Who knows there may well be a loophole to be found. It is very interesting though. 

Sorry but that wasn't my question  at all.

Although  it was very interesting to read so thank u for sharing. 

Maybe I'll re-word it. Channel 7 said they can't repeat episodes from 96 onwards because they have expired their allowed number of screenings. But 5* showed a handful of episodes from these years a few years ago. How?

Either the episodes had already expired and 5 paid way over the odds for the extra royalties to repeat those eps (highly unlikely).

Or that simply by screening those episodes, 5* made those particular episodes expire, but all other episodes from those years are still fair game. And that Channel 7 have cancelled the full run simply because there are a couple of episodes from each year they can't show.

Is it possible for them to renew the contract?

Anyway, what music would they have that's copyrighted? The OST and incidental music was made for the show, it's not like they're using APMs like Prisoner did (could you just imagine "Computer Crime" by George Fenton playing during the Bushfire scene of '95?). Unless you're talking about all the background songs that played in the Diner, I guess they're copyrighted, but still, they're mostly, if not all homegrown songs, which would make it easier for Channel 7 to get in touch with managers and recording companies.

Anyway, seeing as how my viewing of Prisoner will finish in late October, I am hoping they bring back Home and Away: The Early Years.

I don't know the exact episode range, but I wouldn't have minded if they skipped a few hundred episodes to when the screening rights were valid again. I doubt I'd have watched the 7Two reruns once we hit the 2001 season anyway (aside from the "milestone" episodes like Fisher's exit, weddings, deaths, key returns etc), but I know many fans would have :)

Yes. I really want it to carry on from where it left off.. It's those last lot of episodes before the credits change that are the most rarest due to never being repeated so I would like to see them more then anything else to be honest. Which includes Jacks last episode as well as Michaels. 

On 01/08/2018 at 18:57, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Is it possible for them to renew the contract?

Anyway, what music would they have that's copyrighted? The OST and incidental music was made for the show, it's not like they're using APMs like Prisoner did (could you just imagine "Computer Crime" by George Fenton playing during the Bushfire scene of '95?). Unless you're talking about all the background songs that played in the Diner, I guess they're copyrighted, but still, they're mostly, if not all homegrown songs, which would make it easier for Channel 7 to get in touch with managers and recording companies.

Anyway, seeing as how my viewing of Prisoner will finish in late October, I am hoping they bring back Home and Away: The Early Years.

I thought actually songs still played in background in like the diner and surf club on occasion

Archived