Irene's development

Blaxland 89

Does anyone remember when Irene had a proper journey,

starting from when she moved to the bay and worked hard as a reform alcoholic. 

Then getting a job in the diner.

then moving on to trying to to find more work. Who could forget the montage of job interviews with I've got a plan playing in the background

then getting job as school secretary. 

The in the noughties her going back to uni

becoming educated

becoming a business women

it all seems to be lost now. It's very hit and miss. I feel viewers aren't allowed to know Irene as closely as they used to. Especially with the mick drama and beyond. As a full time viewer I feel I know longer know who this person is. 

Opinions please? 

I like how Ailsa was the first person to treat Irene with full respect. I remember when Lynne first appeared as Irene Ailsa approached her like an old friend and didn't hold her past against her. 

Yet Ailsa later that year was not willing to give her sister in law Morag a chance. 

I do wonder if Irene was ever meant to be a regular. She was a sporadic guest character for a few years (played by Jacqui Phillips and then Lynne), but then only became a regular after Bobby died. I wonder if she was meant to be the long-term foster mum at the beach house - taking in the likes of Selina, Chloe, the Smiths etc. - but then Nicole Dickson quit.

Irene has an incredibly journey as a character, perhaps more than any other character, but I agree, it feels a bit lost and trivial when you look at her onscreen now.

I guess much of the history has been lost in general though. It's easy to forget Leah is the same bubbly girl from the traditional Greek family she was back in 2000 and Roo's "journey" from the character she was in 1988 is quite trivial now too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been watching some of the 1992 and 1993 episodes, and it's interesting to see how and why they brought Irene back - albeit with a different actress, the one we've known and loved ever since. But she was fully (re)formed, both character wise and story wise. Having her kids there in the Ross house was smart, so she was a natural choice to have to fill in when Pippa went off to have another sprog of her own.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:39, Blaxland 89 said:

Does anyone remember when Irene had a proper journey,

starting from when she moved to the bay and worked hard as a reform alcoholic. 

Then getting a job in the diner.

then moving on to trying to to find more work. Who could forget the montage of job interviews with I've got a plan playing in the background

then getting job as school secretary. 

The in the noughties her going back to uni

becoming educated

becoming a business women

it all seems to be lost now. It's very hit and miss. I feel viewers aren't allowed to know Irene as closely as they used to. Especially with the mick drama and beyond. As a full time viewer I feel I know longer know who this person is. 

Opinions please? 

I feel her journey would have been better from 2015-now if Clare, who first came to her door, was the child Irene had. I feel it would have been good to see what her daughter gets up to and give her some family, as long as it didn't end up being where Clare is just another Roo, Marilyn, Irene and Leah. Clare and Irene looked similar too, which helps.

Also Marilyn had good development too. She certainly has turned into a very strong and wise woman. Morag commented on Marilyn turning into a strong person in 2017 and if anyone would noticed it would be Morag. 

I think even 80's Morag could see that a tragic childhood caused Marilyn to be like she was and I think, in funny way, Morag looked at Marilyn as a 2nd chance of being a Mum. She looked at  Marilyn as a project to help her become more wise and mature.

Marilyn sitll has her funny personality but she is certainly far from being the naive ,dizzy girl from 1989.

But she even matured by  thetime she left in 1992 . 

Archived