Retcons

adam436

I guess retcons are probably major and more often than not deliberate, sometimes ruining characters' credibility in the process (i.e. Alf in the Martha storyline, Helen Daniels and Max Ramsay in the Neighbours' Ramsay family one), whereas continuity errors are just that.. errors. That's my view anyway! 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think a retcon necessarily needs to ruin a character, and if it does people can probably get over it (revealing Donald had an affair with his sister's wife while she was pregnant was pretty damaging but didn't exactly define the character) but I do think they need to be deliberate rather than someone just not remembering the details.Alf having known his first wife was still alive for 30 years and not telling anyone is a retcon. Colleen's estranged husband having two different names is a continuity error. But I guess there are grey areas where you suspect the people responsible didn't really know if a question had already been answered or not.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, joany208121 said:

Kirsty and Jade not being twins was unnecessary I think.

Norhing more than an exit storyline for Jade, they could have easily written her out with out it. Didn't Jade go off the rails over this, being the reason Duncan and Seb got into car crash that paralyzed Seb making him leave the bay, and then Jade straight after?

I HATED Seb and Jade together (because Nick and Jade were one of my favorites of all time) but giving them a happy ending was just one way they could have avoided the not being twins thing and still write her out.

20 hours ago, joany208121 said:

Kirsty and Jade not being twins was unnecessary I think.

I loved the twin telepathy bit. So I hated this.

On 18/06/2018 at 02:01, Red Ranger 1 said:

Colleen being a Stewart, although that didn't really contradict anything apart from a couple of lines in 1988 when she and Morag were said to be the same age.

Do they have the same father or mother?  If father that works.

1 hour ago, harrietjames said:

Do they have the same father or mother?  If father that works.

Father, but the point is that Colleen was said to be their father's first born, quite a few years older than Alf never mind Morag, the result of an affair he had around the time he got married.

• 1 month later...

Archived