Retcons

adam436

I just read an article about times when Neighbours rewrote history, which got me thinking about terrible Retcons we've had on H&A. I don't think H&A has had anywhere near as many as Neighbours to be honest... 

Obviously the Martha one would be at the front of everyone's minds after the recent storyline, but what others have there have been? 

The only other bad one I can think of would have to be Shauna/Ailsa. I often wonder if it was the final straw for Judy Nunn to quit, as she'd supposedly been bored and unhappy with the show for some time. Again, it's nowhere near as bad as the recent Martha one, but it's still not great. If Judy and Kylie Watson had stuck around for a long time for the relationship to develop (a la Fisher and Bobby), it would have been worth it, but they were both gone within 18 months of the revelation. I don't even recall her having much to do with Alf and Duncan after Ailsa died either, but it's been a while since I've watched 2001.

From what I've heard about the Miles/Milco one (I was not watching in 2008), it wasn't bad, but I do find it odd for Sally's long-lost twin to show up, only for her to leave Summer Bay. When the revelation first happened, I assumed Josh Quong-Tart was a guest and they were going to leave as a family. Maybe TPTB felt the show needed a blood link to Sally for some reason... 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Ailsa/Shauna reveal worked from a storyline point of view, despite making no sense from a timescale perspective.Alf and Shauna were pretty close for the remainder of her time on the show.

Bobby being Donald and Morag's daughter probably wasn't planned from the start, there was no suggestion she was adopted in the early episodes.While it brought a close relationship with Donald, as far as Morag was concerned we only had a few months when they were on the show together, it gave her an excuse to return in 1993 and then it was barely mentioned during Morag's 21st century appearances to the point that I don't think she mentioned Bobby's name once.

Colleen being a Stewart, although that didn'r really contradict anything apart from a couple of lines in 1988 when she and Morag were said to be the same age.

13 hours ago, adam436 said:

When the revelation first happened, I assumed Josh Quong-Tart was a guest and they were going to leave as a family. Maybe TPTB felt the show needed a blood link to Sally for some reason...

The idea was that Miles was to become the 'spirit of Sally' in the show following her departure, Josh Quong Tart signed an extended contract (four years) from the beginning for that reason.

13 hours ago, adam436 said:

I don't even recall her having much to do with Alf and Duncan after Ailsa died either, but it's been a while since I've watched 2001.

Further to RR1's comment about Alf/Shauna, whilst the rest was pretty immemorable (and he'd gone by July anyway), there continued to be a fair amount between Shauna and Duncan in the immediate few months after Ailsa's death - for most of that time Duncan was living with Shauna, Sally and Leah at the sharehouse.

I suppose retcons have never been a recent thing to H&A. Yes, take the Bobby parentage thing. I think that was a bit of a jump the shark moment in the so called "golden era" of the show. Nothing was ever said or hinted about Bobby being the secret daughter of her worst enemy - her own vice principal/principal, with her mother being an acid tongued lawyer who is related to half of Summer Bay folk. I think when the show begun, Bobby was meant to be the blood daughter of Al and Doris.

1 hour ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I suppose retcons have never been a recent thing to H&A. Yes, take the Bobby parentage thing. I think that was a bit of a jump the shark moment in the so called "golden era" of the show. Nothing was ever said or hinted about Bobby being the secret daughter of her worst enemy - her own vice principal/principal, with her mother being an acid tongued lawyer who is related to half of Summer Bay folk. I think when the show begun, Bobby was meant to be the blood daughter of Al and Doris.

Yeah....if Alf was aware, why would he allow his niece to end up being the town derro? I would’ve thought when he found out,  he would’ve continued where Martha left off, looking out for Bobby .

In my opinion Alex Papps leaving/telling the producers he wanted to leave changed a lot of the storyline for Bobby. I’ve mentioned before that I don’t think her character was meant to have a happy ending but I didn’t expect things to spin out of control so fast. I don’t think Alan was supposed to die quickly either.

Same with Tom/Roger leaving. That Pippa affair storyline was very bizarre as they were happily married for years, if anything I would’ve expected Tom to have the affair since he was feeling confused after the stroke. 

3 hours ago, Homeandawayfan. said:

I think when the show begun, Bobby was meant to be the blood daughter of Al and Doris

That would make sense, though I'm not sure about Doris. Maybe Colleen though?

It would have made enemies Roo and Bobby sisters instead of cousins and also made her BFF Ailsa her step mum.

Maybe the plan changed once Corneila Frances was cast, as they knew theybjad a brilliant actor on their hands and wanted to give her something meaty to work with..

14 minutes ago, adam436 said:

That would make sense, though I'm not sure about Doris. Maybe Colleen though?

Bobby's (adoptive) parents were Al & Doris Simpson so I'm not sure where Colleen has come from.... are you getting mixed up with Doris Peters perhaps?

There are times when it's hard to tell what the difference is between a retcon and a continuity error, but I think Angel's ever-changing back story definitely crossed the line with the introduction of Dylan and the reveal that her father kicked her out when she was pregnant, which contradicted just about everything previously established about her history.

Archived