2018 FIFA World Cup - Russia

Slade

Wow, what an exciting finish to Group B.  Both games the referees seemed to lose control.  Spain were top of the group, then Portugal and then Spain right at the end.  I do think the Spanish were lucky as Ronaldo really should have put Portugal 2-0 in front, Iran shouldn't have been awarded a penalty and the Spanish goal was just a flick that went in virtually right at the end.  So because Ronaldo missed a penalty and Portugal drew 1-1 with Iran they now have to face Uruguay instead of Russia.

Uruguay were impressive with their 3-0 victory over the hosts so Portugal will find them extremely difficult opponents.  You would expect Spain to beat Russia but if they played like they did last night against Morocco they could get beaten and will have to improve.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 23 June 2018 at 00:45, pembie said:

Lets hope you get Iran then

I actually made a massive mistake earlier assuming teams from Group C would play Group B teams. As a matter of fact, Group C teams will encounter Group D teams in the last 16 so everything I stated about Australia encountering Spain, Portugal or Iran should be ignored.

So if Australia somehow defeat Peru, and France can defeat Denmark (hopefully by 2+ goals) then Australia will probably play Croatia in the last 16.

As it stands for the knockout stages:

• Uruguay v Portugal
  • Spain v Russia

The Group C matches start in 30 minutes.

Sorry about the error.

7 minutes ago, Jezz said:

I actually made a massive mistake earlier assuming teams from Group C would play Group B teams. As a matter of fact, Group C teams will encounter Group D teams in the last 16 so everything I stated about Australia encountering Spain, Portugal or Iran should be ignored.

So if Australia somehow defeat Peru, and France can defeat Denmark (hopefully by 2+ goals) then Australia will probably play Croatia in the last 16.

As it stands for the knockout stages:

• Uruguay v Portugal
  • Spain v Russia

The Group C matches start in 30 minutes.

Sorry about the error.

No worries enjoy today's matches 

I've always had a soft spot for Argentina (probably because of my love for Maradonna) so I was pleased they qualified although they were hardly convincing and were a bit lucky because Nigeria had a couple of chances to take a 2-1 lead (Although we had another bad penalty decision even worse than the Australia game).  Nothing against Nigeria but I want to see all the best/big teams through to the next round and think France vs Argentina will be much better than France vs Nigeria.

Didn't see the afternoon games but we got our first 0-0 with France/Denmark.  From what I've been reading Denmark have been quite negative with their play so I'm not expecting much from their second round game with Croatia.

So we have the conclusion of Groups E and F today.  Although it would probably be an exciting match, I'm kind of hoping that Germany can avoid Brazil in the second round.  I'm expecting Brazil to top the group and expecting Germany to win comfortably against South Korea so the only way Germany will finish first is for Mexico to lose against Sweden and for them to have a higher goal difference by thrashing South Korea.  I did say to a couple of people at my gym after Mexico beat Germany that we could have a rock-paper-scissor scenario.  So I was expecting Germany to beat Sweden and Sweden to beat Mexico.  All 3 teams to beat South Korea of course.  It's going to be extremely difficult for Sweden because they have to beat Mexico whereas Mexico only need a draw to top the group and they will want to try and avoid Brazil themselves.

We could have a really interesting scenario where if Germany beat South Korea 1-0 and Sweden beat Mexico 2-1, all 3 teams will have the same goal difference and goals scored.  I'm not sure if Mexico would go through because they have the weakest goals scored between the 3 teams (they would do it this way in the Euros) but it may be different here where it comes down to yellow cards then drawing of lots.

So, we had a boringly predictable few days after a few shocks in the opening games.Spain and Portugal both go through, France and Denmark both go through (sorry, Australia), Argentina get a late winner to scrape through in second and then...what the hell?! When even a 0-0 draw wouldn't have been enough to see Germany through, thanks to Sweden thumping three past Mexico, South Korea get two goals in injury time and send the holders out, bottom of the group! So, at least we won't go out to them. After that, I barely registered Brazil and Switzerland going the predictable route.

All of which led to a bit of anti-climax with England losing 1-0 in their last game.A sign of things to come or a sign that we really need to play Harry Kane? Going out in the second round certainly looks a possibility but maybe they'll surprise us. So, with Poland salvaging a bit of pride by beating Japan in their last game and causing them to slip to second (and only qualify on their disciplinary record!), it's Colombia on Tuesday up for us next and I'm not convinced I won't be left relieved I didn't risk that tenner...

Archived