2018 FIFA World Cup - Russia

Slade

OK folks so it starts today.  Biggest surprise is no Italy.  First time since 1958.  Not sure who's going to win but given that it's in Europe you would expect a European team to win it.  I think Germany have a good chance to retain it given their track record.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain sacking their manager just before the tournament probably rules them out...

Probably not going to see much until they start having less than three games a day, and cursing the fact that England's first game is on Monday, which is going to be my busiest day of the month. Hopefully we'll do better than last time, couldn't really do worse...

On 14/06/2018 at 17:59, Red Ranger 1 said:

Spain sacking their manager just before the tournament probably rules them out...

I couldn't understand that after I read your post but then the BBC explained last night.  I guess the Spanish FA didn't want to come across as weak but they've done this potentially at the expense of the national side.  In saying that I thought Spain looked quite good yesterday.  Their possession was top class.  Really good game although barring a goal keeping error and Pique giving away a foul in a bad area they probably should have won that game.  Have to give credit to Ronaldo as much as I can't stand the guy.

Didn't see the Russia game although against Saudi Arabia I did raise an eyebrow when I first heard about the scoreline.  I fully expect them to top the group.

Haven't really been impressed with any of the other teams I've seen so far.

Looking forward to seeing Argentina later on today.  And of course Germany and Brazil.  Haven't seen Brazil play competitively since the last world cup so have no idea how good that team is.

With England realistically getting out of the group stage would be a result.

14 hours ago, pembie said:

Silly question but when do England play their opening game?

Monday. Which is now tomorrow...

I'm tempted to take up your challenge and put a bet on England reaching the quarter-finals but that would guarantee they wouldn't.I bet on Brazil reaching the final at the last tournament and they promptly had the worst defeat in their history.

2 hours ago, Red Ranger 1 said:

Monday. Which is now tomorrow...

I'm tempted to take up your challenge and put a bet on England reaching the quarter-finals but that would guarantee they wouldn't.I bet on Brazil reaching the final at the last tournament and they promptly had the worst defeat in their history.

I must admit I don't really understand betting odds so maybe my suggestion of placing a tenner on then is abit outrageous ? I don't want to send you bankrupt Red 

Enjoy the match once you finish your work 

The big three have been disappointing.  An Argentina draw with Iceland and Messi missing a penalty, Germany losing to Mexico and Brazil drawing with Switzerland.  Albeit in the case of Germany and Brazil both teams they were playing against were quite good I still expected better performances.  I still expect Germany and Brazil to qualify and do well.  Not so sure about Argentina getting far in this competition.

Archived